SportsWrath

GIANTS HAVE 'NO INTEREST' IN VICK

ppodlesny

By DAN MARTIN

If Michael Vick manages to get reinstated into the NFL, don't expect to see him playing for either local team.

Both John Mara and Woody Johnson shot down any possibility the former Falcons quarterback, whose 23-month sentence for his role in a dogfighting ring ended yesterday, would suit up for either team.

WILLIS: VICK'S SENTENCE COMPLETE, NFL SHOULD LET HIM PLAY

VICK AN ALL PROBATION

GIANTS COULD LEAVE ALBANY

"No," Giants owner Mara said with a laugh. "On a lot of levels, no."

Johnson was also adamant about Vick not becoming a Jet. "There's no interest," said Johnson.

The Jets have had plenty of issues at quarterback in recent years and drafted USC's Mark Sanchez with the fifth pick in this year's draft. He will battle with Kellen Clemens for the starting spot.

"We've got Kellen Clemens and now we have young Mark Sanchez, so I think we're good on quarterbacks," said Johnson, adding that even if they weren't set, he likely still wouldn't be interested. "I don't think we'd go in that direction."

The owners were outside their new stadium for the first ride on the train that will run to the Meadowlands for games starting this season.

And while it's clear Damien Woody and Jerricho Cotchery won't play with Vick, both Jets said he should be allowed to suit up somewhere.

"I feel like he's done his time and there's a time to let them move forward with their life," said Woody, who also understood why a team would decline to bring him in. "There's a lot to go in to bringing [him] aboard, especially in tough economic times. You've got sponsors and you always have to take those things into consideration."

"I hope he takes advantage of it if he's able to get a second chance," Cotchery said. "It's gonna take awhile to rebuild his image . . . but he's a talented player. Someone will give him a shot."

When Mara was asked if he shakes his head when thinking about Plaxico Burress, whose Giants career ended after he shot himself in the leg and was arrested last year, the owner said: "I don't know if shaking my head is the right way to describe it.

"It was frustrating," Mara said. "[His absence] was certainly a big factor [last year], but on the other hand, the year before, we don't win the Super Bowl without him."

And while Mara recently said the Giants would reduce some ticket prices for the new stadium, Johnson said the Jets had no such plans: "We've handled our tickets differently than they have. . . . Hopefully we have something in there that everyone's going to be satisfied with."

dan.martin@nypost.com

why in the hell would we ever have interest in Michael Vick? We're a run first, conservative passing game team. What a stupid, stupid question to bother John Mara with. We have a Super Bowl MVP and quite possibly the best backup in football right now in David Carr. Then pair that with two highly talented later round draft picks in Woodson and Bomar. Where would Vick play for us? Unless he could suit up as a WR I'd say the Giants are the least likely in the NFL to sign Michael Vick.

I'd pay him vet minimum to try him out on returns, but not at QB.

Yup, he's always been a mediocre at best quarterback, I'd be down to watch him get pummeled on returns.

Besides, I think Michael Vick should be permanently banned from playing in the NFL. You can bet that if I was sent to prison on federal dogfighting charges I would never be able to land any kind of high paying job...why should it be any different for that fuck up? He should still be in jail, in fact.

why in the hell would we ever have interest in Michael Vick? We're a run first, conservative passing game team. What a stupid, stupid question to bother John Mara with. We have a Super Bowl MVP and quite possibly the best backup in football right now in David Carr. Then pair that with two highly talented later round draft picks in Woodson and Bomar. Where would Vick play for us? Unless he could suit up as a WR I'd say the Giants are the least likely in the NFL to sign Michael Vick.

now all we need to do is tell that to Kevin Kildrive

I'd pay him vet minimum to try him out on returns, but not at QB.

Why not at QB?. Why would you bring a guy with little experience and who's closer to 30 back to return the ball. In fact, with Hixon and Bradshaw back there returning kicks we are pretty set. He could battle for the backup QB spot.

Why not at QB?. Why would you bring a guy with little experience and who's closer to 30 back to return the ball. In fact, with Hixon and Bradshaw back there returning kicks we are pretty set. He could battle for the backup QB spot.

Why at QB? He doesn't fit with this team. Can you imagine all the weapons we have and Mike Vick just takes off? I would be constantly pissed off if we had a scrambling QB who gives up on the play way too early and tries to do way too much himself. David Carr > Mike Vick, and we certainly don't need 2 starting QB caliber backups.

Because he throws like my Grandmother but runs like he stole something. The guy's got great instincts and vision as a runner and we wouldn't be risking one of our skill position players on returns.

Actually where he'd fit perfectly would be Miami.

Why at QB? He doesn't fit with this team. Can you imagine all the weapons we have and Mike Vick just takes off? I would be constantly pissed off if we had a scrambling QB who gives up on the play way too early and tries to do way too much himself. David Carr > Mike Vick, and we certainly don't need 2 starting QB caliber backups.

