Virginia Giant

elipeyton.jpg

Could Eli Manning be better than his big bro? Yes

Easterbrook

By Gregg Easterbrook

Special to Page 2

(Archive)

Updated: October 7, 2008, 12:28 PM ET

Eli Manning has always been the kid brother. Peyton was a highly lauded No. 1 overall NFL draft choice when Eli was still in high school. When Eli in turn became a No. 1 overall draft choice, there was whispering about how he was only riding his older brother's coattails. Few football scouts -- including scouts for the San Diego Chargers, who drafted and then promptly traded away Eli -- thought he would match his brother's achievements. Eli has been booed in New York (which, for NFL purposes, is located in New Jersey); Peyton has never been booed in Indianapolis. New York sports radio hosts and callers once shrieked that the Chargers picked the Giants' pockets in that trade. In their joint commercials, Eli has always appeared deferential and inconsequential compared to Peyton. Two years ago at the Super Bowl in Miami, where Peyton's Colts would line up, TMQ saw Eli at a party. He looked miserable -- not just out of sorts, but miserable. Big brother was outshining him, as usual.

Well, ponder this: Eli Manning is now a better quarterback than Peyton Manning. At the current rate, his career achievements will at least match, and perhaps surpass, his big brother's.

Four games into his fifth season, Eli is 44-30 as a starter and has a Super Bowl ring. At the same point in his career, Peyton was 35-35 and had not won a postseason game. In terms of passing stats, the two players are approximately the same. In terms of leadership, Eli won the Super Bowl in his fourth season with a team whose personnel was so undistinguished, not one of the 16 sets of expert predictions ESPN.com ran before the 2007 season even had the Giants making the playoffs, let alone winning the Super Bowl. On Sunday, both Manning brothers recorded monster wins, and both played well. Eli achieved close to perfection -- he was 19-of-25 for 267 yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions. His perfect passing made who-dat backup receiver Domenik Hixon (see below) look like a star, and his leadership skills inspired the who-dat Giants offensive line -- quick, how many of them can you name without peeking? -- to play like the New England offensive line of 2007. Stretching back to last season, the Giants have won eight straight games, and this season's 127-49 scoring margin over their opponents is spectacular. If football stays popular for a thousand years, Eli's escape from four tacklers on that last-minute Super Bowl scoring drive will always be one of the sport's signature plays. Peyton is great, and a near-lock for Canton. Eli may be bound for the same place, with his bust in a slightly nicer corner.

espn.com

Geez, here we go. To ESPN, FOXsports, CBS Sports, SI, All sportsnews...Eli sucks, remember? Please keep it that way so we can continue winning championships. Thanks! :)

Both QBs are excellent when they're gettting good protection and performance from their recievers. It don't hurt to have good running backs either. no need for side by side comprison

Easterbrook is a jackass though, he can't mention the Giants without pointing out they play in Jersey.

As far as the comparison goes, it's the same comparisons we made early in Eli's career, but I don't thing anyone believes Eli is likely to throw 49 TD's in a year, as long as he has the running game, he'll never need to. I don't doubt his ability to do so, but there is a reason only 2 people have thrown 49 or more TD's.

You mean Jersey/A?

I can't stand Easterbrook.

Yep. Nevermind the Skins play in Landover, MD or countless other teams play in cities other than they represent. It shouldn't irritate me, but it does. Just seems like a shot at the Giants (and Jets) when it isn't needed.

Yep. Nevermind the Skins play in Landover, MD or countless other teams play in cities other than they represent. It shouldn't irritate me, but it does. Just seems like a shot at the Giants (and Jets) when it isn't needed.

The exact thing passes through my mind everytime I unintentionally find myself reading one of his pieces and come across Jersey/A or Jersey/B.

Why aren't the Pats called the Foxboro Pats?

The Nashville Titans?

The Irving Cowboys? Soon to be Arlington Cowboys?

Miami Gardens Dolphins?

I could go on but you get my point.

They're in the wrong fucking state. At least the Dolphins are in the right county.

So are the Skins. Heck they shouldn't even be in a state.

I wonder if Easterbrook would be happy if they were the Tri-State Giants.

You can't compare the Skins, they don't have an actual state to play in anyway. For all the money the Giants have now they have no business building their new stadium in New Jersey.

You can't compare the Skins, they don't have an actual state to play in anyway. For all the money the Giants have now they have no business building their new stadium in New Jersey.

Since when do you have access to the Giants books?

And if Easterbrook is going to be a technically accurate bitch yes I can compare the Skins. They have a district to play in anyway. Considering they are a more valuable franchise than the Giants they should have plenty of money to build in DC.

Yes you can, the fucking Verizon center is in down town DC, MD isn'yt even a classic DC suburb, the surrounding VA area is.

If classy is acres upon acres of swampland. Waterways clogged with sewage and industrial waste. Landfill upon landfill. And radio towers pumping out rock, rap, talk radio, etc......yeah it is classy.

Yeah, but I'm not getting the classy thing. I said MD isn't a classic DC burb, not classy DC burb.

Just where in New York would you build it?