SportsWrath

Ralph V Blog Update

RandolphScott

The Blue Screen

It’s starting to look like before the end of the day, Cowboys defensive lineman Chris Canty will be a Giant. “There’s a chance,” his agent, Brad Blank, told me a few minutes ago.

And that just can’t be good news for veteran defensive tackle Fred Robbins.

Something’s got to give, as several NFL sources have told me in the last few hours, if the Giants sign the 26-year-old Canty, and it appears the 31-year-old Robbins might be it. Nobody can imagine the Giants sticking with all four veteran defensive tackles in a rotation that would include Canty, Robbins, Barry Cofield and the newly signed Rocky Bernard.

For one thing, it would be ridiculously expensive — about $12.5 million between the four of them, assuming Canty gets his $6 million per year and Bernard, as reported elsewhere, got about $4 million per year (Robbins is due $2 million in 2009 and Cofield is due $530,000). For another thing, while the depth is nice, playing time would become an issue. At most they’d average 20 snaps per player, per game (remember, DE Justin Tuck will figure into the DT rotation on passing downs), and they don’t need to spend that much money on what essentially would become a group of part-time players.

That’s why it was so hard to believe, at first, that the Giants would go hard after Canty. But apparently they are. In the last two hours, Canty’s agent, Brad Blank, has confirmed that he and the Giants are well into their contract talks. He got an offer from the Giants, sent them a counter-propsal, and now he’s awaiting a response from them.

According to one source familiar with the talks, the two sides are within striking distance of each other, though they still have a little bit of work to do on how much Canty will get up front. I haven’t yet nailed down any numbers, but sources around the league — away from the negotiations — keep throwing out that $6 million per year average.

If the Giants and Canty can’t work out a deal, Blank said his client will hope a flight to Green Bay, where the Packers have been getting more and more interested by the day. The Seattle Seahawks had a visit with Canty planned for Monday, but they canceled earlier today, Blank said, after they signed former Packers DT Colin Cole to a five-year, $21 million deal with $5 million guaranteed.

That’s an average of $4.2 million for Cole, by the way, and he’s not in Canty’s class. So $6 million per year might end up being a low guess.

The Giants don’t have to cut Robbins if they sign Canty — not for the cap room, anyway — but given the financial commitment it would seem clear that Canty and Bernard would end up the Giants starters. And, given his age (24) and salary, Cofield likely isn’t going anywhere. That leaves the aging Robbins, who’ll be 32 in March and who suffered through shoulder and hand injuries last season that dramatically limited his effectiveness as the season went on. Six weeks into the season he had 5 ½ sacks and looked to be on his way to the Pro Bowl.

But in the final 10 games he had no sacks, missed two games with injuries, and then he had to have knee surgery after the season, too.

He’s not getting any younger and, since he’s entering the final year of the six-year, $20 million contract he signed in 2009, the Giants would actually save $1.3 million in cap space if they cut him.

Again, something has got to give because Canty is getting very close to becoming a Giant.

You can never have enough pass rushers.

Yeah, but I wouldn't want Robbins to leave either. The guy is a team captain and I'm

sure his teammates love him. The only reason his play suffered is because of 2 broken hands

and a bad shoulder. 2 BROKEN HANDS, I still can't believe that.

I love what Reese and Coughlin have been doing for the past 2 years, but I have to question

this move.

Yeah, but I wouldn't want Robbins to leave either. The guy is a team captain and I'm

sure his teammates love him. The only reason his play suffered is because of 2 broken hands

I love what Reese and Coughlin have been doing for the past 2 years, but I have to question

this move.

I think we'll keep Robbins. We'd cut Tollefson and I bet Robbins would restructure.

It's official!

New York Giants agree to terms on a contract with defensive lineman Chris Canty

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger Sunday March 01, 2009, 3:59 PM

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

Chris Canty will still get a chance to hunt down NFC East quarterbacks. Only now, he'll do it in a Giants uniform.Three players in, three players added.

The Giants have plugged another free-agent piece into their defensive front today by signing lineman Chris Canty to an undisclosed contract, the team announced moments ago. Terms are not yet available. The former Cowboy will join LB Michael Boley and DT Rocky Bernard - both signed yesterday - as integral members of the Giants' front seven.