You don't need 2 starting caliber QB's?. Seriously, haven't you been watching the NFL these last few years, that you wouldn't want a backup capable of coming in and playing at a high level. Ask Dallas what they think about that last season?

Vick won't be allowed to just "take off". If you think that Vick comes back and starts acting the asshole again that he's going to get away with that, think again. But if Eli got hurt and Vick was to come in to replace him, then the other teams defence is now going to honor his scrambling ability. You don't get that with Eli and Carr.

Because he throws like my Grandmother but runs like he stole something. The guy's got great instincts and vision as a runner and we wouldn't be risking one of our skill position players on returns.

Actually where he'd fit perfectly would be Miami.

Raiders is more likely, but yeah, you never know with Parcells.

You don't need 2 starting caliber QB's?. Seriously, haven't you been watching the NFL these last few years, that you wouldn't want a backup capable of coming in and playing at a high level. Ask Dallas what they think about that last season?

Vick won't be allowed to just "take off". If you think that Vick comes back and starts acting the asshole again that he's going to get away with that, think again. But if Eli got hurt and Vick was to come in to replace him, then the other teams defence is now going to honor his scrambling ability. You don't get that with Eli and Carr.

TWO STARTING CALIBER BACKUPS. That's a waste of cap room. Obv.

Yah, with Carr, you get a quarterback who can actually throw the ball.

Giants have ZERO interest. So that ends this debate. I will say though, that he has done his time and if a organization is willing to contract his services for their football team, he should be allowed to play. It doesn't matter if you or me went to prison on federal dogfighting charges that we wouldn't be able to get a high paying job. If you or I could play football like Vick, we would be able to get a high paying job in the NFL, because these guys aren't executives, they are athletes. I'm not defending what he did, it was despicable, but if a guy does his time and he can get a job, nothing should stand in his way of getting that job.

Giants have ZERO interest. So that ends this debate. I will say though, that he has done his time and if a organization is willing to contract his services for their football team, he should be allowed to play. It doesn't matter if you or me went to prison on federal dogfighting charges that we wouldn't be able to get a high paying job. If you or I could play football like Vick, we would be able to get a high paying job in the NFL, because these guys aren't executives, they are athletes. I'm not defending what he did, it was despicable, but if a guy does his time and he can get a job, nothing should stand in his way of getting that job.

So what you're saying is that Vick is better than everyone else because he's an athlete. Nice logic.

"Doing time" extends passed the time you did in jail. He obviously has character flaws and really doesn't deserve another shot in the NFL. Not to mention, he got off easy on his sentence. Not to mention, he's been rotting away for the last couple years, he's really no longer an NFL caliber athlete.

Some team, in a move to sell tickets (like the Bills and TO), will pick him up, but it's almost guaranteed he will never start in the NFL again. He should have never been starting in the NFL in the first place.

In essence, every employer reserves the right to terminate the employment of any of it's employees for violating codes of conduct, being arrested, etc. Just because he served his time, shouldn't mean he's off the hook so he's free to make more millions of dollars. He did something illegal, his life should suck. Vick should be permanently banned from the NFL, he's a despicable human being who let wealth and fame get to his head....yet it still wasn't enough...he had to run highly profitable dogfights to keep it real with his homies, or what the fuck ever. He's nothing but a thug.

He should still be in prison. Or at the very least, he should be backing up JP Losman in that new football league.

Some dude on Steve Smith's facebook says it better than I can:

"BTW, he paid his debt to society not the NFL. Playing a game for ridiculous amounts of money is a privilege not a right.

Heck, if Mike worked at Home Depot, went away for 2 years, and then came back you think he'd be wearing orange again?? We're too self entitled in the country."

So what you're saying is that Vick is better than everyone else because he's an athlete. Nice logic.

"Doing time" extends passed the time you did in jail. He obviously has character flaws and really doesn't deserve another shot in the NFL. Not to mention, he got off easy on his sentence. Not to mention, he's been rotting away for the last couple years, he's really no longer an NFL caliber athlete.

Some team, in a move to sell tickets (like the Bills and TO), will pick him up, but it's almost guaranteed he will never start in the NFL again. He should have never been starting in the NFL in the first place.

1. No, I am not saying he is better than everyone else because he's an athlete. However, it's a fact that athletes are not held to the same civic standards as people in other professions, similar to movie stars, etc. Fact is that Vick will put asses in seats and he has taken teams to playoff berths. If an owner decides he is willing to pay him to be their quarterback, as a free man who has done his time then it's a decision made between him and the owner.

2. His character flaws are not the issue. What he brings to the football field is. It is not your call or mine to decide whether or not he deserves another shot. It is up to the 32 owners and the commissioner. Your opinion of his sentence or his physical condition doesn't matter either, because presumably you are not an NFL owner and would not be paying his salary.

