SportsWrath

Newsday Article: brings up a popular subject

Mr. P

Almost all positive signs at Giants minicamp

Bob Glauber

7:23 PM EDT, June 18, 2009

Sure, it's only June. And yes, they were only running around in helmets and shorts. But there was still plenty to glean from this week's Giants' minicamp, almost all of it good. A few nuggets:

Rookie receivers Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden looked terrific. Again, we'll know a lot more when they put on the pads in training camp and go against "live" competition in the preseason. But the thing you want to see from rookies in this setting is precise route-running and consistent catching. They were excellent at both. In time, this receiver group will be excellent.

Brandon Jacobs still runs like a tank, and looks just as hungry now as he did before signing a $25-million contract in February.

There have been whispers that third-year tailback Ahmad Bradshaw hasn't been putting in the necessary work during the offseason. Could have fooled me. The kid looked faster than he did as a rookie, and his cutting ability and nose for finding a crease in the blocking is uncanny. I'll predict it right now: breakout season for Bradshaw.

Antonio Pierce looked pudgy toward the end of last season. Looks like he's at his fighting weight now. Won't say how much weight he's lost, but it looks like about 15 pounds. Easier to keep up with Jason Witten without the paunch.

Generally good stuff from Eli Manning, although he did throw into coverage a handful of times. Not a big deal. Not at this time of year, anyway. Still no word on Manning signing a contract extension, but there doesn't seem to be any concern on the organization's part about a deal getting done before the opener.

Biggest problem of all: hamstring injuries. There has been a rash of them in the offseason, with Sinorice Moss' tweak on Tuesday the latest. I asked Moss if he's been doing anything different about his conditioning during the offseason, and he said nothing has changed. He's understandably ticked, since he looked so strong in the first practice. Good news is he'll be ready to go in training camp.

Tom Coughlin on the team's newly named "Timex Performance Center" indoor facility: "It's Christmas every day." The full-field complex could be the best facility of its kind in the league. Sure beats the old 60-yard practice bubble.

There is not a better defensive line in the NFL than the Giants' right now - Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, Rocky Bernard, Chris Canty, Fred Robbins and Barry Cofield. Once Robbins and Cofield recover from knee injuries, depth is as good as it's been here in a long time. Maybe ever.

Osi is downplaying his comeback from a knee injury, but I'm told he's possessed in his training in hopes of having a monster year.

Giants love what they see in OLB Michael Boley, who can be a Kawika Mitchell- type player. Maybe better.

Are Aaron Ross and Corey Webster the best bookend corners in the NFL? Maybe. Both are dinged up a bit, but should be fine for camp.

Player who will quietly have a solid year: nickel back Kevin Dockery.

Punter Jeff Feagles is 43 years old and coming off his third-best statistical season ever. That's sick.

Zero minicamp work for injured rookies T William Beatty, LB Clint Sintim and TE Travis Beckham. Tough league, fellas. No time for muscle pulls. Easy way to get in the coach's doghouse.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/gia...,2255919.column

Ever consider that he was playing OVER his listed weight?

As the Germans would say "Machts Nichts"- matters not........he's absolutely abysmal, and dragging down the whole D

Philly made him look like a complete duffus last year.......they worked him and toyed with him to beat the band

When I look at the Eagles Bradley in the middle I can't suppress my admiration for them, and how they quickly move out aging veterans. The Giants keep dead wood around far too often

What they cannot do is win th big one.......they are incredibly snakebit. They have their own "Pierce" in McNabb a QB who survives on Rep alone.....and so it goes

you cannot win in this league with such an unathletic MLBer.....not unless our D line once again terrorizes the league as it did the SB year

We captured magic in a bottle 2years ago.......what I'd like now is to see us develop a steamroller which needs no luck factor to dominate. To do that you absolutely need a competent punishing MLBer A Harry Carson if you will

I never understood that crap about being in a coaches doghouse if you are legitimately injured and are not known for dogging it. Jesus a hamstring pull can last for years if not forever. I first pulled my hamstring back in 1981 and its still tight. This whole playing while severely injured crap needs to stop and they need to up the rosters by another 3-5 people to compensate. Will it happen...no.

As the Germans would say "Machts Nichts"- matters not........he's absolutely abysmal, and dragging down the whole D

Philly made him look like a complete duffus last year.......they worked him and toyed with him to beat the band

When I look at the Eagles Bradley in the middle I can't suppress my admiration for them, and how they quickly move out aging veterans. The Giants keep dead wood around far too often

What they cannot do is win th big one.......they are incredibly snakebit. They have their own "Pierce" in McNabb a QB who survives on Rep alone.....and so it goes

you cannot win in this league with such an unathletic MLBer.....not unless our D line once again terrorizes the league as it did the SB year

We captured magic in a bottle 2years ago.......what I'd like now is to see us develop a steamroller which needs no luck factor to dominate. To do that you absolutely need a competent punishing MLBer A Harry Carson if you will

while we differ heavily on our opinion of pierce i would like us to use our 1st round pick next year on a MLB

Thank god he won't have to keep up with Jason Witten or any TE next year,Sheridan believes in putting a extra safety in the box and rushing the LBers,Kenny Phillips will be the one covering Jason Witten at least I hope. Covering the TE or RB was never Pierces speciality and everyone was shocked last year when he couldn't do it,he never should of been doing it in the first place.

