SportsWrath

Losing Kavika Mitchell

eagleEye

I think Kawika was good- but possibly starting to lose a step. rather have a guy coming up then an expensive guy on decline.

Agreed, and we were all down on Mitchell when we found out he was a Giant. He just benefited from a great Defense and a superior DC. Not bagging on Kawika, I appreciate everything he brought this SB season, he was a big help. But like you say blu, on the decline. Wilkinson has a tremendous upside, and is young.

I hate to sound arrogant now that we are the champs and Spags is the hottest DC in the league, Cause i bag on the Pats all the time for being arrogant enough they think that everybody is replaceable, But it is all about the scheme i think Clark and Wilkinson are gonna do fine, Clark can play i just don't think any team gave him enough of a chance, Wilkinson was supposed to start last year, but they were impressed with Mitchell and didn't think Wilkinson was ready. Clark is better in coverage then Kiwi, and Wilkinson is much faster then Mitchell. Our linebackers should be fine.

I hate to sound arrogant now that we are the champs and Spags is the hottest DC in the league, Cause i bag on the Pats all the time for being arrogant enough they think that everybody is replaceable, But it is all about the scheme i think Clark and Wilkinson are gonna do fine, Clark can play i just don't think any team gave him enough of a chance, Wilkinson was supposed to start last year, but they were impressed with Mitchell and didn't think Wilkinson was ready. Clark is better in coverage then Kiwi, and Wilkinson is much faster then Mitchell. Our linebackers should be fine.

Every time I remember we are getting Kiwi back, I just smile..................

Boyz, Im gonna say it right here and now......watch out now...somebody stop me...........here we go.........

WE WILL REPEAT AS CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

Mitchel was a great signing at the price last year. He played hard, made a nice contribution to the D and I am happy that he was able to get the contract he got away. We would have made a mistake to pay up to keep him though. We run a LB friendly scheme and it has to be great to play behind our d-line. I think we will be fine with the young guys we have.

also remember that we got Diehl and Tuck taken care of for 6 and 5 years respectively. both of those players are way more important. Reese has been impresive so far.

Mitchel was a great signing at the price last year. He played hard, made a nice contribution to the D and I am happy that he was able to get the contract he got away. We would have made a mistake to pay up to keep him though. We run a LB friendly scheme and it has to be great to play behind our d-line. I think we will be fine with the young guys we have.

also remember that we got Diehl and Tuck taken care of for 6 and 5 years respectively. both of those players are way more important. Reese has been impresive so far.

Best argument Ive heard. Good post :TU: .

Is anyone besides me worried Wilkinson will not be ready or able to replace him? i know he had a good game against the pats, and he's a good ST's player. But I dont know if he's gonna be able to fill KM shoes.

I'm not worried. Kavika wasn't all that great. He had a couple of good games then commanded a huge salary. Good luck to him in Buffalo. I think Wilk will do just fine.

Every time I remember we are getting Kiwi back, I just smile..................

Boyz, Im gonna say it right here and now......watch out now...somebody stop me...........here we go.........

WE WILL REPEAT AS CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

I'm grown enough to curb my enthusiasm. Yes I hope we repeat but it will be awfully difficult.

I thought Wilkinson was going to compete for the job but got hurt in training camp.

All I know is that he looked darn good filling in for Mitchell towards the end of last season. I'll bet we don't miss a beat.

I thought Wilkinson was going to compete for the job but got hurt in training camp.

All I know is that he looked darn good filling in for Mitchell towards the end of last season. I'll bet we don't miss a beat.

I was very, very impressed with Wilkinson's play last year. However, lets not lose sight of the fact that he hasn't played a full season yet. I feel if Wilkinson does end up starting, by week 12, we might see him hit a wall when it come to his performance.

I'm grown enough to curb my enthusiasm. Yes I hope we repeat but it will be awfully difficult.

Yeah, I was kinda jokin around. I hope we do, think we got a great shot to do it, but I was just being silly. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was kinda jokin around. I hope we do, think we got a great shot to do it, but I was just being silly. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure we have a great shot. Last year we got hot when it mattered. All it takes is a bounce or two in the wrong direction and our season goes to shit... As long as we're competing, I'm happy.

I was very, very impressed with Wilkinson's play last year. However, lets not lose sight of the fact that he hasn't played a full season yet. I feel if Wilkinson does end up starting, by week 12, we might see him hit a wall when it come to his performance.

What makes you say that? Poor conditioning? Just never having played a full season?

As far as Kawika goes, he really picked up his production at the end of the season. But like someone else said the strength of this team is its front 4 and the pressure they get on the QB. I think the biggest thing the team lost with Strahan was not his pass rushing but his ability to hold up against the run as well. Tuck I would imagine shouldn't have a problem but I am sure there will be a learning curve as teams try and get past him.

