SportsWrath

Officiating

Lubeck

</h3>

<h3>4. Officials keep flags in pockets

It always seems that when playoff berths are on the line, the officials let teams play. The number of calls are reduced, and the game is left to the players to win or lose. I don't mean that officials ignore the calls, but they aren't hung up on a lot of ticky-tack penalties.

In the 15 games played Thursday, Saturday or Sunday, 14 teams were called for three or fewer penalties. The Texans had only one penalty, and the Cowboys were the lone team in double digits with 10 infractions. With fewer calls, games had better flow, and eight of them finished in under three hours.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

There were so many calls that were left on the field, and the vast majority being against the Giants, that I was disgusted at times.

Holding a dlineman who is trying to do his job is NOT ticky tacky. That is illegaly and if that is meant to let the teams play the game, then the game is broken.

</h3>

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

There were so many calls that were left on the field, and the vast majority being against the Giants, that I was disgusted at times.

Holding a dlineman who is trying to do his job is NOT ticky tacky. That is illegaly and if that is meant to let the teams play the game, then the game is broken.

Did you hear on the FAN that the officiating crew that did the Giants/Panthers game are known for minimal flags....especially holding. I almost had a car accident when I heard that.

Penalties confuse me.

Most of you were in favor of eliminating the push out rule, explaining that if a receiver jumps to catch the ball, the defensive back has the right to push him out because that is good defense.

Then, shouldn't we view holding the same way? It is the blockers job to keep the defender from hitting his quarterback, and when you think about it, a defender can spin, rip, swim, even juke an offensive lineman, yet the blocker is expected to keep his pads inside the shoulders. A bit of a double standard if you ask me.

Penalties confuse me.

Most of you were in favor of eliminating the push out rule, explaining that if a receiver jumps to catch the ball, the defensive back has the right to push him out because that is good defense.

Then, shouldn't we view holding the same way? It is the blockers job to keep the defender from hitting his quarterback, and when you think about it, a defender can spin, rip, swim, even juke an offensive lineman, yet the blocker is expected to keep his pads inside the shoulders. A bit of a double standard if you ask me.

No way, that would make it way too easy for the offense.

Anybody get a good look at the holding call on Steve Smith? He was so frustrated by being shut down by Corey Webster, Smith practically put Webster in a headlock on that play. That was a justified holding call if I ever saw one.

The penalty no-call I'm worried about in the 'let 'em play' playoffs is defensive holding on the defensive linemen; our OL is so good at pulling, sometimes defensive linemen grab on rather than let them get loose. Its quite illegal, and often goes uncalled (see the last Dallas game for example).

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww...:P

No way, that would make it way too easy for the offense.

Anybody get a good look at the holding call on Steve Smith? He was so frustrated by being shut down by Corey Webster, Smith practically put Webster in a headlock on that play. That was a justified holding call if I ever saw one.

The penalty no-call I'm worried about in the 'let 'em play' playoffs is defensive holding on the defensive linemen; our OL is so good at pulling, sometimes defensive linemen grab on rather than let them get loose. Its quite illegal, and often goes uncalled (see the last Dallas game for example).

I'm all for calling the blatant calls, the ones where the blocker basically bear hugs the defender and takes him down. But a rusher can do damn near anything he wants to get by the blocker, but the blocker must keep his hands inside and can't grab on. I just think if a defender is allowed to push a receiver out of bounds to prevent a catch, blockers should be allowed a little more flexibility when doing their job.

I'm all for calling the blatant calls, the ones where the blocker basically bear hugs the defender and takes him down. But a rusher can do damn near anything he wants to get by the blocker, but the blocker must keep his hands inside and can't grab on. I just think if a defender is allowed to push a receiver out of bounds to prevent a catch, blockers should be allowed a little more flexibility when doing their job.

And in reality they do, O-linemen hold basically on every play. But if a blatant hold is what opens up the running lane for a big play or prevents a sack it has to be called.

The sidelines hit though is totally different, if the guy is going to catch the ball in the middle of the field you can flatten him to try preventing him from catching the ball, that should work on the sidelines too. Plus it takes a judgment call away from the refs, either the guy got both feet in with possession or he did not.

