SportsWrath

Mathias Kiwanuka

Bigblue25

This guy is impressive and could be an all pro, he filled in great for Osi last year and so far this year while Tuck was nursing his shoulder and still is. I was wondering though should we move him back to LB to get him more plays especially in the wake of Boleys injury we could still drop him down to DE when we move Tuck inside. Kiwanuka has improved in every facet of the game and if not behind two other all pros he would a all pro on any team

This guy is impressive and could be an all pro, he filled in great for Osi last year and so far this year while Tuck was nursing his shoulder and still is. I was wondering though should we move him back to LB to get him more plays especially in the wake of Boleys injury we could still drop him down to DE when we move Tuck inside. Kiwanuka has improved in every facet of the game and if not behind two other all pros he would a all pro on any team

What Boley's injury? I don't recall...

However Mathias seem to do well at DE but not as well at LB.

i'm sorry- i watch the games in a bar and sometimes have a few bloody marys but i don't see him doing that much. i look at his stats and its 9 tackles and 1 sack. i don't think he was that great last year either.

what am i missing?

Well, he's definitely frustrated at not being a starter, so there's some merit to that prediction. And right now, as Osi is still regaining his form, Kiwi is playing at least as well and maybe better. If he's still the 3rd DE, if anyone matches the Giant offer, I think he'll bolt.

Well, he's definitely frustrated at not being a starter, so there's some merit to that prediction. And right now, as Osi is still regaining his form, Kiwi is playing at least as well and maybe better. If he's still the 3rd DE, if anyone matches the Giant offer, I think he'll bolt.

And where is any indication of this? Has he ever once stated "I want to be the starter, I'm frustrated being a backup?" I mean has he even hinted at it once?

This guy has shown nothing but being a team player from changing positions to LB for acouple years to sitting behind Osi and Tuck knowing he is going to get playing time. Kiwi will be a Giant late into his career and want to know why? Because he's a team player and hasnt shown anything other then that.

I dont see how people are getting this "hes frustrated" stuff.

And where is any indication of this? Has he ever once stated "I want to be the starter, I'm frustrated being a backup?" I mean has he even hinted at it once?

This guy has shown nothing but being a team player from changing positions to LB for acouple years to sitting behind Osi and Tuck knowing he is going to get playing time. Kiwi will be a Giant late into his career and want to know why? Because he's a team player and hasnt shown anything other then that.

I dont see how people are getting this "hes frustrated" stuff.

i wouldnt call it frustrated, but he def has the desire to be a starter

n the opening week of training camp with the New York Giants, Kiwanuka has been trying to remind himself of his own advice.

Heading into this season, Kiwanuka is no longer a starting defensive end and the four-year veteran is not thrilled about it, even if the guys he is playing behind are Pro Bowlers Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck.

Kiwanuka doesn't deny his desire to be a starter is clearly an ego thing.

"I am a player and I want to be out there when the defense is called the first and second time, from the beginning to the end of the game," Kiwanuka said. "That is not going to change from the time you are 20 'til you are 40. You still want to be a starter."

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-giants-0808,0,7228253.story

"The only thing that bothers me is not having that tag of a starter," Kiwanuka said. "From a game standpoint, they've told me I'm going to have enough snaps, going to get plenty of opportunities. So if you look at it like that, if I do get the snaps that I want, we can get a true rotation going. The firepower of this defense is unbelievable and I think it should help us be unstoppable through the playoffs, like we weren't last year. That's the ultimate goal. If I can get a ring, if I can be on the field with this team getting a ring, then all of this will be a wash."

even prompted this comment from tuck:

"(Being a starter) is just a label. Believe me, if it becomes an issue, I'll sit down the first play of the game. There really is not that much of a difference. It gives us the leeway of having three guys we know we can trust and we can throw in there at any point. It gives another guy a rest.

http://www.giants.com/news/headlines/story.asp?story_id=39131

He's saying the right things but his unhappiness with not starting is thinly veiled. Yes, he's a solid team guy but he also has a ton of pride....not to mention that another team might be willing to pay him more to be their undisputed, counted on, #1 pass rushing DE. It's still a business, after all.

Cleveland wanted him in the Braylon deal and I think Denver also if they traded Marshall, the Giants said no way,I do think once he becomes a FA some team will blow the bank on him sort of like Gibril Wilson who we wanted to keep but other teams were offering way more boy I wish we had Wilson still today though

i wouldnt call it frustrated, but he def has the desire to be a starter

All players should want to be and he will not be around once he hits FA. We have a glut of DLineman and I am sure he would want to be a starter, like all good players should.

It would be a damn shame to lose him...good thing Reese drafted Sintim.

It's economics. The Giants can't afford to give 3 DE's top DE money. Somebody will give Kiwi that big contract at the end of the season, and he'll walk, and you can't blame him. As much as I like him, I prefer Tuck and Osi. We need to enjoy this while it lasts. The only way we keep him, and I'm not up on all the ramifications of this, but if next year is uncapped, perhaps he will stay.

I like Kiwi, though, but he should not go back to linebacker. Boley is a coverage linebacker anyway, Kiwi would only remotely be suitable to step in for Clark on the strongside. But as far as linebackers go, I'd much prefer Blackburn and Kehl stepping up at any linebacker spot than Kiwi... Kiwi is most beneficial where he's at.

On a related note, I wish Sheridan would go with Kehl as Boley's replacement at the Wil, and keep Blackburn as the 4th linebacker to spell the other three whenever needed. Kehl is more suited to run around in coverage than Blackburn, and he also has flashed big play ability when he's had the chances.