SportsWrath

Am I the only one concerned witht he giants red zone offense?

MakeMeSomeFoodHo

You know I could be completely wrong, I didnt look up the stats, but it seems like we have a lot of problems getting TD's when in the red zone. ANd Im not just talking about yesterday, it seems like its been a problem for a few years now. I am a bit concerned.

I'm not that concerned about it yet. Yesterday proved to us that even with Jacobs plowing the line, a good defensive line like the Steelers have can stop the run. Pulling Boss out of the hat for the TD was a smart play. With our running backs, the defense is focusing on the run and guys like Plax are tightly covered. We have enough weapons to get into the endzone....it's just that Gilbride needs a few more plays in his playbook that he saves up for a surprise TD like the one to Boss. When all we need is a single yard to score, you know the defense is geared up for a Jacobs power run. If we split tails with Jacobs and Bradshaw, I think Bradshaw could easily pick up a yard on a sweep. And in the air game, Smith and Toomer are money guys and we can use Plax to decoy. And we still have Boss, Hedgecock, and Ward who can play the option.

I think the problem sits in the lap of Gilbride and that he's a little too predictable.

Regardless....I'm not worried yet. If we have a few more games like yesterday, I will start to worry more.

You know I could be completely wrong, I didnt look up the stats, but it seems like we have a lot of problems getting TD's when in the red zone. ANd Im not just talking about yesterday, it seems like its been a problem for a few years now. I am a bit concerned.

There's your problem. We run a green zone offense :P

But, you are right.We need to do something with our offense to get it in the endzone. To many times I see us march up the field only to stall some place between to endzone and the 20 yard line. I feel we should get to the point where we will be feared by any opposing Defence when we get to their 40.We need a change maybe a 2 back set with Ward and Jacobs and 3 WR's. when the see us dumping the ball off to ward out of the back field the will key on him pulling the LB's in closer thus opening up the middle of the field for say Smith or Plax . I feel there are a lot of other combination's that could come out of this 2 back set we just have...... Gilbride just has not figured it out yet :doh:

It seems like its been a problem for many years now, not sure how to fix it...I dont think its just gilbride as it seemed to be a problem in the past when he wasnt the oc. I agree with both of your ideas, they are very predictable and need to mix it u a bit more....lets see what happens in the next few times we get down there...but as I said, I am a bit concerened...yesterdays game could have been and should have been a blow out

I think execution is the problem, not so much the coaching. If you are on the goaline and you have a guy 260 pounds running at the line, you need to get in. Frankly, Bradshaw would have hit that line harder. Jacobs seems to have problems getting momentum running straight up the middle. Ward does a better job IMO.

Secondly, Eli is very iffy at times in the red zone. I mean on the throw to Burress in the endzone yesterday, that ball was thrown way to hard, even if Plaxico had not been held. It's not the first time he's flinged it way over the receiver's head.

I think execution is the problem, not so much the coaching. If you are on the goaline and you have a guy 260 pounds running at the line, you need to get in. Frankly, Bradshaw would have hit that line harder. Jacobs seems to have problems getting momentum running straight up the middle. Ward does a better job IMO.

Secondly, Eli is very iffy at times in the red zone. I mean on the throw to Burress in the endzone yesterday, that ball was thrown way to hard, even if Plaxico had not been held. It's not the first time he's flinged it way over the receiver's head.

I think Eli is a little gun shy after last year (and the year before) getting picked off in the red zone. I think he is tentative and would rather throw an incomplete pass (like the one to Plax yesterday) then take even the slightest chance that it could get picked.

Eli shows very little emotion.....unless he gets picked off and he knows he should've eaten the ball or thrown it away. When he gets picked you can see he is absolutely disgusted with himself.

I think Eli is a little gun shy after last year (and the year before) getting picked off in the red zone. I think he is tentative and would rather throw an incomplete pass (like the one to Plax yesterday) then take even the slightest chance that it could get picked.

Eli shows very little emotion.....unless he gets picked off and he knows he should've eaten the ball or thrown it away. When he gets picked you can see he is absolutely disgusted with himself.

Can't agree on that Bleedin, that fade pass is the perfect scenario for Burress, hell even Toomer. yes Plax got held, but he would have never gotten it either way. Eli should have taken more off it.

The pass to Boss was more risky, if the defender is a step faster, that goes for a TD the other way.

Can't agree on that Bleedin, that fade pass is the perfect scenario for Burress, hell even Toomer. yes Plax got held, but he would have never gotten it either way. Eli should have taken more off it.

The pass to Boss was more risky, if the defender is a step faster, that goes for a TD the other way.

huh, boss was wide open?

I'm finally ready to admit that Gilbride's playcall recently has been awful. I had been defending him because the team was putting up TDs...but power running up the gut with Jacobs, then sending the slower, power back in Jacobs around the outside on the 1 yard line is bad play call. What I would have given for just one playaction pass inside the 10, too.

the giants went through this last year as well. scoring in the red one requires 2 things: deception and execution. by deception. i mean you either have to do the opposite of what the D thinks you're going to do or run a play with deception (play action, bootleg, etc. ).

The other thing is that as I've said before, Ward or Bradshaw (though his ball handling is questionable) are better goal line and short yardage options than the big guy. actually, a 2 back set would work well for deception.

They need to work on that fade to Burress - with his height, that play should be almost unstoppable

I HATE that play...at best I see it as a 50/50 chance to score...sure, it's one on one, our best WR against their best CB, but it just seems like plays like that pass to Boss is far more effective....looking for the open guy instead of just tossing it up.

But see, it virtually has to be a perfect pass...High and to the corner and it obviously can't be overthrown or underthrown...anything else and it's getting picked or batted away...there's no room for error...and Boss was wide open, dude...I just say look for the open receiver...in general, in the end zone.

We're first in the league in running offense, 8th in scoring offense.

We're averaging over 27 points/game.

Meanwhile Pittsburgh is #1 in total defense, 2nd in scoring defense. They average 15pts/game, and we scored 21.

While the execution might not have gone so well yesterday, you have to at least acknowledge that that was one hell of a defense we were up against.

What was it, 6 times in the red zone and we come away with only 19 pts? Would've been 7 trips in the red, but we were playing conservative on the 2nd to last drive. And IMO we were robbed a TD on the 2nd BJ effort. Yeah that's disappointing, but Pitt has a damn good defense. I was more frustrated from the Cinci game. Their defense sucks.

**We are 27th in red zone offense btw. 31 Possessions 13 TD's, 14 FG's.

We do have the number one red zone defense to counter thankfully.

I HATE that play...at best I see it as a 50/50 chance to score...sure, it's one on one, our best WR against their best CB, but it just seems like plays like that pass to Boss is far more effective....looking for the open guy instead of just tossing it up.

50/50? Damn let's run that every down in the red zone.