SportsWrath

Post your Gmen draft hopefuls

mastershake

BTW shake....we have (3) 6th round picks this year - no 7th

My mock - of course this is assuming the players are still available.

My dream draft would be (with secondary picks if player already gone)

Rd 1: S - Tyrell Johnson (Arkansas State) / backup picks - LB Jerod Mayo(Tennessee) or S Kenny Phillips (Miami)

Rd 2: WR - Malcolm Kelly (Oklahoma) / backup picks - CB Tracy Porter (Indiana) or CB Antoine Cason (Arizona)

Rd 3: OG - Jeremy Zuttah (Rutgers) / backup pick - DT Red Bryant (Texas A&M)

Rd 4: LB - Wesley Woodyard (Kentucky) / backup pick - TE John Carlson (Notre Dame)

Rd 5: TE - John Carlson (Notre Dame) / backup pick - TE Kellen Davis (Michigan State)

Rd 6: K - Piotr Czech (Wagner)

Rd 6: Project - WR, OT, blocking type TE

Rd 6: DT (developing rushing type) or some small school gem no one knows about except hardcore scouts

BTW shake....we have (3) 6th round picks this year - no 7th

My mock - of course this is assuming the players are still available.

My dream draft would be (with secondary picks if player already gone)

Rd 1: S - Tyrell Johnson (Arkansas State) / backup picks - LB Jerod Mayo(Tennessee) or S Kenny Phillips (Miami)

Rd 2: WR - Malcolm Kelly (Oklahoma) / backup picks - CB Tracy Porter (Indiana) or CB Antoine Cason (Arizona)

Rd 3: OG - Jeremy Zuttah (Rutgers) / backup pick - DT Red Bryant (Texas A&M)

Rd 4: LB - Wesley Woodyard (Kentucky)

Rd 5: TE - Kellen Davis (Michigan State)

Rd 6: K - Piotr Czech (Wagner)

Rd 6: Project - WR, OT, blocking type TE

Rd 6: DT (developing rushing type) or some small school gem no one knows about except hardcore scouts

Johnson over Phillips? I think Phillips is going off the board first.

Johnson over Phillips? I think Phillips is going off the board first.

Unfortunately, we have to rely on the same magazines and scouting reports from the media that Mel Kiper uses. We don't get to know all the inside information that the Giants scouts are using. And as we all know from past experience, the Giants scouts don't use media hyped scouting reports. So I peruse through the net to find all the information I can and I came across this little ditty:

"
Tyrell Johnson Compared to Kenny Phillips
:The career of Kenny Phillips (6′2 212lbs) started off with a bang at Miami, but over the last two seasons he has not improved on the field and has been very inconsistent. Meanwhile Tyrell Johnson (6′ 207lbs) was voted the Defensive Player of the Year in the Sun Belt Conference. At the combine Tyrell Johnson ran a 4.43 40 yard dash. He also completed 27 reps of 225lbs on the bench press and landed a broad jump of 10′7 the best of any safety in both categories. Meanwhile Kenny Phillips ran a 4.54 40 yard dash and completed19 reps of 225lbs on the bench. Combine numbers do not tell the entire story though, what really matters to me is on field production. Tyrell Johnson recorded 94 tackles this past season, intercepted six passes and forced two fumbles. If you watch Johnson on tape, he seems to be involved in every single play and delivers huge hits to the ball carrier. Kenny Phillips had 82 tackles last season, with two interceptions, and forced three fumbles last season. When you watch the two on tape, it is clear that Johnson is much more physical of a player than Phillips is. Johnson delivers a blow to receivers and ball carriers, while Phillips seems to wrap up and hang on. Johnson also looks better in coverage and makes great reads, while Phillips is knocked for falling for fakes and taking false steps. I think that Johnson will be one of the steals of this draft and within two years of NFL experience, will be an annual pro bowler".

Of course, this is one man's opinion, but it makes perfect sense. Also, even the talking heads are saying that Johnson is moving up the charts so fast that he could be taken in the first 15 rounds and is likely to be taken ahead of Phillips. Of course - again - this is all speculation

Have to admit I'm higher on Tyrell Johnson at this point than Kenny Phillips. Now I'm not so sure I'd want to take him with the first pick if Quentin Groves is available at 31. Both players came in for interviews with the Giants over the last two weeks but that doesn't mean much considering Aaron Ross never did.