Canty, 26, is the biggest of the three additions - and the biggest surprise. A 3-4 defensive end for four seasons since the Cowboys drafted him in the fourth round of the 2005 draft, the 6-7, 304-pound Canty will now likely switch to tackle in the Giants' 4-3 scheme. It won't be that big of an adjustment, though Canty will now have to adjust to playing over opposing guards instead of tackles. He had 10 sacks (6 1/2 combined in the past two seasons) in his four years with Dallas. There's also a chance the Giants could line Canty up at end in some situations.

With a contract like the one he's about to officially sign, Canty will surely be a starter, which means either Fred Robbins or Barry Cofield will soon be in a backup role as part of a tackle rotation.

Robbins was one of the Giants' best defensive players through the first six games of last season, as he equaled his career-high of 5 1/2 sacks. But Robbins didn't register a sack the rest of the season and didn't get nearly as much penetration after suffering two broken hands and a shoulder injury. Robbins also injured his knee in the playoff loss to the Eagles and, like Cofield, he recently had his knee scoped.

Cofield is expected to be 100 percent by late spring and Robbins should also be recovered in the next few months. But Robbins will be 32 next month and will be a free agent after this upcoming season, so he might be the one losing his starting job for Canty and his days with the Giants could be numbered. And Jay Alford, a third-round pick in 2007 who's also the short snapper for field goals, is now seemingly fifth on the depth chart at tackle.

MG

This is a great move. Terrific off-season so far.

Now we can be flexible with our draft picks and trade up for a stud OL or playmaking WR, or stay put and continue to add good players.

this move.

I agree. I just hope that Canty has the ability to back-up at DE too. That gives us...

DE:

Osi

Tuck

Kiwi

Canty

DT:

Cofield

Robbins/Canty

Canty/Robbins

Alford

That's a nice looking rotation IF Canty can hang at DE in a 4-3.

edit: too much time with the toddlers today, I forgot the Giants signed Bernard too. I love the DL depth, but man...what does this mean for Robbins? I always thought he was incredibly underrated.

this move.

I'll never forget the first thing Coughlin said when he came to New York. He blatantly stated that football is won in the trenches and the Giants will own the trench when he's through.

Looks like he's sticking to his word.

Concerning Robbins....he won't be going anywhere and will get lots of playing time. But at 34, he's nearing the end of his career and we have a bigtime veteran (who's only 27 years old) that helps us greatly and gives a big old fat lip to the cowturds. I love it!

I'll never forget the first thing Coughlin said when he came to New York. He blatantly stated that football is won in the trenches and the Giants will own the trench when he's through.

Looks like he's sticking to his word.

Concerning Robbins....he won't be going anywhere and will get lots of playing time. But at 34, he's nearing the end of his career and we have a bigtime veteran (who's only 27 years old) that helps us greatly and gives a big old fat lip to the cowturds. I love it!

He is only 31 dude.

this move.

Totally agree but I'd have to wait and see the final chapter of this before I start questioning anyone.

Giants | Robbins may be released

Sun, 01 Mar 2009 14:48:38 -0800

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Giants may release DT Fred Robbins, according to league sources.

Giants | Robbins may be released

Sun, 01 Mar 2009 14:48:38 -0800

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Giants may release DT Fred Robbins, according to league sources.

Fucking brutal <_<

I would feel bad if Robbins were released, but it could help him and at this point the Giants have shown that they are willing to move on with certain guys and not overpay for aging players as they once did.

Possible too that Kiwi is being shopped around to teams. Remember Zona just lost a DE?

Robbins in no danger

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

There's been speculation all sorts of places - even earlier on this blog - that the signing of Chris Canty the day after adding another defensive tackle, Rocky Bernard, could signal the end of the road for Fred Robbins Fred Robbins t.gif. But that does not seem to be the case.

Robbins has been the Giants New York Giants t.gif best defensive tackle the past two seasons and is a quiet, hard-working veteran who makes no trouble and gives a solid effort. He's coming off an injury-filled season and turns 32 later this month but the Giants have no plans to send him packing. Instead, Canty will move into a starting spot and most likely Barry Cofield Barry Cofield t.gif - a starter the past two seasons - will move into a reserve role and play in a rotation along with the newly-signed Bernard, who is a much better pass-rusher than Cofield. Where this leaves third-year Jay Alford Jay Alford t.gif remains to be seen.

Clearly, the Giants are excited about the signing of Canty, Bernard and former Falcons linebacker Michael Boley.

"We had a conviction on who we liked in the free agent market and who could help us get better," general Manager Jerry Reese said. "We let the three players know that, and the feeling was mutual. They want to win, and they wanted to be here. Fortunately, we were able to get the deals done quickly.

