SportsWrath

And the Plax situation is off and running...

so-cal dub

-=LINK=-

There are plenty of obstacles to Plaxico Burress' returning to the Giants: his legal situation, a potential suspension by the NFL and the Giants' impatience with his off-field issues.

As if those factors didn't make the situation complicated enough, Burress' agent has informed the other 31 NFL teams his client might be available to play for them.

And the Giants apparently aren't happy.

Drew Rosenhaus, who has represented Burress since he signed with the Giants four years ago, sent an e-mail to all 32 teams earlier this week in which he indicated Burress could be acquired via trade, according to three people informed of the contents of the e-mail. The people, who requested anonymity because the e-mail was not to be discussed publicly, said it was a list of Rosenhaus' free-agent and draft-eligible clients as well as three players he deemed trade-able.

All three are wide receivers: the Cardinals' Anquan Boldin, the Bengals' Chad Johnson and Burress.

Rosenhaus did not return a call or an e-mail seeking comment. A Giants spokesman said general manager Jerry Reese had "nothing to say" on the matter.

But according to one of the people familiar with the situation -- a member of one team's front office who was on Rosenhaus' list of recipients -- the Giants had plenty to say earlier this week. Giants assistant general manager Kevin Abrams notified the rest of the league that the Giants had not authorized Rosenhaus to pursue trade scenarios on Burress' behalf, and that any inquiries about Burress' availability would constitute tampering.

Another person informed of the situation said Rosenhaus sent out another e-mail yesterday in which he clarified he doesn't have permission to seek a trade for any of the three clients he listed.

Neither the collective bargaining agreement nor the NFL Players Association regulations for agents prohibit an agent from alerting teams of a player's potential availability via trade. It would be a violation if an agent took steps to facilitate a trade, such as contract negotiations or conversations about compensation.

Of course, any inquiries from any team about Burress' availability would be speculative at this point. Burress, 31, faces two felony counts of illegal possession of a firearm following his self-shooting at a Manhattan night club in November. If convicted, Burress could be sentenced to 3½ to 15 years in prison. The Giants are taking a wait-and-see approach with Burress, so any prospective trading partner would seemingly also want to see what develops at the 9-year veteran's next court date, which is scheduled for March 31.

The Giants have sent mixed signals publicly when asked about their future plans for Burress. Reese said after the playoff loss to the Eagles last month he would "absolutely" welcome Burress back "if everything goes all right." But a few days later, when Tom Coughlin was asked during an interview on WFAN if he'd be in favor of Burress' return, the coach replied, "I'm not ready to say that. We need to sit down and think about it and talk about that and to see what the circumstance might be."

Last week, FOXSports.com reported the Giants sent Burress a letter in December stating they were attempting to recoup past and future bonus money because they believed Burress had defaulted on his contract. Shortly after the Giants suspended Burress four games, the NFLPA said the team withheld a $1-million payment of his signing bonus.

Teams normally don't attempt to recoup money until they plan to divorce themselves from a player. But the Giants might be making procedural moves to establish they fully intended to recoup bonus money in the event Burress is incarcerated and/or suspended.

Rosenhaus is shopping him already? :confused: So...I guess this ba-bye for real now?

Burress, Moss, and a 2nd rounder for Anquan.

Eagles are going to land Burress. They have all the bargaining chips, and if we were to get him it would be very costly becasue of it.

I'm wiping Boldin from my wish list, and replacing him with Braylon.

Eagles are going to land Burress. They have all the bargaining chips, and if we were to get him it would be very costly becasue of it.

I'm wiping Boldin from my wish list, and replacing him with Braylon.

If you were Boldin, which team would you rather go to?

My guess.. the Giants. And if the Giants keep Plax and land Boldin then they will continue to be a force to be reckoned with for years to come.

If you were Boldin, which team would you rather go to?

My guess.. the Giants. And if the Giants keep Plax and land Boldin then they will continue to be a force to be reckoned with for years to come.

Unfortunately, a player has little say on where he goes in a trade.

The real question is, do the Cards want a Eagles 1st and 2nd(plus they also have an additional 1st) or a Giants 1st and 2nd PLUS who is willing to throw in a 3rd round pick and maybe more if it becomes a trading stalemate.

Unfortunately, a player has little say on where he goes in a trade.

The real question is, do the Cards want a Eagles 1st and 2nd(plus they also have an additional 1st) or a Giants 1st and 2nd PLUS who is willing to throw in a 3rd round pick and maybe more if it becomes a trading stalemate.

Well I don't think the Giants will give up that much for anyone at this point. I'm not sure the Eagles will do the same either. I'm afraid Boldin, though an awesome player is way overpriced at this point.

Well I don't think the Giants will give up that much for anyone at this point. I'm not sure the Eagles will do the same either. I'm afraid Boldin, though an awesome player is way overpriced at this point.

Well the Cards have stated numerous times that they wont settle for anything less then a 1st+ and it looks like the Eagles and Giants are willing to throw their 1st round at them, however like I said it's going to be the team willing to offer more that will get him. You never know maybe some team like the Bongels just for a crazy example go over the top and offer them a 1st, 2nd, 5th and a 3rd next year and end up landing him.

I highly doubt the Giants will offer ANYTHING more then a 1st and 2nd maybe..maybe if we are really desperate our 1st and both 2nd this year and we end up getting some late round picks this year or next year.

I could see the Giants moving Plax somewhere between the court dates and the draft. much like Shockey a year ago.

Articles are starting to come up that he wants to be traded, but his value can only be determined after his legal scenario plays out. I think the Giants would be able to get at least a second rounder for him and that would make the draft more interesting or a Boldin deal much more plausible.

I could see the Giants moving Plax somewhere between the court dates and the draft. much like Shockey a year ago.

Articles are starting to come up that he wants to be traded, but his value can only be determined after his legal scenario plays out. I think the Giants would be able to get at least a second rounder for him and that would make the draft more interesting or a Boldin deal much more plausible.

Why trade a star WR who can very well learn from his debacle and move on for a mere 2nd rounder? Think big.. think dominance.. Think Plax in Blue and a bold attempt to get Boldin or another star WR.. I don't buy that Ocho Cinco is going to be a distraction.. fuck that.. bring him.. he ain't no TO.

Why trade a star WR who can very well learn from his debacle and move on for a mere 2nd rounder? Think big.. think dominance.. Think Plax in Blue and a bold attempt to get Boldin or another star WR.. I don't buy that Ocho Cinco is going to be a distraction.. fuck that.. bring him.. he ain't no TO.

think salary cap

Long term deals make things easier on the cap. We have plenty of room.

I think the concern is long term deals for big bruising running backs isn't a good idea. I do believe the Giants and BJ will reach a middle of a road deal... meanwhile I just can't stand this period of lull.. nothing but speculations.. rumors.. and no real action.

See 2008