3. It is not guaranteed at all that he will never start again. He's been away from the game for 2 years. Plus he's only 29 years old, and accounted for over 3500 yards with his arm and legs in his last season, plus has won two playoff games. I prefer a passer as well, but don't think for a minute that he has forgotten how to run or that he can't still win in the NFL because he's been in lockup for two years. BTW, they have gyms in prison.

1. No, I am not saying he is better than everyone else because he's an athlete. However, it's a fact that athletes are not held to the same civic standards as people in other professions, similar to movie stars, etc. Fact is that Vick will put asses in seats and he has taken teams to playoff berths. If an owner decides he is willing to pay him to be their quarterback, as a free man who has done his time then it's a decision made between him and the owner.

2. His character flaws are not the issue. What he brings to the football field is. It is not your call or mine to decide whether or not he deserves another shot. It is up to the 32 owners and the commissioner. Your opinion of his sentence or his physical condition doesn't matter either, because presumably you are not an NFL owner and would not be paying his salary.

3. It is not guaranteed at all that he will never start again. He's been away from the game for 2 years. Plus he's only 29 years old, and accounted for over 3500 yards with his arm and legs in his last season, plus has won two playoff games. I prefer a passer as well, but don't think for a minute that he has forgotten how to run or that he can't still win in the NFL because he's been in lockup for two years. BTW, they have gyms in prison.

1. No, it's a decision between NFL execs. I don't really think the owners have much say. They simply sign players and run 1 team. The NFL itself reserves to right to decide which players can play in their league, not the owners.

2. No one sits in jail for 2 years in comes out in shape to play football. Gym or not, they don't allow him to play football in prison.

3. 29 is getting old for a quarterback who's speed is the only aspect of his game.

Again, playing football for millions of dollars is a privilege, not a right. He fucked up and shouldn't have the privilege to play football anymore. It makes the NFL look bad. This man led hundreds of dogs to their brutal deaths.

1. No, it's a decision between NFL execs. I don't really think the owners have much say. They simply sign players and run 1 team. The NFL itself reserves to right to decide which players can play in their league, not the owners.

2. No one sits in jail for 2 years in comes out in shape to play football. Gym or not, they don't allow him to play football in prison.

3. 29 is getting old for a quarterback who's speed is the only aspect of his game.

Again, playing football for millions of dollars is a privilege, not a right. He fucked up and shouldn't have the privilege to play football anymore. It makes the NFL look bad. This man led hundreds of dogs to their brutal deaths.

The fact that Vick financed the dog fighting put a stain on the nfl.

The fact that Stallworth is going to be playing this year after killing someone makes the NFL look bad.

The fact that Stallworth is going to be playing this year after killing someone makes the NFL look bad.

Stallworth should be in jail for life.

We know the Giants have no interest. No one is debating that. We're talking about what we might do with him.

Is Stallworth playing this year?

I thought he had an indefinite suspension

Is Stallworth playing this year?

I thought he had an indefinite suspension

Yah, looking it up says indefinite suspension, but I dunno I figured they had said something else recently or something...

Again, that's not for you to decide. I suppose that if you ever go to jail for something and someone wanted to hire you upon you finishing your time, it would be ok with you if other people that had no stake in the matter decided if you could actually get the job, right?

Ray Lewis, Pacman Jones, and hundreds of others have been connected to crimes against human beings and have been given second chances. And the NFL has not only survived, but thrived. We are a forgiving society that believes in second chances. Although he did something terrible, he should not be denied a chance to earn a living so long as the commissioner and the owners who are interested in hiring him want him in the league. Bottom line, it is the commissioner's call to make, and he has already been reinstated.

But say the commissioner banned him for life as you suggested. I guarantee you that the NFLPA would litigate and the NFL would lose in arbitration. So long as a man can work, he is a free man, as Vick is, and someone is willing to pay him, as NFL owners are, the opportunity should not be denied of him to earn a living.

Playing in the NFL is just as much of a privilege as anyone working for any other company is a privilege so long as you are willing and able to do the job.

To put it another way, if he was not able to go back to work with an employer who was willing to hire him, you would have to question whether or not we live in a supposed free society. The man has completed his sentence imposed on him for committing his crimes. He should be able to go on and be able to work anywhere he can find it.

Answer to #1: Goodell has already placed the matter on the owners at this point by reinstating him. The ball is in the court of the 32 owners now on whether or not he plays football again this year.

Answer to #2: That is what training camp and preseason is for. He has time to get in shape, and he is probably suspended for the first 4 games anyway... by week 5 he should be ready to go full speed.

Answer to #3: It's not that old. Other running QBs have played into their mid-30's and beyond, and Vick has been a far superior runner to any of them in history, although they have been better passers. With the onset of the popularity of the Wildcat offense, he will certainly fit at least as a part time QB on some team. By the way, he is not JUST a runner. He is a passer that has thrown for 2500 yards his last season and nearly 3000 yards in 2002. Also 20 passing TD's against 13 interceptions. He may not be a GREAT passer, but to suggest that speed is the only aspect of his game is false.