"Chris is an athletic, big man who can play anywhere in our front," said Reese. "He gives us a lot of flexibility in that respect. Our defensive line did a very good job last year, but without Osi [umenyiora] and [Michael Strahan Michael Strahan t.gif] we seemed to get worn down late in the season and we weren't able to generate the kind of pass rush that we're accustomed to. Hopefully with the addition of Rocky and Chris, and with Osi coming back, that won't happen again."

Tom Coughlin said "This is an outstanding 'get' for the New York Giants. Chris is a very highly touted player. He is an outstanding football player. I always like the idea of getting a player who has competed within the division."

Canty was born and raised in The Bronx until his family moved away to Charlotte when he was 11 years old. He considers New York his home.

"I'm excited about getting the opportunity to come here and be a part of this team and this organization," said Canty. "I'm so happy. The Giants have a great winning tradition, and I am excited to come here and have a chance to win a championship."

new_york_post357:http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/giants/archives/2009/03/robbins_in_no_d.htmlBuzz up! Posted by Paul Schwartz on March 1, 2009 6:53 PM

Robbins is safe

Robbins is safe

I hope so, but I didn't see any quotes from Coughlin or Reese that spelled out that Robbins won't be cut. Was it Vacchio who said that the Giants will actually save 1.3 million towards the cap by cutting Robbins? That is a powerful motivator to just let him go. I think that if it happens, though, it will happen tomorrow. The Giants will be respectful of Fred and let him try to move on with another team as quickly as possible, before teams have made commitments to the position. If it doesn't happen tomorrow, Fred will be back. I hope he is, and that egos won't be hurt by this move.

This kind of depth on a D-line is unheard of. This pretty much assures that no DT will be taken by the Giants in the draft, at least not until the 7th round, more than likely. I can't see why they would they would draft one. And with Tuck, Osi, Kiwi, and Tollefson at DE, I suppose that they could draft a project end in the 3rd or later, but that too, is unnecessary. They know have the luxury in this draft to be focal about the positions that they want to fill. Those MUST be WR, LB, and S. And don't be surprised if they draft a stud OL early as well, and don't be surprised to see them trade up, either.

They have at least 9 picks on draft day (not sure of any compensatory picks late). This is going to be fun to watch.

I would feel bad if Robbins were released, but it could help him and at this point the Giants have shown that they are willing to move on with certain guys and not overpay for aging players as they once did.

Possible too that Kiwi is being shopped around to teams. Remember Zona just lost a DE?

Yeah and they also have a WR I hear wants to be traded... :ph34r:

I read somewhere Kiwi and a draft pick for Braylon Edwards. I would love to buy low on this guy.

Yeah and they also have a WR I hear wants to be traded... :ph34r:

I read somewhere Kiwi and a draft pick for Braylon Edwards. I would love to buy low on this guy.

Oh, gateb, let's please not talk about Kiwi leaving! Kiwi is a Giant! I don't want to see him leave. Personally, with the crap year that Edwards had last year, Kiwi AND a draft pick would be grossly overpaying, that is not buying low! A starting caliber DE AND a pick for Edwards, who may be psychologically damaged goods? I would give a 2nd and a 6th for him, MAYBE upgrade the 6th to a 5th, but no more.

Oh, gateb, let's please not talk about Kiwi leaving! Kiwi is a Giant! I don't want to see him leave. Personally, with the crap year that Edwards had last year, Kiwi AND a draft pick would be grossly overpaying, that is not buying low! A starting caliber DE AND a pick for Edwards, who may be psychologically damaged goods? I would give a 2nd and a 6th for him, MAYBE upgrade the 6th to a 5th, but no more.

He's talented enough to be a top 5 WR and he's proved it as recently as 2007. This team needs a gamebreaker at WR and he provides that.

It's easy to say "oh let's just bring Plax back he's locked up anyway" but it'll be a circus in training camp. There'll be too much stuff about him and if he gets off to a slow start with dropped passes then there'll be a lot of negative discussion circling the team.

Edwards doesn't even need to be an 80 catch guy. Plax had 40 catches in 8 or 9 games with avg. production but he was arguably our most valuable offensive weapon. We just need a guy teams can respect down the field.

Not to mention I think Kiwi will be an FA within the next two years and there's no way we'll be able to give him what the market demands.

Are you hinting at a Kiwi trade for Boldin?

