SportsWrath

Just reviewing the last couple of drafts...

Allstarjim

Kenny Phillips S

Terrell Thomas DB

Mario Manningham WR

Bryan Kehl LB

Jonathan Goff LB

Andre Woodson QB

Robert Henderson DL

Aaron Ross DB

Steve Smith WR

Jay Alford DT

Zak DeOssie LB

Kevin Boss

Adam Koets

Michael Johnson

Ahmad Bradshaw

When you look at all the contributors from the guys drafted the last couple of years, you have to be stoked about the guys brought in with this draft class. With the success we've had in drafting, this team is going to continue to contend for the forseeable future. Makes me feel kind of silly for ever questioning Reese on his picks... like I did with the Bomar pick. Even though most of us are still puzzled as to why we can't get a young stud kicker ever!

It just seems to be their philosophy to never get a rookie kicker.

Kenny Phillips S

Terrell Thomas DB

Mario Manningham WR

Bryan Kehl LB

Jonathan Goff LB

Andre Woodson QB

Robert Henderson DL

Aaron Ross DB

Steve Smith WR

Jay Alford DT

Zak DeOssie LB

Kevin Boss

Adam Koets

Michael Johnson

Ahmad Bradshaw

When you look at all the contributors from the guys drafted the last couple of years, you have to be stoked about the guys brought in with this draft class. With the success we've had in drafting, this team is going to continue to contend for the forseeable future. Makes me feel kind of silly for ever questioning Reese on his picks... like I did with the Bomar pick. Even though most of us are still puzzled as to why we can't get a young stud kicker ever!

It just seems to be their philosophy to never get a rookie kicker.

With how low risk drafting a kicker is, definitely... And the fact that you never have to say "well, they can play at the college level, but can they play at the NFL level?" Kicking is kicking. Just find us a guy with a strong leg, and accuracy to go with it. Following our off-season, and draft, I don't think it'd be a stretch to feel that Kicker is our weakest position.

I had hoped to hear they were going to bring in Graham Gano out of Florida as a free agent. The Ravens signed him to compete for a spot this year...

I remember watching him in their bowl game this year nail 3 or 4 punts within the 2 yard line AND nail kick-offs to the back of the endzone. He also hit 10 FG over 40 yards last season. He did miss two over 50, but the college kicking game is harder then the pros.

With how low risk drafting a kicker is, definitely... And the fact that you never have to say "well, they can play at the college level, but can they play at the NFL level?" Kicking is kicking. Just find us a guy with a strong leg, and accuracy to go with it. Following our off-season, and draft, I don't think it'd be a stretch to feel that Kicker is our weakest position.

not being able to kick from a tee can change everything.

I had hoped to hear they were going to bring in Graham Gano out of Florida as a free agent. The Ravens signed him to compete for a spot this year...

I remember watching him in their bowl game this year nail 3 or 4 punts within the 2 yard line AND nail kick-offs to the back of the endzone. He also hit 10 FG over 40 yards last season. He did miss two over 50, but the college kicking game is harder then the pros.

Gorilla, he's from Florida State, not Florida. Confusing the two is an unforgivable transgression down here! :P I did see the Ravens picked him up. He'll win that job. I was at that game that you are talking about. It was 3 punts in a row inside the 2. It was awesome. He stunned the whole stadium with his performance. He did miss 2 over 50, but overall he was 5 for 7 from 50 plus, and perfect under 50 (24 for 26 overall). Dude is a stud kicker. I've seen him kick those 50 yarders with a lot to spare, too. He has an absolute boot and one of those punts you were talking about in the Wisconsin game landed at the one and just spun in place, unlike anything I've ever seen. It was like Tiger dropping an 8 iron from 160 a foot from the cup and just stopping it. Found it on Youtube, it's the 2nd punt shown, and keep in mind the first three punts they show were consecutive, making it just an unreal feat of kicking.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

I don't like the Bomar pick at all. Reese has done good so far, but that pick looks like a miss.

Well with Carr more then likely leaving at the end of the year, I think they just wanted competition between Woodson and Bomar.

I don't like the Bomar pick at all. Reese has done good so far, but that pick looks like a miss.

Bomar was a stud QB at Oklahoma before he got into legal trouble and had to change schools. If you aren't aware, Bomar played very well for Oklahoma until he was kicked off the team for taking money from a shady car dealership, where he never actually clocked in (because he never really worked there) causing all kinds of headaches for Oklahoma from the NCAA. Had he been able to stay at Oklahoma, he might very well have been the top QB in the draft. He has an incredibly strong arm and he has very good football smarts. I believe he'll be a big improvement over Woodsen who also has a strong arm, but is more erratic and I don't think he has that instinctive football smarts to lead the team. I could be wrong of course, but that's what I've read.

I agree with Reese that Bomar still sitting there on the board was just too much value to pass up. Bomar should've gone much sooner and I have no doubt a whole lot of general managers in their war rooms went "shit", when the Giants grabbed him.

Lets see what happens when we have to cut down the roster in September. Last season we went with two QBs and had Woodsen on the practice squad. Now do we put Bomar on the practice squad as well or tie up another precious roster spot on a QB who won't start?

Bomar was a stud QB at Oklahoma before he got into legal trouble and had to change schools. If you aren't aware, Bomar played very well for Oklahoma until he was kicked off the team for taking money from a shady car dealership, where he never actually clocked in (because he never really worked there) causing all kinds of headaches for Oklahoma from the NCAA. Had he been able to stay at Oklahoma, he might very well have been the top QB in the draft. He has an incredibly strong arm and he has very good football smarts. I believe he'll be a big improvement over Woodsen who also has a strong arm, but is more erratic and I don't think he has that instinctive football smarts to lead the team. I could be wrong of course, but that's what I've read.

I agree with Reese that Bomar still sitting there on the board was just too much value to pass up. Bomar should've gone much sooner and I have no doubt a whole lot of general managers in their war rooms went "shit", when the Giants grabbed him.

Lets see what happens when we have to cut down the roster in September. Last season we went with two QBs and had Woodsen on the practice squad. Now do we put Bomar on the practice squad as well or tie up another precious roster spot on a QB who won't start?

The only reason we only carried two QBs last year was because the Giants wanted to keep 2 kickers on the roster (Tynes and Carney). With Tynes being the only kicker that will make the 53 man roster almost certainly, the Giants will have 3 QBs on the roster to start the year, as is customary for them to do.

Strangely, kicker is an incredibly difficult position to project from college to pro. There's no clear methodology -- Adam Vinatieri hit something like 50% of his kicks in college and then developed into the best kicker of his generation. I guess the difference has something to do with the wider hashmarks in college and the different sized footballs...

I agree. Pick a quarterback when you have 2 able backups in Carr and Andre Woodson(who I was under the assumption we were developing to trade, too) in the hopes that one day, you can trade him for a pick a round before where you picked him originally...?