The only plays that Kawika made that stick out and I remember are the stop down in Washington that rallied the team after two losses and giving up 80 points, which was big and I won't say that another LB is guaranteed to make that stop, and the other play is the sack of Brady in the Super Bowl. But on that play any LB who fakes dropping into coverage would have had a free shot at Brady.

I'm not sure we have a great shot. Last year we got hot when it mattered. All it takes is a bounce or two in the wrong direction and our season goes to shit... As long as we're competing, I'm happy.

The fact that we're young, upgraded via the draft at key positions that were of need and we can get hot when it matters, not only the team, but Eli esp. tells me we have a great shot.

I don't know about upgraded at key positions.

Kenny Phillips, who we are assuming is Wilsons replacement, hasn't played a down of NFL football. For all we know he could be a bust.

While Tuck is a good if not great replacement for Strahan, that still leaves the 4 aces package minus one ace. And as I said before we don't know how well Tuck will hold up against the run.

This entire topic covers the loss of Kawika.

And is Shockey is traded we don't know how Boss will hold up over a whole season. And while we all gooed and gahhed over his great and more importantly clutch catch and runs, his production was not the same as Shockey.

Kenny Phillips, who we are assuming is Wilsons replacement, hasn't played a down of NFL football. For all we know he could be a bust.

While Tuck is a good if not great replacement for Strahan, that still leaves the 4 aces package minus one ace. And as I said before we don't know how well Tuck will hold up against the run.

This entire topic covers the loss of Kawika.

And is Shockey is traded we don't know how Boss will hold up over a whole season. And while we all gooed and gahhed over his great and more importantly clutch catch and runs, his production was not the same as Shockey.

OK, let me rephrase. We addressed certain positions of need. We are still pretty much the same team, with some additions that should be helpful. As for the topic at hand, I could see Danny Clark and Mitchell being a wash. Both are not elite LB's, but good solid vets. And with Wilkinson as young and promising as he looks, if he pans out, we are in great shape. But, I know, thats a big "if".

Agreed, and we were all down on Mitchell when we found out he was a Giant. He just benefited from a great Defense and a superior DC. Not bagging on Kawika, I appreciate everything he brought this SB season, he was a big help. But like you say blu, on the decline. Wilkinson has a tremendous upside, and is young.

Actually I remember being excited that we got the Chief's best defensive player for an absolute steal and he didn't disappoint. He was the best tackler on the team and that's a dying art in the NFL.

Actually I remember being excited that we got the Chief's best defensive player for an absolute steal and he didn't disappoint. He was the best tackler on the team and that's a dying art in the NFL.

I too thought he'd be a decent addition, but didnt know how good he'd turn out in our scheme. I was pleasantly surprised. But I remember alot on here not liking it.

I trust Coach Spagnuolo. I think we will be fine, but I will not say Wilkinson we be as good as the savvy vet Kavicka Mitchell. I do think we have a potentially better defense next year regardless, with our good draft picks and with Kiwi's return. I think Kiwi plays DE on passing down's this year, with Tuck continuing to move inside, and he completes the 4 aces package, and perhaps Clark takes the field in that linebacker spot in that scenario. If not, it will be Tollefson more than likely in the 4 aces package. I'm excited. Teams better watch out this season, this team is going to kill quarterbacks. Tuck and Osi on the ends.... SCARY. And if you focus your attention on stopping those two... here comes Kiwi! Or Cofield! Or a corner blitz! This team has just too much depth and talent. We just HAVE to avoid catastrophic injuries and we'll be one of the great defenses in recent memory.

The only plays that Kawika made that stick out and I remember are the stop down in Washington that rallied the team after two losses and giving up 80 points, which was big and I won't say that another LB is guaranteed to make that stop, and the other play is the sack of Brady in the Super Bowl. But on that play any LB who fakes dropping into coverage would have had a free shot at Brady.

The one that sticks out for me the most is the pick-6 vs. the Bills that sealed our playoff berth. Man, that was clutch.

Didn't we sign that guy from Jax as an insurance plan? He's as good as Wilson.

Strahan will be missed. No doubt about that. However we can always take solace is that Tuck is younger and while strahan was getting old.

and is Shockey is traded we don't know how Boss will hold up over a whole season. And while we all gooed and gahhed over his great and more importantly clutch catch and runs, his production was not the same as Shockey.

Well if we do trade shocky which is very unlikely, we'll get something in return.. players.. picks or a combination. I do think Shockey will remain a Giant and will have a breakout season.

Didn't we sign that guy from Jax as an insurance plan? He's as good as Wilson.

Strahan will be missed. No doubt about that. However we can always take solace is that Tuck is younger and while strahan was getting old.

You kind of contradicted yourself. The guy we signed is getting old. Wilson is kind of young. And you missed my main point about Strahan in that we are missing the 4th Ace now.

What makes you say that? Poor conditioning? Just never having played a full season?

Well, normally it takes a season or two for LB or RB to get use too playing every down, for a full 16 plus season. We see it with rookies all the time.

Kawika made alot of plays for us last year. The TD fumble recover was big for us...