Unfortunately, we have to rely on the same magazines and scouting reports from the media that Mel Kiper uses. We don't get to know all the inside information that the Giants scouts are using. And as we all know from past experience, the Giants scouts don't use media hyped scouting reports. So I peruse through the net to find all the information I can and I came across this little ditty:

"
Tyrell Johnson Compared to Kenny Phillips
:The career of Kenny Phillips (6′2 212lbs) started off with a bang at Miami, but over the last two seasons he has not improved on the field and has been very inconsistent. Meanwhile Tyrell Johnson (6′ 207lbs) was voted the Defensive Player of the Year in the Sun Belt Conference. At the combine Tyrell Johnson ran a 4.43 40 yard dash. He also completed 27 reps of 225lbs on the bench press and landed a broad jump of 10′7 the best of any safety in both categories. Meanwhile Kenny Phillips ran a 4.54 40 yard dash and completed19 reps of 225lbs on the bench. Combine numbers do not tell the entire story though, what really matters to me is on field production. Tyrell Johnson recorded 94 tackles this past season, intercepted six passes and forced two fumbles. If you watch Johnson on tape, he seems to be involved in every single play and delivers huge hits to the ball carrier. Kenny Phillips had 82 tackles last season, with two interceptions, and forced three fumbles last season. When you watch the two on tape, it is clear that Johnson is much more physical of a player than Phillips is. Johnson delivers a blow to receivers and ball carriers, while Phillips seems to wrap up and hang on. Johnson also looks better in coverage and makes great reads, while Phillips is knocked for falling for fakes and taking false steps. I think that Johnson will be one of the steals of this draft and within two years of NFL experience, will be an annual pro bowler".

Of course, this is one man's opinion, but it makes perfect sense. Also, even the talking heads are saying that Johnson is moving up the charts so fast that he could be taken in the first 15 rounds and is likely to be taken ahead of Phillips. Of course - again - this is all speculation

Have to admit I'm higher on Tyrell Johnson at this point than Kenny Phillips. Now I'm not so sure I'd want to take him with the first pick if Quentin Groves is available at 31. Both players came in for interviews with the Giants over the last two weeks but that doesn't mean much considering Aaron Ross never did.

I have a gut feeling that Tyrell Johnson will be the first safety off the board and likely to be gone before the Giants pick. I also have a gut feeling that Phillips will still be available for the Giants.

Quentin Groves would be ideal backing up our D-line. But if Jerod Mayo is still on the board (doubtful), I'd prefer Mayo.

It will be interesting this Saturday. Can't hardly stand the wait!

One thing I've learned watching the draft for the past decade or so.....and that is almost nothing happens the way people think it should. QB's who are likely to be the very first pick of the draft fall to the 2nd round - LB's guaranteed to be a 1st round pick don't get picked until the 4th or 5th, etc.

It's always a surprise.

I'd move Groves out to OLB instead of keeping him on the line.

I have a gut feeling that Tyrell Johnson will be the first safety off the board and likely to be gone before the Giants pick. I also have a gut feeling that Phillips will still be available for the Giants.

Quentin Groves would be ideal backing up our D-line. But if Jerod Mayo is still on the board (doubtful), I'd prefer Mayo.

It will be interesting this Saturday. Can't hardly stand the wait!

One thing I've learned watching the draft for the past decade or so.....and that is almost nothing happens the way people think it should. QB's who are likely to be the very first pick of the draft fall to the 2nd round - LB's guaranteed to be a 1st round pick don't get picked until the 4th or 5th, etc.

It's always a surprise.

I'd move Groves out to OLB instead of keeping him on the line.

Actually, that's what I meant when I said "backing up the D-line". I wouldn't use him on the actual line as he's an ideal linebacker.

Likewise, Mayo is a linebacker who I believe will be the first LB taken and probably be off the board by the time the Giants pick.

I hope we draft another DE for depth purposes.

Seriously though I like this Tyrell Johnson. If he has the same amount of talent as another safety from Arizona State Pat Tillman had heart and guts, then we'll be fine.

Don't ask me about the rest of the draft as it's way too much detail, but if a guy like Connor slips, like he might, then I'd take a flier on him.

Oh and whoever said pick a kicker in the 6th, I wouldn't even waste a 7th right now. Punter maybe, but not kicker.

