SportsWrath

Dynasties in the age of Salary Cap

Nas

So I was thinking.. suddenly we have all these super stars which all command top dollar and it made me wonder, can we hold on to enough of them without lose our dominance? And the bigger question is would they be super-stars on other teams?

Feel free to add players who will need to be resigned here.. from what I've seen here BJ and Webster come to mind. Would BJ be as dominant on other teams with less stellar offensive line.. and would Webster be talked about as a shut down corner if our pass rush wasn't superb?

The other side of the coin, what players haven't lived up to their contracts? Personally I think Plax is the only one who comes to mind... but that's now.. I feel he's going to come thru in the latter part of the season... the same way he came alive last season.

Discuss.

The pass rush hasn't been as consistent as it was last year and Webster is

usually non existent during the games and that means who ever he is covering

is non existent also.

I think Jacobs would be a good back on any team, he is that much of a physical

freak of nature, however..he does need a good complementary back behind him.

It's just a thought that crossed my mind because now everyone wants top dollars and I happened to believe this team is good because it plays as such.. not because we have any super stars.

Warren Moon talked about how Belicheck may move to make Cassel his permanent starter and that it's the system not the personnel that make these players who they are.. remember Brady was a relative unknown when he replaced Bledsoe.

It's just a thought that crossed my mind because now everyone wants top dollars

I sincerely hope that we have at least some players who are more interested in being on a winning team than big dollars and learn from Wilson.

I am also an extremely naive person.

I sincerely hope that we have at least some players who are more interested in being on a winning team than big dollars and learn from Wilson.

I am also an extremely naive person.

You're right... they will go after the money.. and I'm sure there are a lot of Al Wilson's out there too. Just look at the guys who left New England to play for other teams... no one hears about them.

I'd like to see us somehow keep Ward, too. Is he a free agent to be?

Make sure the lines are taken care of, and keep drafting versatile D-lineman!!

Ward was signed for only one year. And he's not a top priority as that kid Ware should us his stuff in the pre-season.

Ward was signed for only one year. And he's not a top priority as that kid Ware should us his stuff in the pre-season.

I'd still like to have him. I just love this team the way it is, and would hate to see anyone go. Of course, that's not realistic, so we have to enjoy these times while we can.

I also threw out the word dynasty 2 days ago. :TU: God, I hope that's what we are witnessing.

It's just a thought that crossed my mind because now everyone wants top dollars and I happened to believe this team is good because it plays as such.. not because we have any super stars.

Warren Moon talked about how Belicheck may move to make Cassel his permanent starter and that it's the system not the personnel that make these players who they are.. remember Brady was a relative unknown when he replaced Bledsoe.

i find that hard to believe.

i find that hard to believe.

At first it sounds ridiculous but the more you think about it, the more it sets in and is at least debatable. Think about it.. Brady was a relative unknown and Bledsoe was the talk of the town... He was let go... and Brady fit into that system just fine.. not Cassel has gotten used to the team is outperforming Brady in comparison... Sure Brady's had 3 rings... but this is what have you done for me lately league (taken from ESPN today)

At first it sounds ridiculous but the more you think about it, the more it sets in and is at least debatable. Think about it.. Brady was a relative unknown and Bledsoe was the talk of the town... He was let go... and Brady fit into that system just fine.. not Cassel has gotten used to the team is outperforming Brady in comparison... Sure Brady's had 3 rings... but this is what have you done for me lately league (taken from ESPN today)

i find it hard to believe that belicheck even thought about it - i believe that moon or someone on espn said "he may want to think about it"

cassell will be a free agent at the end of this season as long as brady's leg doesn't fall off. the team that gets him will pay big money and he will be a scott mitchell sized bust.

i find it hard to believe that belicheck even thought about it - i believe that moon or someone on espn said "he may want to think about it"

cassell will be a free agent at the end of this season as long as brady's leg doesn't fall off. the team that gets him will pay big money and he will be a scott mitchell sized bust.

Agreed.

I lmao every time some Texan fan calls into sports radio and suggest picking up Cassell.

