SportsWrath

Weekend cap hit: $14.5 million

jranieli

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/20...it-145-mil.html

The Giants weekend spending spree cost them $83 million in contracts and $14.5 million in salary cap space. At least that’s the rough estimate I was able to determine from salary figures obtained from the NFL Players’ Association today.

Keep in mind, the actual number is a little difficult to determine without all of the contract information, but it appears as if LB Michael Boley will count for about $4.7 million against the salary cap in 2009, DT Rocky Bernard will count for approximately $3.2 million, and DL Chris Canty will count for $6.65 million.

That’s a $14.55 million cap hit.

Here’s the breakdown:

• Boley signed a five-year, $25 million contract with $11 million guaranteed. According to NFLPA records he’ll make $2.5 million in 2009, $2.75 million in 2010, $3.5 million in 2011, $4 million in 2012 and $4.25 million in 2013. That leaves $8 million to be paid out in bonuses. He got $11 million of his contract guaranteed, according to a league source. So, in 2009, his cap number will be his $2.5 million salary plus a pro-rated portion of his guaranteed money ($2.2 million). Total: $4.7 million.

• Bernard signed a four-year, $16 million contract. The deal will pay him $1.9 million in 2009, according to NFLPA records, $2.45 million in 2010, $2.95 million in 2011 and $3.45 million in 2012. That leaves $5.25 million for bonuses. So his cap number will be his ‘09 salary ($1.9 million) plus the pro-rated bonus ($1.3 million). Total: $3.2 million (though it would be higher if any of his salary has been guaranteed).

• Canty signed a six-year, $42 million contract with $17.5 million guaranteed. According to those NFLPA records, he’ll get a salary of $3.75 million in 2009, $4.5 million in 2010, $5.25 million in 2011, $6 million in 2012, $6.25 million in 2013, and $6.5 million in 2014. That leaves $9.75 million in bonuses, and it appears that most of his 2009 and 2010 salaries are guaranteed. So his cap number will be his salary ($3.75 million) plus the pro-rated guarantee ($2.9 million). Total: $6.65 million.

And Boley ($4.7 million) plus Bernard ($3.2 million) plus Canty ($6.65 million) is $14.55 million. At least.

The Giants were believed to have about $15 million of salary cap space to spend when the free-agent signing period began. If they’ve used more than $14 million of it already — and assuming the $15 million was an accurate estimate to begin with — they’ll have to do some restructuring (or possibly cut a player or two) if they want to sign anybody else in free agency. They’ll also need to clear a little space before they start signing their draft picks in July.

Also of note: QB Eli Manning’s 2009 salary has jumped from $8.95 million to $9.4 million, DT Barry Cofield’s 2009 salary has jumped from $530,000 to $1.01 million, and LT David Diehl’s 2009 salary has jumped from $1.65 million to $2.4 million. The exact reasons for the jumps are unclear, but it happens all the time (and it’s why I hate giving you exact salary cap numbers). It likely has to do with some escalator clause or a performance bonus each player hit.

Regardless, that’s another $1.7 million in salaries that’s going to count against the 2009 cap.

Meanwhile, just in case there is any cap room left, safety C.C. Brown is still on his free-agent visit with the Giants and he’ll be staying the night, according to his agent, Chad Wiestling.

“He is still there,” Wiestling said in an e-mail. “No deal tonight. Talks will be tomorrow.”

That's idiotic. Why in the hell would the Giants ever dream of releasing Domenik Hixon?!

They're just as likely to release Eli Manning as they are to release Hixon.

There is no reason to his cap value is pennies.

as the information comes in, I am believing at this point the Giants will be trading out of the 1st round come draft day...I dont see any value at pick 29 for their needs, unless a LB falls to them which I doubt.

That's idiotic. Why in the hell would the Giants ever dream of releasing Domenik Hixon?!

They're just as likely to release Eli Manning as they are to release Hixon.

I concur. Hixon may not be an all star yet but Maningham, drafted WR and Smith is not going to be good. May as well get Jacobs and Bradshaw ready for 20 carries a game each if this the WR core.

as the information comes in, I am believing at this point the Giants will be trading out of the 1st round come draft day...I dont see any value at pick 29 for their needs, unless a LB falls to them which I doubt.

That would be stupid unless they are getting picks for the 2010 draft. I would say they are more likely to trade up than down.

That would be stupid unless they are getting picks for the 2010 draft. I would say they are more likely to trade up than down.

of course they would be gettig picks for next season, otherwise you would be right that would be stupid. From what I have been seeing, Reese going ape shit in free agency, an open welcome back to Burress, reports of Reese claiming they won't have as many picks come draft day, to all reports saying this is the weakest draft in years, I see the Giants trading away the 1st rounder this year for someone's 1st next year.

DOMENIK HIXON will most definately NOT be released.

hes young, highly skilled, and is extremely cheap as of now. (hes on his contract year)

Highly Skilled? your kidding right why does everyone have a love affair with Hixon on this board. Did you guys watch the same Hixon i watched :confused:

Highly skilled compared to Sinorice Moss. See once you put it in context, it makes sense.

Hixon is a number 3 receiver at best and we have a couple of those. I think Steve Smith could definitely step into Toomer's role as the number 2 lining up across the field from (insert name).

Highly Skilled? your kidding right why does everyone have a love affair with Hixon on this board. Did you guys watch the same Hixon i watched :confused:

Highly skilled compared to Sinorice Moss. See once you put it in context, it makes sense.

Hixon is a number 3 receiver at best and we have a couple of those. I think Steve Smith could definitely step into Toomer's role as the number 2 lining up across the field from (insert name).

We have a bunch of #3's just no #1 the coaches i think still have hopes for Manningham to be a #2 and we have Tyree still on the roster. Smith will be a the underneath slot reciever.

We have a bunch of #3's just no #1 the coaches i think still have hopes for Manningham to be a #2 and we have Tyree still on the roster. Smith will be a the underneath slot reciever.

Smith will be the #2, last year he was being groomed to take Toomer's place when he leaves. Smith did a good job and will easily fall into place as the #2 WR while Hixon/Moss/Manningham will fight it out for the #3 spot. We just need to find someone across from Smith, I'm hoping Plax will be back.