SportsWrath

NYG Passing game still in Question

Martin

Its still "just pre-season" but in several weeks you wont be able to use that line anymore.

Jerry Reese has made some very good moves up to this point as Giants GM but

even the best have there bad ones. Talent lurks somewhere in those receivers all

fighting to be starters but none emerges yet. The Giants will seem to have another

real good running attack but being one dimensional is a limited offense and one

that really favors the opposing defenses.

Without a main go to receiver (at least we can say that so far) the Giants total offense is

a major question. The Bears game is a fluke thing and some say the offense

lags behind the defense but as a fan you get a very uncomfortable feeling that all is disconnected

so far and with the opener moving all too close the Giants receivers and QB connection need to

come alive and quick.

Again its "just pre-season" and there is receiver talent waiting to emerge but the question is

time is not on their side. Jerry Reese took a major risk hoping to have an effective receiving core that

lacks a major #1 receiver. Jerry's track record is real good and so giants fans keep waiting.

I look for a renewed Giants team against the Jets lets see if the passing game comes alive.

Pre season game 4 is always weak and starters dont play much so this Jets game is a big game

for the receivers. I would think Eli plays a full half to 3 qtrs.

Chime in anytime!

Yes, it's preseason... but the WRs have been SO unimpressive that I'd by lying if I said I wasn't starting to get concerned.

This may be one of those situations where we don't really see the recieving corps start to gel until midseason.

I hope I'm wrong, but nobody has "wowed" me, and we're one big injury on the O-line away from being an average team.

Yes, it's preseason... but the WRs have been SO unimpressive that I'd by lying if I said I wasn't starting to get concerned.

This may be one of those situations where we don't really see the recieving corps start to gel until midseason.

I hope I'm wrong, but nobody has "wowed" me, and we're one big injury on the O-line away from being an average team.

and injuries seem to be adding up! I have not been impressed with the pass protection

for Eli as well.

Is it the poor play of the wide receivers, or the ineffectiveness of our backup olines and 3rd/4th string QBs that are causing the problems?

i havent seen great pass protection from the 1st through 3rd oline's.

protection has not been good.

Is it the poor play of the wide receivers, or the ineffectiveness of our backup olines and 3rd/4th string QBs that are causing the problems?

I think it's both. Yes our OL is missing half of the starters... however, at least a glimpse would've been nice to see.

I was talking about Marshall with my buddy last night. He is a head case though. I would still trade for him though. Not sure if this team need more baggage.

He had a severe shoulder injury that Denver's docs told him he could play on. After the season, other docs told him no way he should have played. so he feels betrayed (which he probably was). i know there's some other stuff but his anti-bronco stance has validity.

there's a process in the US called negotiation. it starts by asking for much more than you actually will settle for.

I thought in the US it was usually "Fuck em, just invade" instead of negotiation? :P

The Broncos really have nothing to loose by sitting Marshall other then him bitching to the media, their already setting up for a shitty season so alittle media distraction is nothing. He's a pro-bowl WR and there are alot of teams much more desperate at WR then the Giants who are willing to give up more. We will more then likely be picking in the bottom part of the draft again and our 1st wont be worth much to Denver. Unless we are willing to ship players and draft picks I doubt Denver would even consider an offer from us.

Eli himself hasn't looked sharp either. He had Manningham (who, despite what this thread is implying, looked impressive in route running and returns) wide open on the first drive and threw it up, basically for grabs, allowing the defender to make a play.

But I agree. We have ZERO offensive line depth. Snee and Seubert weren't in for the first string and you could see an incredible drop off in talent. I think when we get everyone healthy on that line, and allow Eli to have some time to throw, the receivers will be fine.

Now, saying that...why in the hell are Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden not getting at least a few reps with the first string? Be it a 4 or 5 receiver set, a whole series in the second quarter(then coming in later in the 4th), or something.

Its still "just pre-season" but in several weeks you wont be able to use that line anymore.

Jerry Reese has made some very good moves up to this point as Giants GM but

even the best have there bad ones. Talent lurks somewhere in those receivers all

fighting to be starters but none emerges yet. The Giants will seem to have another

real good running attack but being one dimensional is a limited offense and one

that really favors the opposing defenses.

Without a main go to receiver (at least we can say that so far) the Giants total offense is

a major question. The Bears game is a fluke thing and some say the offense

lags behind the defense but as a fan you get a very uncomfortable feeling that all is disconnected

so far and with the opener moving all too close the Giants receivers and QB connection need to

come alive and quick.

Again its "just pre-season" and there is receiver talent waiting to emerge but the question is

time is not on their side. Jerry Reese took a major risk hoping to have an effective receiving core that

lacks a major #1 receiver. Jerry's track record is real good and so giants fans keep waiting.

I look for a renewed Giants team against the Jets lets see if the passing game comes alive.

Pre season game 4 is always weak and starters dont play much so this Jets game is a big game

for the receivers. I would think Eli plays a full half to 3 qtrs.

Chime in anytime!

