SportsWrath

Defensive end Osi Umenyiora questions role, future with NY Giants

Mr. P

So his solution is give up on the field. I don't want players like that on my team.

I wouldnt go as far to say he gave up. He knew what his strengths were and he knew he was not being allowed to utilize his strengths. He knew that with the shitty scheme Sheridan was putting together, no matter what he did he would still be less than effective. He played to his fullest, but the scheme made him look mediocre. I think once Sheridone goes - Osi will be back as the Osi we all know him to be.

I wouldnt go as far to say he gave up. He knew what his strengths were and he knew he was not being allowed to utilize his strengths. He knew that with the shitty scheme Sheridan was putting together, no matter what he did he would still be less than effective. He played to his fullest, but the scheme made him look mediocre. I think once Sheridone goes - Osi will be back as the Osi we all know him to be.

The scheme that had him rushing the passer on 3rd downs and rotating with other defensive ends on downs that could possibly be runs? I don't get what you're saying, that's precisely the same role he had in Spagnuolo's defense. Fact is, he was asked to rush the passer the first 12 or so games, he failed, and he was replaced. I don't see how Sheridan's scheme had any effect on Osi. He was OCCASIONALLY asked to drop back into coverage maybe 4 or 5 times this year, and yes, that's stupid, but every other time he was asked to rush the passer and he just didn't get pressure. It wasn't like Sheridan put reigns on him and told him to stay at home...

If anyone should have gripes about what they were being asked to do it would be the corners, safeties, and linebackers.....wonky and slow developing blitzes, leaving weak links (Bruce Johnson, CC, etc) on islands against team's best wide receivers, retarded coverage schemes in which players had no clue what their assignments were and no one had any over the top help, etc...

I think Osi is completely out of line. The dude played like ass the entire year. I don't care if he was asked to play for Peter Griffin, at no point do you give up on your coach and your team. Maybe it's his injury from last year, maybe it's his desire to have a lucrative contract that he doesn't deserve...I don't know....but it certainly wasn't because Sheridan asked him to do something he wasn't comfortable or good at. He simply asked him to rush the passer. Sheridan can't force Osi to quit his habit of running himself out of plays time after time.

he should've got a pre-nup from them too!

Boy I could smell how love sick Strahan was all those years ago when he was still happily married to that former wife of his...Jesus she was spending his money like no one's business....I think she had them buy some kind of house in Jersey that was turn of the century with some history to it and with her telling the media that they were trying to turn it into some kind of hybrid bed and breakfast museum combo...lol. Two things you keep ballplayers of any stripe far from because they don't know what the fuck they are doing in this regard: Restaurants....and anything to do with real estate...stay the fuck away from those two domains. LOL!!!

And when she was mouthing off on how much this cost and that cost and he is just sitting there clueless with a big smile on his face....this was during the time of Strahan/Tiki going at each other....around the 2000-02 era....can't remember exactly. But he was spending money faster than he was earning it on that money pit. Bet you she got that too. And I am looking at this chick and let me tell you she was nothing special and I remember telling some of my married buddies that this chick would fleece him and leave him broke...and that once the money ran out she would walk if they stayed together.

Love sure hurts...and Strahan hopefully learned a good lesson and will not be giving all of his dough to the Ex Mrs. Eddie Murphy. :jerkoff:

I remember under Rod Rust...you had guys like Pepper Johnson openly saying he was going to free lance as the read and react scheme was not Giants Football.

I remember under Rod Rust...you had guys like Pepper Johnson openly saying he was going to free lance as the read and react scheme was not Giants Football.

There is a great excerpt in L.T. book about when he was playing in Rust's system. I forget what team it was against, but the Giants

were down big at half time and Taylor goes to Reasons:

Taylor: "Fuck, this..lets play stack cover 2..everyone in this huddle knows it."

Reasons: "The coaches."

Taylor: "I don't care."

Giants win.

While watching the film, Reasons and Taylor are giving these dumbass hang gyrations, movements, etc and Rust goes to Taylor:

Rust: "Lawrence what happened here?"

L.T." Musta saw something, coach."

Finally after seeing about 12 in a row Rust goes "What happened here Lawrence..oh wait..I guess you saw something."

There is a great excerpt in L.T. book about when he was playing in Rust's system. I forget what team it was against, but the Giants

were down big at half time and Taylor goes to Reasons:

Taylor: "Fuck, this..lets play stack cover 2..everyone in this huddle knows it."

Reasons: "The coaches."

Taylor: "I don't care."

Giants win.

While watching the film, Reasons and Taylor are giving these dumbass hang gyrations, movements, etc and Rust goes to Taylor:

Rust: "Lawrence what happened here?"

