SportsWrath

the New Jersey Giants

Lughead

Jersey claims Giants as its own champions

May 23, 2008 The Super Bowl champion New Jersey Giants?

That name can't be found in the NFL standings, but it was nevertheless proclaimed yesterday by New Jersey senators honoring this year's Super Bowl champions.

"Whether you're a football fan or not, I'm sure you found yourself caught up in the hype this past winter with the success of the New Jersey Giants," said Sen. Paul Sarlo, a Democrat. "I emphasize the New Jersey Giants."

Sarlo's district includes Giants Stadium, where the Giants have played since 1976 while retaining their New York moniker. But though the Giants tell the world they're from New York, Garden State senators say the team's come-from-behind attitude represents more of a Jersey mentality.

Sarlo said they resemble "gutsy New Jerseyans."

The Giants beat the New England Patriots, 17-14, in the Super Bowl, ending New England's hopes for an undefeated season.

The New Jersey Senate presented a ceremonial resolution to coach Tom Coughlin, who in turn gave Sarlo and Senate President Richard J. Codey new Giants helmets.

link

I've met this guy before when he spoke to one of my classes. He was a good speaker, but

he kept checking his cell phone for the time...totally not cool.

I will be writing an email to my teacher and I'm sure he will bring it up.

BTW, this guy is a Jets fan.

Is there that much of an inferiority complex with people from Jersey about this?

If they wanted to be known as the Jersey Giants, tell Fox/CBS/ESPN to stop showing

snap shots of the Manhattan skyline and start taking snapshots of the non existent Newark

skyline.

Is there that much of an inferiority complex with people from Jersey about this?

If they wanted to be known as the Jersey Giants, tell Fox/CBS/ESPN to stop showing

snap shots of the Manhattan skyline and start taking snapshots of the non existent Newark

skyline.

They should focus on the swamps in Jersey. :TU:

don't the people in Jersey realize yet that if they put the name "New Jersey" in front of any teams name that they are not going to draw. The Nets fill half a stadium, if they move to Brooklyn they will sell out. The Devils have a hard time filling the stadium unless it's a playoff game.

Even the stupid Red Bulls have NY in front of the name, and that team could disappear tomorrow and no-one would care, but if they were solely know as NJ Red Bulls, they'd have been gone long ago.

New Jersey Jets, let them keep them.

I don't know.. but doesn't NFL naming convention calls for the team's name preceeded by the CITY they're from.. i.e. Miami Dolphins... Athlanta Falcons... (i think NE is the only exception)..

Having said that.. shouldn't the senator have said "The East Rutherford Giants"?... another argument.. the Dallas Cowboys don't exactly plan in Dallas, right?

Nevertheless... this is stupid.

I don't know.. but doesn't NFL naming convention calls for the team's name preceeded by the CITY they're from.. i.e. Miami Dolphins... Athlanta Falcons... (i think NE is the only exception)..

Having said that.. shouldn't the senator have said "The East Rutherford Giants"?... another argument.. the Dallas Cowboys don't exactly plan in Dallas, right?

The Bills don't play in Bufallo...they play in Orchard Park, NY.

The Redskins don't even play in Washington D.C...they play in Landover, Maryland.

Yes the Cowboys don't play in Dallas...they play in Irving, Texas. And I believe their new stadium

is in Fort Worth.

The Bills don't play in Bufallo...they play in Orchard Park, NY.

The Redskins don't even play in Washington D.C...they play in Landover, Maryland.

Yes the Cowboys don't play in Dallas...they play in Irving, Texas. And I believe their new stadium

is in Fort Worth.

You solidified my point. :TU:

Arizona Cardinals... but I think they're the only one.

And yeah, who the fuck cares. The Giants are a tri-state team... might as well name 'em after the biggest city in the area, even if they don't play in it.

But you also have to get retarded assholes like Ed Koch to agree to ticker tape parades when they win the Super Bowl... he wouldn't allow it in '85, saying the Giants were a "foreign" team. Fuck you, Ed Koch. :TD:

Arizona Cardinals... but I think they're the only one.

And yeah, who the fuck cares. The Giants are a tri-state team... might as well name 'em after the biggest city in the area, even if they don't play in it.

But you also have to get retarded assholes like Ed Koch to agree to ticker tape parades when they win the Super Bowl... he wouldn't allow it in '85, saying the Giants were a "foreign" team. Fuck you, Ed Koch. :TD:

Ed Koch couldn't differentiate Jerry Rice from a bowl of Rice a Roni.

Can I ask why this is an issue to NYers? The Giants will forever be known as the New York Football Giants and that's all that should matter. I'm from Jersey, lived here my whole life and know how much of a trash heap it is... for the most part. There's no way in hell that OUR NYG would ever become the New Jersey Giants. And never would I (or Mara and Tisch) want it to be that way.

Can I ask why this is an issue to NYers? The Giants will forever be known as the New York Football Giants and that's all that should matter. I'm from Jersey, lived here my whole life and know how much of a trash heap it is... for the most part. There's no way in hell that OUR NYG would ever become the New Jersey Giants. And never would I (or Mara and Tisch) want it to be that way.

It's not...at all.

So why even respond to the garbage? Let the loser say whatever he wants. It has no bearing on the team or the owners at all. Not saying you personally, but I've seen NYers almost push themselves to the point of heart attack status when the name "New Jersey Giants" is even implied. Just blow it off as someone being a retard.

So why even respond to the garbage? Let the loser say whatever he wants.

:unsure: jeesh sorry

:rolleyes:

If teams were only named after the area they played in it would sound pretty bad. Landover Redskns, Irving Cowboys, Boston Patriots among some horrid others

THE Foxborough Patriots V.S. THE East Rutherford GIANTS in Superbowl 42

That just sounds crappy

Dude, Im live in Jersey and consider them a New Jersey Team. People from Jersey are as die har, if not even more that NY fans. Point proven in the SNY Daily News Show. When they gon "On te street" to ask people about the Gianst 1 out of 5 will have a halfway decent thing to say.

Dude, Im live in Jersey and consider them a New Jersey Team. People from Jersey are as die har, if not even more that NY fans. Point proven in the SNY Daily News Show. When they gon "On te street" to ask people about the Gianst 1 out of 5 will have a halfway decent thing to say.

New York is and always will be a baseball town.

:unsure: jeesh sorry

:rolleyes:

THE Foxborough Patriots V.S. THE East Rutherford GIANTS in Superbowl 42

That just sounds crappy

Wasn't directed at you personally Lug. I just wonder why a lot of NYers turn red in the face whenever Giants and New Jersey are anywhere near each other in a sentence.

Oh and that Super Bowl example was horrid and I'm going to have nightmares.