He's talented enough to be a top 5 WR and he's proved it as recently as 2007. This team needs a gamebreaker at WR and he provides that.

It's easy to say "oh let's just bring Plax back he's locked up anyway" but it'll be a circus in training camp. There'll be too much stuff about him and if he gets off to a slow start with dropped passes then there'll be a lot of negative discussion circling the team.

Edwards doesn't even need to be an 80 catch guy. Plax had 40 catches in 8 or 9 games with avg. production but he was arguably our most valuable offensive weapon. We just need a guy teams can respect down the field.

Not to mention I think Kiwi will be an FA within the next two years and there's no way we'll be able to give him what the market demands.

Hey, I agree with EVERYTHING you said until the last sentence. And truly, I have been a proponent for trading for Edwards. I just don't want to see Kiwi leave in that trade. We can afford draft picks right now, and of course I'd throw in Sinorice Moss :hehe: .

We got a 2nd and a 5th for Shockey. Why should we give anymore for the league leader in drops for 2008? Do I want him? Yes. But for fair value. Meaning Kiwi and a pick is overpaying, IMO. We'll see what happens, though. I want to see Kenny Britt on the Giants. And with all the picks we have, and little else to do to round out this roster other than getting 2 safeties, 2 offensive lineman, and a linebacker, we can afford to draft a couple of WR's and see what happens! Britt with one of the first two picks, Greg Carr in the 5th!

Hey, I agree with EVERYTHING you said until the last sentence. And truly, I have been a proponent for trading for Edwards. I just don't want to see Kiwi leave in that trade. We can afford draft picks right now, and of course I'd throw in Sinorice Moss :hehe: .

We got a 2nd and a 5th for Shockey. Why should we give anymore for the league leader in drops for 2008? Do I want him? Yes. But for fair value. Meaning Kiwi and a pick is overpaying, IMO. We'll see what happens, though. I want to see Kenny Britt on the Giants. And with all the picks we have, and little else to do to round out this roster other than getting 2 safeties, 2 offensive lineman, and a linebacker, we can afford to draft a couple of WR's and see what happens! Britt with one of the first two picks, Greg Carr in the 5th!

You may want to acquire the guy who led the league in drops in 2008 but the Browns may want value for the guy who was a top 3 WR in 2007.

With a stacked dline and a plethora of draft picks it's a reasonable deal, as long as it's not a first rounder.

And we need a WR who can make an immediate impact as a #1. Britt has tools to be possibly a very good WR one day but I can't remember the last time a WR with his height made an immediate impact as a #1 in his rookie year.

You may want to acquire the guy who led the league in drops in 2008 but the Browns may want value for the guy who was a top 3 WR in 2007.

With a stacked dline and a plethora of draft picks it's a reasonable deal, as long as it's not a first rounder.

And we need a WR who can make an immediate impact as a #1. Britt has tools to be possibly a very good WR one day but I can't remember the last time a WR with his height made an immediate impact as a #1 in his rookie year.

In his sophomore season Brandon Marshall had 102 catches with 7 TD's. In his rookie year he wasn't afforded the same opportunity.

Randy Moss had an unreal rookie season, yes that was a long time ago, though. Anquan Boldin had 101 catches his rookie year. Dwayne Bowe had a 70 catch, 995 yard, 5 TD rookie year. Calvin Johnson had a pretty good rookie year I believe as a 3rd WR. Andre Johnson had nearly a thousand yards his rookie year with 4 TD's. Fitzy 780 yards with 8 TD's his rookie year.

Not trying to be a contrarian, but you inspired me to search some information about rookie WR's. Not saying it will happen with Britt, but it's possible he could give us more than what our current stable of receivers can.

In his sophomore season Brandon Marshall had 102 catches with 7 TD's. In his rookie year he wasn't afforded the same opportunity.

Randy Moss had an unreal rookie season, yes that was a long time ago, though. Anquan Boldin had 101 catches his rookie year. Dwayne Bowe had a 70 catch, 995 yard, 5 TD rookie year. Calvin Johnson had a pretty good rookie year I believe as a 3rd WR. Andre Johnson had nearly a thousand yards his rookie year with 4 TD's. Fitzy 780 yards with 8 TD's his rookie year.

Not trying to be a contrarian, but you inspired me to search some information about rookie WR's. Not saying it will happen with Britt, but it's possible he could give us more than what our current stable of receivers can.

To add to that list, Desean Jackson worked out pretty well for the Eagles last year.