L.T." Musta saw something, coach."

Finally after seeing about 12 in a row Rust goes "What happened here Lawrence..oh wait..I guess you saw something."

:LMAO:

Boy I could smell how love sick Strahan was all those years ago when he was still happily married to that former wife of his...Jesus she was spending his money like no one's business....I think she had them buy some kind of house in Jersey that was turn of the century with some history to it and with her telling the media that they were trying to turn it into some kind of hybrid bed and breakfast museum combo...lol. Two things you keep ballplayers of any stripe far from because they don't know what the fuck they are doing in this regard: Restaurants....and anything to do with real estate...stay the fuck away from those two domains. LOL!!!

And when she was mouthing off on how much this cost and that cost and he is just sitting there clueless with a big smile on his face....this was during the time of Strahan/Tiki going at each other....around the 2000-02 era....can't remember exactly. But he was spending money faster than he was earning it on that money pit. Bet you she got that too. And I am looking at this chick and let me tell you she was nothing special and I remember telling some of my married buddies that this chick would fleece him and leave him broke...and that once the money ran out she would walk if they stayed together.

Love sure hurts...and Strahan hopefully learned a good lesson and will not be giving all of his dough to the Ex Mrs. Eddie Murphy. :jerkoff:

I dunno...Than Merril from Flip This House is a former NFL player...and he holds Real Estate Workshops for the NFL, regularly...

I dunno...Than Merril from Flip This House is a former NFL player...and he holds Real Estate Workshops for the NFL, regularly...

Of course there are exceptions to the rule....I am talking about the majority of guys...not the one in a hundred. We can find exceptions everywhere. My cousin is an accountant and she has many ballplayers as her clients and she can tell you the same thing. She spends a lot of her time trying to keep guys from investing in this restaurant...that piece of property....this business venture. Most of them are money pits.

Say what you will about Osi but the one glaring difference this year is Sheridan.

And players not playing well.

The same basic D personnel that Tim Lewis shit the bed with Spags won a Superbowl with and the same basic D personnel that Spags took to the playoffs with some big injuries, Sheridan allowed 4 or 5 40+ point games with. Bad DCs and players not playing well go hand in hand.

The same basic D personnel that Tim Lewis shit the bed with Spags won a Superbowl with and the same basic D personnel that Spags took to the playoffs with some big injuries, Sheridan allowed 4 or 5 40+ point games with. Bad DCs and players not playing well go hand in hand.

Terrell Thomas is our leading tackler. I rest my case.

You're fooling yourself if you think the reason we played poorly is solely Bill Sheridan. He can't rush the passer and he can't cover wide receivers.

Bill Sheridan will be out, but we still need some upgrades on the defense. And it starts with the linebackers and safeties.

You're fooling yourself if you think the reason we played poorly is solely Bill Sheridan. He can't rush the passer and he can't cover wide receivers.

no, i blame coughlin reese and injuries too. let's face it- no off season move panned out and with the exception of nicks, no draft pick made an impact.

Bill Sheridan will be out, but we still need some upgrades on the defense. And it starts with the linebackers and safeties.

Yes players do play, and this team had a lot of injuries. You can't deny that bad DCs make the players on the field look bad. This defense needs upgrades in the LBs and safeties, but a good DC would be able to cover some deficiencies in personnel with the scheme and Sheridan certainly does not do that. If they bring in a high energy guy, like Fox and Spags were, this D will instantly get better. Everyone got that Tim Lewis feeling once BS said he wanted to sit in the booth during the games, and he definately did his best impression of him.

no, i blame coughlin reese and injuries too. let's face it- no off season move panned out and with the exception of nicks, no draft pick made an impact.

True. I just don't buy the whole, bringing in a new DC will immediately fix this defense. It might help, but the talent just isn't there at the linebacker and secondary positions. And now it seems it's not there at the DT position either.

Regardless, I realize Sheridan sucks and his schemes, especially involving any blitzes or anything requiring a safety to decide who to help on the fly, were garbage.

True. I just don't buy the whole, bringing in a new DC will immediately fix this defense. It might help, but the talent just isn't there at the linebacker and secondary positions. And now it seems it's not there at the DT position either.

Regardless, I realize Sheridan sucks and his schemes, especially involving any blitzes or anything requiring a safety to decide who to help on the fly, were garbage.

Especially brain dead veteran safeties....or young guys pressed into service for the position.

Who in there right mind is going to give up a 2nd rounder for Osi? I mean, I guess anything is possible, Gaines Adams was traded for a

2nd rounder.

Two words: Oakland Raiders. They'd probably give up a first-rounder for him.

