SportsWrath

Amani Toomer

Lughead

What is an Amani Toomer Rookie card worth?

I can't remember what the name of it is, but there's a book that told the value of a lot of different types of cards and even broke it down to the condition of the card. I'll try to find out what it's called, but it's late and I'm getting ready to start Metal Gear Solid 4. It might take a while. :ph34r:

I can't remember what the name of it is, but there's a book that told the value of a lot of different types of cards and even broke it down to the condition of the card. I'll try to find out what it's called, but it's late and I'm getting ready to start Metal Gear Solid 4. It might take a while. :ph34r:

Beckett Football Card Monthly. They do all sports.

Been a long time since I have been hard core into collecting, so I havn't bought one in years.

Chances are it ain't worth much, a few bucks at best. Football cards never did as well as baseball, but even with the over producing of cards that started in the 90's, no cards really hold great value, unless they come out of the pack signed or something that is very rare, they ain't worth squat.

I got a signed Jim Kelly card years ago when he was still playing I think, and when it came out it was worth like 200 bucks, last I checked it was like 50.

I have an Arod rookie card and I doubt right now it's worth more that 20 to 30 dollars.

I have 2 cards I have no idea what they are worth. A skyboxx Favre card that you had to find an insert card to redeem for it, send it in the mazil and they send you a card. Then i have a Rangers Pudge Rodriguez card that i had to find the difference between stadiums in 2 pictures or something. Never seen any of them listed.

I have a signed Chipper Jones baseball and when I asked the guy at the Sports Memorabilia place how much he could get for it he told me prolly only 50 bucks...meaning I could maybe sell it to him for 25. I was like, wtf, lame.

We are all still suffering from the overproduction of everything even vaguely collectible back in the 90's. The most worthless things are sports cards and comic books published during this era. Too many people buying shit supposedly for the investment quality instead of did they actually enjoy reading the comic or if there were dedicated sports fans. I am surprised the collectibles bubble lasted as long as it did. I stopped collecting comics because of it.

Now I only buy a book from a long established character (i.e. Spiderman, Hulk, Thor, Avengers, Marvel Team Up, etc.) and the story has to grab me. Because I know that even when I reach my 70-80's the books won't be worth more than a little above face value. Consumers forgot the one law of collectibles....the more product out there the less its worth; the rarer it is and if there is a market for it; the more money you can get for it.

But Storm is right....unless you sell it on E-bay the retail collectors will give you 50% or less of what it is worth. Then they will try to scam you by having you trade it in for something even more worthless. LOL

We are all still suffering from the overproduction of everything even vaguely collectible back in the 90's. The most worthless things are sports cards and comic books published during this era. Too many people buying shit supposedly for the investment quality instead of did they actually enjoy reading the comic or if there were dedicated sports fans. I am surprised the collectibles bubble lasted as long as it did. I stopped collecting comics because of it.

Now I only buy a book from a long established character (i.e. Spiderman, Hulk, Thor, Avengers, Marvel Team Up, etc.) and the story has to grab me. Because I know that even when I reach my 70-80's the books won't be worth more than a little above face value. Consumers forgot the one law of collectibles....the more product out there the less its worth; the rarer it is and if there is a market for it; the more money you can get for it.

But Storm is right....unless you sell it on E-bay the retail collectors will give you 50% or less of what it is worth. Then they will try to scam you by having you trade it in for something even more worthless. LOL

Yah, definitely, or two things that might seem better but are equally as worthless :P

The guy was trying to tell me there was no way to prove my ball was really signed by Chipper because I only brought the ball with me, I was like dude, look I have the Certificate, it's definitely signed by Chipper Jones.

I collected cards for years, all sports, basketball, hockey, football and baseball. Everything, from minor league up. One day, I just flat out got fed up collecting and stopped, they were of no interest to me at all. So I put everything into shoeboxes and starting selling them. All my football cards into one box, I sold them at $15 box on craigslist. The only thing I did do was take out all the ones I thought might be worth something, for example, I had 30 different Don Mattingly cards, so I sold them as a lot on e-bay and got maybe $5 for the lot. The best deal I got was 10 different Barry Sanders cards sold for $10. but when you consider the money I could have kept in my pocket, it's sickening, we're talking probably well over $1000.00. It's definitely not worth it and these collector stores are just crooks.

Funny story about e-bay. I once got a Mark Parrish bobblehead at an Islanders game. I didn't want it so I listed it on e-bay. The buyer ended up being Mark Parrish's dad up in Minnesota. Where the story goes wrong is that when the package arrived, the head had broken off it. However he was very cool about it.

I collected cards for years, all sports, basketball, hockey, football and baseball. Everything, from minor league up. One day, I just flat out got fed up collecting and stopped, they were of no interest to me at all. So I put everything into shoeboxes and starting selling them. All my football cards into one box, I sold them at $15 box on craigslist. The only thing I did do was take out all the ones I thought might be worth something, for example, I had 30 different Don Mattingly cards, so I sold them as a lot on e-bay and got maybe $5 for the lot. The best deal I got was 10 different Barry Sanders cards sold for $10. but when you consider the money I could have kept in my pocket, it's sickening, we're talking probably well over $1000.00. It's definitely not worth it and these collector stores are just crooks.

Funny story about e-bay. I once got a Mark Parrish bobblehead at an Islanders game. I didn't want it so I listed it on e-bay. The buyer ended up being Mark Parrish's dad up in Minnesota. Where the story goes wrong is that when the package arrived, the head had broken off it. However he was very cool about it.

Yeah I empathize with you Boohyah...just thinking of the probably 2-3 g's I blew on comics (I was a serious collector) where 3 years later I could not even give away some of my silver/gold/platinum foil editions with character holograms up the ass...lol. You live and learn. Though on a small scale it really taught (or should have taught) a lot people about the vagaries of bubble economics.

Back when I was big into collecting baseball cards, I would get 2 dollars a day for school lunch from my mom. I would skip lunch and walk to the store after school and buy a pack of baseball cards. Topps, Bowman, Upper Deck, all of em. 2 bucks wouldn't touch a pack now, last I looked they were all at least 4 dollars, and lots of em much more.

The industry is slowly killing itself, over priced, over produced, too many "insert sets" and stupid shit. I bought a price guide a few years ago just to check on some of my older cards and there were so many sub sets in each card company that it was almost too confusing to decifer.

I have a signed Chipper Jones baseball and when I asked the guy at the Sports Memorabilia place how much he could get for it he told me prolly only 50 bucks...meaning I could maybe sell it to him for 25. I was like, wtf, lame.

Burn it. NOW! :furious:

Hmmm, how funny. We're talking about baseball cards, and I was going thru some old stuff, and I ran across one. I didnt even know I had it. I wonder how much its worth. It looks too old to be worth anything, and one of the letters of the name is kinda wore off. I think its a guy named Rush. And he's got a very unique 1st name, Babe. Yeah, I think he's some guy named Babe Rush. Whoever that guy was. And he even played for the Yankees, and I still have never heard of him.

I think I'll just throw it away.