It's definitely the system and Belichick said as much when Brady got injured. Reporters acted like the Patriots should just forfiet all their games but Belichick said Cassell will do fine and he has. This is why coaching and scouting should be the biggest concern for any team but many teams cheap out. I may not like Belichick but you have to admire a coach that can win no matter what happens and Coughlin seems to be reaching that status also.

jacobs definitely needs to be resigned....his size and speed wear down defenses unlike any other back. Its what makes the other two more affective. I think Ward is not worthy of more than veteran money but that's me.

I would like to resign Webster but not at the money he is going to command and with this kid Thomas in the wings, Webster might become expendable if they can't sign him cheap.

All of the o-lineman must be kept, and our drafts now must emphasize on bringing in younger talent to supplement them for a smooth transition. I mean lets face it when you have 5 guys that are studs on the line, it is nearly impossible to resign them all.

As for defense, Barry Coefield in my opinion is excellent against the run, decent against the pass and needs to be kept here...Robbins is having a great career now that he is with the g-men, but he is not that "whoa, we have to keep that DT" type of player.

It's definitely the system and Belichick said as much when Brady got injured. Reporters acted like the Patriots should just forfiet all their games but Belichick said Cassell will do fine and he has. This is why coaching and scouting should be the biggest concern for any team but many teams cheap out. I may not like Belichick but you have to admire a coach that can win no matter what happens and Coughlin seems to be reaching that status also.

it's a combination...brady is a very good QB all around, and would be successful on many teams...but the dog agrees that the system is what can elevate a QB from average to good, good to great...in the end, you still need a QB with the athletic tools, work ethic, intelligence and leadership...brady has all of that, and benefits from a great system and great coaching...

If Bellichek was to ever replace Brady with Cassel, he should be run out of town. Do you think Bellichek is winning superbowls with Bledsoe like he has with Brady. And I thought Bledsoe was a good QB, but Brady is special. He's flat out the best QB in the league.

Bellicheck is a decent coach, with Brady he's been a great coach.

If Bellichek was to ever replace Brady with Cassel, he should be run out of town. Do you think Bellichek is winning superbowls with Bledsoe like he has with Brady. And I thought Bledsoe was a good QB, but Brady is special. He's flat out the best QB in the league.

Bellicheck is a decent coach, with Brady he's been a great coach.

Debatable.

He is definitely in the top 3. I still can't say Peyton is better or worse than Brady. Brees is achieving that status as well.

sorry that is not debatable....Brady is the best QB in the league

Sure it is. No one was saying that before Brady had Moss, Welker, and Stallworth to throw to.

He's always been good, but the consensus before last year was that Manning was tops.

Sure it is. No one was saying that before Brady had Moss, Welker, and Stallworth to throw to.

He's always been good, but the consensus before last year was that Manning was tops.

See, PP. It IS debatable ;). And once again.. you're wrong.. you're always wrong.. na na na na nahhh.

I don't think if we get to the dynasty stage, and we aren't there yet, you're going to see a dynasty like the old Pittsburgh teams; more like the New England model. That is, maybe a few core players kept, but on the whole, we let go during FA, not necessarily keep our "superstars."

Other than 2005, this team was built by the draft, and a few mid- to low-end free agent signings. The only real superstars we have are Manning, Jacobs, and maybe Tuck this year.

Add one more superstar: our depth. That's really what is driving this team--and depth comes primarily through the draft, not free agency. Think about it, other than Danny Clark, most of our FA signings of the last 2-3 years aren't even dressing for most of the games!

Even Umenyioura is going to have a hard sell trying to get more money this coming year: how do you demand a raise when the defense hasn't really lost a step with your absence?

Our Oline and Dlines are fantastic, but the oline is locked up for a few years, and there is still some improvement on the dline that can be made--young DTs, specifically. That's not a knock on our DTs, just the hard reality that Fred Robbins isn't going to play at this level too much longer--he is in his 30's.

As long as we continue to upgrade our depth through the draft, we can afford to lose players through free-agency. In fact, it might work to our benefit, since we can't hang on to our superstars until they become mere shadows of themselves, and windup having most of our team retire at once.

I think I read in the Daily News today how players found it odd that Plax was asking for a new deal when he had 3 years remaining while guys like BJ and a few others were in their last year.

I have this strong feeling that either Plax is going to come one strong like last year or he won't be a Giant next season. I mean look at it. This team has been performing like a well-oiled machine.. and the only distractions has come from one player... an overpaid one at that.