SportsWrath

Goodell is wrong about the UK market

UK-Giantsfan

Goodell seems to think that the UK market could support multiple games .....and even a franchise in London

It would be a total disaster .......you are wrong Roger !

The reason i love the NFL is becasue it encapsulates everything about the USA , and has great history and integrity to America.

If you are a European fan of the NFL you are passionate about one team ( eg. The Giants ) and probably have been since the early 80's .........i could never support a London team and i dont know anyone else who would either ?

Goodell is confusing the fact that 85,000 of us trot down to Wembley once each year with genuine week in week out support of one team. ( no one would turn up )

American fans generally hate the idea of a London team because of the disruption to the schedule , travelling nightmare , losing a home game etc.... and i dont blame them !

.....and the thought of ever having a Superbowl in London is plainly absurd. !

Keep it the way it is please Roger !

thanks for your input, but i heard in England, Soccer (football) fans are nutz, they go to every game. that's money pit right there and i guess the commish is trying to dig in on that market.. Unlike the U.S, where we have football, baseball, basketball, hockey all year round. And they are command great fan fair... England has one passionate sport ,..

Goodell seems to think that the UK market could support multiple games .....and even a franchise in London

It would be a total disaster .......you are wrong Roger !

The reason i love the NFL is becasue it encapsulates everything about the USA , and has great history and integrity to America.

If you are a European fan of the NFL you are passionate about one team ( eg. The Giants ) and probably have been since the early 80's .........i could never support a London team and i dont know anyone else who would either ?

Goodell is confusing the fact that 85,000 of us trot down to Wembley once each year with genuine week in week out support of one team. ( no one would turn up )

American fans generally hate the idea of a London team because of the disruption to the schedule , travelling nightmare , losing a home game etc.... and i dont blame them !

.....and the thought of ever having a Superbowl in London is plainly absurd. !

Keep it the way it is please Roger !

I agree with you.. I just don't see the NFL going international... the travel distance alone.. and time zone difference makes for major jet lag not to mention Europeans are ..... :)

thanks for your input, but i heard in England, Soccer (football) fans are nutz, they go to every game. that's money pit right there and i guess the commish is trying to dig in on that market.. Unlike the U.S, where we have football, baseball, basketball, hockey all year round. And they are command great fan fair... England has one passionate sport ,..

You're right, European soccer fans are extremely loyal. It's not just for the love of the game, but it's a day out with the boys, a chance to get away from everyday life. For some it is a way of life, seriously. Goodell, try as he may, will never, ever be able to tap that market. He's got a better chance of Jesus himself sitting down in his office with a nice Latte`, telling him the immaculate reception really was a reception. Plus, if Raider fans have a bad reputation, wait til he gets drunken hooligans turning up each week. (***DISCLAIMER: Not all soccer fans are drunken hooligans, European fans are just more famous for it and I'm just using it as an example.END DISCLAIMER***).

All Goodell needs to do is take a look at what a financial disaster bringing Beckham in to try and boost U.S. interest in soccer has been. Aside from giving us more photos of Posh Spice, it really hasn't done much to boost interest in the sport, and placing an NFL team in London wouldn't generate more interest in the NFL. I think interest would stay pat, and possibly decline with a full time team. Just take a look at the NFL Europe experiment. Although I will admit, if I still lived over there I'd still be a die hard Giants fan, but I'd cream my panties at the thought of having the NFL in town for a full season. But I doubt Goodell gives a rat's ass about displaced fans.

I agree Uk, that's a bad move overall. The crowds might show up the first few games, but it's going to dwindle. American football in England is a novelty and should remain so.

If Goodell wants to tap into a market that loves American football and could sustain it, then he needs to go to Germany, who kept the NFL Europe alive as long as it did single handedly.

Cricket and rugby are huge sports in England.

I agree Uk, that's a bad move overall. The crowds might show up the first few games, but it's going to dwindle. American football in England is a novelty and should remain so.

If Goodell wants to tap into a market that loves American football and could sustain it, then he needs to go to Germany, who kept the NFL Europe alive as long as it did single handedly.

That's exactly what I was thinking when the whole UK thing was reported this week. Germany would be a far better choice as they were the only country to consistently care about NFL Europe. Hell if they want to expand put a team in Toronto, Bills don't count :P , and Vancouver. I understand that the NFL wants to become more international but it'll never work.