I share your concern regarding our receiving corps. Since these games are meaningless, I'd prefer to see less of Jacobs and Bradshaw, and more of the passing game. Our RB's are veterans; our receivers are green and need as much game time experience as they could possibly get.

That guy from Denver, Marshall has Giants written all over his forehead. That's our ticket to Miami

the broncos are most likely going to ask a bundle for him. and he had hip surgery b/c the doctor's botched the diagnosis, and he had it late. he hasn't been 100% so far this year, and the doctor's claim that his surgery typically requires 6 full months of recovery time to be 100%. he is at 4 months right now. the dog thinks it is doubtful he would be traded at this point (not sure the broncos can afford to trade another big time player this year without extreme backlash), and even if he does, he is a question mark. if healthy, he would be an incredible addition to any team at this point...but it is a question mark.

the broncos are most likely going to ask a bundle for him. and he had hip surgery b/c the doctor's botched the diagnosis, and he had it late. he hasn't been 100% so far this year, and the doctor's claim that his surgery typically requires 6 full months of recovery time to be 100%. he is at 4 months right now. the dog thinks it is doubtful he would be traded at this point (not sure the broncos can afford to trade another big time player this year without extreme backlash), and even if he does, he is a question mark. if healthy, he would be an incredible addition to any team at this point...but it is a question mark.

I have a good friend that went to high school with him, and knew him from classes with him at University of Central Florida in Orlando (my old stomping grounds). She says he's always been a major asshole, full of himself, and wouldn't be surprised if he still is. He went to this high school that is in the Orlando area, and I have another friend who has known people that have gone to high school with him that have also said he's a major prick.

Take it for what it's worth. You don't need to be Mother Teresa to play professional football, but I'm connected the dots on this one.

I'm not in panic mode on our receivers. THEY have not played poorly. They just have not been the beneficiary of good QB play outside of Manning and at times, Carr. When given more opportunity, they'll be fine.

BTW, where was it said that the Broncos would consider benching Marshall the year? Anyone have a link? I have him on a fantasy team.

But I agree. We have ZERO offensive line depth. Snee and Seubert weren't in for the first string and you could see an incredible drop off in talent. I think when we get everyone healthy on that line, and allow Eli to have some time to throw, the receivers will be fine.

Losing BOTH starting guards for a single game would be a tough situation for any team, though. And it really hurts when you get to the back-end of a preseason game. I'm not saying we have the best backups in the league by a long shot, but I have to give them a bye for this last game.

I agree that our backup wide receivers need time with the first team in this next game. Just to see if they fit on the roster.

I have a good friend that went to high school with him, and knew him from classes with him at University of Central Florida in Orlando (my old stomping grounds). She says he's always been a major asshole, full of himself, and wouldn't be surprised if he still is. He went to this high school that is in the Orlando area, and I have another friend who has known people that have gone to high school with him that have also said he's a major prick.

Take it for what it's worth. You don't need to be Mother Teresa to play professional football, but I'm connected the dots on this one.

I'm not in panic mode on our receivers. THEY have not played poorly. They just have not been the beneficiary of good QB play outside of Manning and at times, Carr. When given more opportunity, they'll be fine.

BTW, where was it said that the Broncos would consider benching Marshall the year? Anyone have a link? I have him on a fantasy team.

think it has more to do with how he chooses to play it...if he continues to demand trades, the broncos have held pretty firm to date that they would not grant it...which means a potential owens-eagles scenario all over again...the dog is assuming the broncos might hold firm to not trade, he may hold firm that he doesn't want to play for them, and so he will essentially be out of the mix...if he were smart, he would suck it up and play, as the dog thinks this is a contract year for him, but he would have to be smart, and well, you know...

think it has more to do with how he chooses to play it...if he continues to demand trades, the broncos have held pretty firm to date that they would not grant it...which means a potential owens-eagles scenario all over again...the dog is assuming the broncos might hold firm to not trade, he may hold firm that he doesn't want to play for them, and so he will essentially be out of the mix...if he were smart, he would suck it up and play, as the dog thinks this is a contract year for him, but he would have to be smart, and well, you know...

I saw on ESPN a week or two ago that they said they would try to honor his request to be traded. However, I don't expect a team to pony up as much as they will ask for. Especially Reese who loves his draft picks.

You're right, though.... a smart player would shut his mouth and go out and try and dominate. If you play well, eventually you will get paid.

I saw on ESPN a week or two ago that they said they would try to honor his request to be traded. However, I don't expect a team to pony up as much as they will ask for. Especially Reese who loves his draft picks.

You're right, though.... a smart player would shut his mouth and go out and try and dominate. If you play well, eventually you will get paid.

the dog missed the ESPN report...no doubt if they trade him, they will be asking for a ton...otherwise they probably would be content to let him sit for the year in no-man's land, and cut their losses next season when he signs with someone else...

That guy from Denver, Marshall has Giants written all over his forehead. That's our ticket to Miami

Jeez I sure as hell hope not. If you thought Plax and Shockey were headaches... wait till you get a load of that clown.