Poor wittle Osi. He's not happy. Should I get him a fucking pacifier now? Lug...first let me say that I agree with you that Sheridan has to go. But can you explain to me why you and a lot of other people think the Mara's and the rest of the organization should bend over backwards for Osi Umenyiora? Right from day one (when he left practice with his head down, while stomping his feet) because he didn't agree with what Sheridan was trying to do. Wah,wah,wah. Grow the fuck up. Then he probably turned everyone else on the defense against the poor guy. They never gave him a chance. Sheridan's job was doomed from the start becuase Spags was loved so much by these guys. But Osi took it personal and therefore took it to another level. How about you suck it up for then sake of the TEAM, Osi? Was that to hard to do? Is that why you are going to go from pro-bowler to off-season bowler? He played like absolute shit this year. Like he was going through the motions and couldn't wait for the season to end. I lost all respect for Osi. I say we dump his ass. He's obviously not a team player......FUCK HIM! :furious:

Normally I'd agree, but Sheridan has been SO bad this year that this might be the one occasion where I agree with the whiny player over the coach. Osi got pissed this summer because he disagreed with the schemes... turns out the schemes are AWFUL. Osi is a former Pro Bowler, and Sheridan is... let's face it... a nobody. I'm with Osi on this one.

Two words: Oakland Raiders. They'd probably give up a first-rounder for him.

Normally I'd agree, but Sheridan has been SO bad this year that this might be the one occasion where I agree with the whiny player over the coach. Osi got pissed this summer because he disagreed with the schemes... turns out the schemes are AWFUL. Osi is a former Pro Bowler, and Sheridan is... let's face it... a nobody. I'm with Osi on this one.

I dunno...I thought it was Osi disagreeing with how he was going to be utilized....a typical me-first player, if you ask me.

Fuck I'm tired of reading this horseshit overreactions about players needing to be jettisoned and everyone needing firing.

FUCK THIS. KEEP IT FUCKING REAL. Tuck had a bad year because he was playing with a partially torn labrum. And he still looked phenomenal at times. As for Osi, while he had his issues, most people familiar with his injury said it takes a year and a half before someone comes back from what he came back from. You're talking about a former Pro Bowler, a guy who has had double digit sack seasons and it's not like he fucking mailed it in this year, either. For the most part, he handled his demotion with pretty good restraint. He has fucking 7 sacks people. That is 20th in the NFL What fucking 2nd rounder do you want that's going to replace him? He has 4 forced fumbles, and that is 10th in the NFL. I will take a healthy Osi over 95% of the DE's in the NFL, no problem. The guy has one more sacks than Justin Tuck, and has only one sack fewer than Mario Williams, and that is after playing only part time the last few games. I like Kiwanuka but both him and Osi are still under contract for 2010 so people need to STFU and appreciate that we have 3 very good DE's on this team that have helped us win in the past and will again in the future. Fuck, people want to jettison very good players for fucking picks because they had a bad moment after an embarrassing loss in front of a camera? FUCK THAT NOISE.

Sheridan needs to go. It's obvious the guy does not make adjustments, his schemes do not work, and he has totally lost his players.

No one really questioned the leadership of the defense when Pierce was still playing. That said, it's time to get a stud at that position because's Pierce's on-field ability is not up to par with the better MLB's in the NFL.

This team lost because it is not very good at linebacker or at safety. And when you have Kevin Dockery starting and your safeties are Michael Johnson, CC Brown, and Aaron Rouse... you are going to get lit up through the air, and on the ground, as well.

Give me a whole season of Alford, Phillips, Canty, and Ross back and I guarantee that what happened this year does not happen again. This team needs tweaking... not an overhaul. It needs relatively good health and better depth... we didn't have that this year, so we lost. But Eli just turned in a career year, and we discovered new talent that will get better in year 2, like Nicks.... so there is a lot to be hopeful for. We are not the Detroit Lions, the Oakland Raiders, or the Kansas City Chiefs. We have a champion QB and are a player or two from going back to the Super Bowl.

Learn how to lose a game (or even a season) with a little bit of sensibility people.

Pierce just isn't very good. A complete and utter liability to the defense. Regardless of how much of a leader he is. He could do that from the sidelines for all I care...a la Charles Way. It wasn't like the defense experienced a huge drop off once he was gone for the season.

Umenyiora can't stop the run and whines when he's not on the field. That's bullshit.

He has one pass rush move and can't come in and dominate a game like Michael Strahan or Justin Tuck can. Keep Kiwanuka in and I guarantee you're going to see a much better all around player.

Again, there's a reason why Tuck got the contract and not Umenyiora.