while we differ heavily on our opinion of pierce i would like us to use our 1st round pick next year on a MLB

I agree I still love Pierce and I am not sure why so much hatred on this board,but we do need to groom a MLB next year I am hoping for Ronaldo McClain out of Alabama,Brandon Spikes would be nice but we would have to have a top ten pick and I don't see that happening,most likely we have the 32nd pick.

so hes dropped 15 pounds

according to the book that then makes him a 223 lb slow MLBer

GREAT

Jakk ......i suppose you would have chosen Chase to start the Superbowl ( instead of AP )........and his contribution , if i remember , was to not get his fat arse off the field in time ......drawing a penalty that could have cost us the bloody game !

You are wrong about Pierce Jakk ...... one of the reasons we made the playoffs for the last 5 years is his excellence and dedication at MLB

( PS ....you also had irrational hatred for Strahan all the way through 2008 if i remember ! )

Jakk ......i suppose you would have chosen Chase to start the Superbowl ( instead of AP )........and his contribution , if i remember , was to not get his fat arse off the field in time ......drawing a penalty that could have cost us the bloody game !

You are wrong about Pierce Jakk ...... one of the reasons we made the playoffs for the last 5 years is his excellence and dedication at MLB

( PS ....you also had irrational hatred for Strahan all the way through 2008 if i remember ! )

Good grief!!

Yeah Pierce is fabulous........if we had 11 Pierce's out there we would go undefeated and un-scored upon.... LOL

Remember the children's fable- the king has no clothes?

He's not a bad MLBer.......he's actually horrible

I suppose you think he has trade value.....what do you think the Skins would give us if we returned him?

As for the sidleines incident, that was vintage Bellicheck and the football God's rewarded him with the miraculous reception for his attempt at deception

Jakk ....do you really think that AP has been a total failure for us over the last 5 years ?

Y or N

no he was an adequate guy for a few years but come on......this guy is not mr highlight reel

he never was, and the coach on the field stuff is way over-rated...I've actually seen him distract the other players with all the jabbering and hand gesturing

now hes old slow and the most replaceable Giant

Thank god he won't have to keep up with Jason Witten or any TE next year,Sheridan believes in putting a extra safety in the box and rushing the LBers,Kenny Phillips will be the one covering Jason Witten at least I hope. Covering the TE or RB was never Pierces speciality and everyone was shocked last year when he couldn't do it,he never should of been doing it in the first place.

He had ONE play against Brian Westbrook where he was owned... but name one LB in the league that Westbrook DOESN'T run away from.

Ross is gonna blow up this year. You have to give a corner time. You all would have tossed Webster out years ago, and would now be crying.

Bingo. Webby took forever to develop, and Ross to this point has looked WAY better than Webster looked at this point in their respective careers.

Plus, I think the sophomore slump is real.

so hes dropped 15 pounds

according to the book that then makes him a 223 lb slow MLBer

GREAT

haha, right? I know it's easy for RBs and tight ends to drop weight and be faster but that requires that they were actually fast in the first place...

You can't take a guy that runs a 40 in probably 4.8-5.0, cut 15 lbs off him and assume he now can now keep up with the 4.5-4.7 Witten's...or gasp, the even faster Brian Westbrooks.

I know Jack touts Blackburn, but can't you just assume everyone else hating on Pierce has seen other team's middle linebackers play and, you know, realize that ours is in the bottom half of the league? In fact, our entire linebacker corps last year was in the bottom half of the league.

Pierce is merely serviceable and he lacks any real kind of playmaking ability. He simply knows the defense's plays and how to line up players....what EVERY MLB should know.

He is the Mike Barrow of the 2000s NYG.

Thanks for posting Pdoub but this article is a bit too rosy for my liking.

A. Peirce is over the hill... I don't give a fuck if he's lost 15 lbs. As a professional you're not supposed to let youreself go.

B. Moss... another hamstring injury.. hmm.. ok anyone in pro-sports every heard of fucking yoga? These guys do this for a living.. one or two yoga classes a a week will do wonders for injuries.. guaranteed.

C. I like Eli but this whole bullshit about him getting paid "highest in the league" is BS. He's a mediocre QB behind a superb OL and a superb D.

Thanks for posting Pdoub but this article is a bit too rosy for my liking.

A. Peirce is over the hill... I don't give a fuck if he's lost 15 lbs. As a professional you're not supposed to let youreself go.

B. Moss... another hamstring injury.. hmm.. ok anyone in pro-sports every heard of fucking yoga? These guys do this for a living.. one or tow yoga classes a a week will do wonders for injuries.. guaranteed.

C. I like Eli but this whole bullshit about him getting paid "highest in the league" is BS. He's a mediocre QB behind a superb OL and a superb D.

He is so far over the hill he can't see it behind him

as for Moss I like the little guy and see him as a Dave Meggett possibility......I'd like to see them put Moss in the backfield more for screen passes, and reverses

As for Eli your right he's an average QB but has a good head on his shoulders, and makes good decisions

we can win another trophy with Eli, however he's not worth 20 mil per