And in reality they do, O-linemen hold basically on every play. But if a blatant hold is what opens up the running lane for a big play or prevents a sack it has to be called.

The sidelines hit though is totally different, if the guy is going to catch the ball in the middle of the field you can flatten him to try preventing him from catching the ball, that should work on the sidelines too. Plus it takes a judgment call away from the refs, either the guy got both feet in with possession or he did not.

You're absolutely correct, and in a way proved my point. If it happens on nearly every play, why call it only sometimes? We've all seen long plays come back because of a shady holding call. Make the rule a little more liberal, let the lineman get away with more so plays aren't coming back because if wishy washy calls. Where you can't say that same thing happened the previous play but wasn't called.

With the push out the official had to predict that the receiver was going to land in bounds but was pushed out. With the close plays its just not fair that the ref would have to travel back in time and alter the space-time continuum to determine what the player would have done had he not been pushed out.

Holding is holding theres no judgement call on it.

With the push out the official had to predict that the receiver was going to land in bounds but was pushed out. With the close plays its just not fair that the ref would have to travel back in time and alter the space-time continuum to determine what the player would have done had he not been pushed out.

Holding is holding theres no judgement call on it.

The why does it happen on "every play" yet only called a couple times a game?

The why does it happen on "every play" yet only called a couple times a game?

There are different degrees of holding. A lineman who grabs a jersey then lets go shouldn't be called, but when he grabs and throws the opponent to the ground or out of the play via the hold, it's an obvious penalty and should be called.

If holding was eliminated we'd see some very fucked up football.

LOL!!! If holding was eliminated we would see some crazy scores and defense would be similar to what you find in the NBA. All of those anti-Knicks rules the NBA passed years ago to liven up the game has made the NBA the league/game without defense. Another reason why the college game is more interesting. You have hockey/soccer on one end with too little scoring and then you have the NBA on the other hand with too much. I think the NFL has the right balance. Holding is a part of it. Back in the day a lineman was automatically called when he extended his hands...now these guys clutch and grab every thing they can get a hold of.

There are different degrees of holding. A lineman who grabs a jersey then lets go shouldn't be called, but when he grabs and throws the opponent to the ground or out of the play via the hold, it's an obvious penalty and should be called.

If holding was eliminated we'd see some very fucked up football.

Reread what I posted Nesta, I'm not calling for the elimination of holding, I'm calling for the rules to be a little more liberal. If a lineman grabs a jersey and steers the defender away from the play, then obviously thats a penalty, but something needs to be done when that half the time something is being called and the other half the exact same thing isn't being called. Like I said before, we've all seen those holding calls where we're trying to figure out where the hold is.

The way I look at it, if the officials can consciously decide to let the teams play, and relax the level of whats a hold during this time of the year, why not do the same the rest of the year?

Reread what I posted Nesta, I'm not calling for the elimination of holding, I'm calling for the rules to be a little more liberal. If a lineman grabs a jersey and steers the defender away from the play, then obviously thats a penalty, but something needs to be done when that half the time something is being called and the other half the exact same thing isn't being called. Like I said before, we've all seen those holding calls where we're trying to figure out where the hold is.

The way I look at it, if the officials can consciously decide to let the teams play, and relax the level of whats a hold during this time of the year, why not do the same the rest of the year?

:unsure:

They could start by eliminating the holding call.

You never said anything in contrast to the eliminating holding comment, so maybe you're not as clear as you think.

If you were being facetious, fine. No need to be an asshole. :brooding:

I wasn't being an asshole ass hat.

As for the me not saying anything other than eliminating the holding penalty, I said multpile times blatant holds should be called, but that the rule should be a little more liberal so that refs don't call ticky tacky penalties in key moments. If they can consciously decide to not call something close during the late part of the year in the name of letting teams play, why don't they do that the rest of the year?

And i truely wasn't trying to be an asshole.

I wasn't being an asshole ass hat.

As for the me not saying anything other than eliminating the holding penalty, I said multpile times blatant holds should be called, but that the rule should be a little more liberal so that refs don't call ticky tacky penalties in key moments. If they can consciously decide to not call something close during the late part of the year in the name of letting teams play, why don't they do that the rest of the year?

And i truely wasn't trying to be an asshole.

You're still being an asshole.