Some of these draft reports are funny. I'll go to espn, and they say a guy is "Marginally Instinctive..." then to CNNSI and it will say "Has a good head for the game" or "Aware of what's going on on the field" for that same player.

One common theme of this draft is that there are a lot of question marks, boom/bust type prospects falling out of the middle-late first round, and even further. Thats why I feel Malcom Kelly will get elevated, I think he's a solid pick (like WR Dwayne Bowe of LSU) last year.

On that same theme of the prospects falling out, I also agree with Bleedin that Johnsons stock has risen because of that. I keep seeing some of these cites, CNNSI, where the prospects "rating" changes occasionally. So it's tough to know what to believe outside the top 15 picks.

Really not that good of a year for the draft, and I think some of the middle-first round -second round predictions from all these sites will look different than what occurs on saturday.

I hope we draft another DE for depth purposes.

Seriously though I like this Tyrell Johnson. If he has the same amount of talent as another safety from Arizona State Pat Tillman had heart and guts, then we'll be fine.

Don't ask me about the rest of the draft as it's way too much detail, but if a guy like Connor slips, like he might, then I'd take a flier on him.

Oh and whoever said pick a kicker in the 6th, I wouldn't even waste a 7th right now. Punter maybe, but not kicker.

Tyrell Johnson goes to Arkansas State.

Hey.....that'd be me! :brooding:

I posted an article on Piotr Czech about a month ago. The Giants brought him in to test his leg. He kicks the ball further than any kicker around right now and last year nailed 4 field goals over 50 yards including an N.E.C. record 56 yarder.

He's an ex-soccer player from Poland who is still learning the trade. By the time he matures, he'll be kicking a 60 yarder in the NFL and routinely hit 50 yarders. But he's green which means he needs a couple years of maturing for the game.

When the Giants met with him a couple of weeks ago, he hit 4 field goals in a row in Giants stadium from over 50 yards....while the winds of Giants stadium were high.

He was flying under the radar, but most teams are now aware of him even though hardly any scouting source even lists him as a potential draft pick. Here's an article from last October on the kid: Piotr Czech - NY Times - Oct 07

I think he's worth a 6th rounder and worthy of grooming for the future

What do you know about Kelly that the rest of us don't? :confused:

Beside the fact that he's probably the slowest WR to ever run the 40. I mean, I've seen Guards run a faster 40 time than him. We don't need another big target WR... We already have that with Plax and Toomer... We need a true burner. Especially now since we are trying to trade Shockey.

I wouldn't draft Malcolm Kelly with the last pick of the 7th round if he was available.

Nem, I can understand your concern with the 40 time 4.64 I think his was... but here's a few guys who also had that same time or worse. WR Anquan Boldin 4.7, WR Larry Fitzgerald, and WR Marques Colsten - Colsten who literally was taken at the end of the 7th round, haha. They're all elite recievers.

In terms of Burress and Toomer. Toomer is getting old. Burress is good but past his prime at age 31.... we have the speed/quickness guys in Smith and Moss (Moss is underachieving). Adding a threatening target like 6'4 225 Kelly would give opposing defenses nightmares.

Imagine having Burress, Shockey, Toomer, Smith and Kelly all line up at once... terrifying. And let's face it, if there's one thing Eli needs more of, it is tall WR targets, haha.

My Mock:

1.Quentin Groves DE Auburn(an upgrade over Torbor and Mitchell could be unstoppable freed up in our D)

2.Tyrell Johnson S Ark St (small school product but played all over the place against Texas and Tennesee)

3.Jordy Nelson WR K ST(you tube him right now, insane is all i have to say, Wes Welker times ten)

4.Terrell Thomas CB USC (fits perfectly in our press coverage)

5.Tim Hightower RB Richmond (we have Jacobs,Ward,Bradshaw but Hightower could an a steal this late a very interesting prospect)

6.Mike Dragosovich P ND St (maybe Feagles understudy until he hangs em up)

7.King Dunlap OT Auburn (cool name and he looks like the freaking great khali provide backup o-line help)

Beside the fact that he's probably the slowest WR to ever run the 40. I mean, I've seen Guards run a faster 40 time than him. We don't need another big target WR... We already have that with Plax and Toomer... We need a true burner. Especially now since we are trying to trade Shockey.

Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 in the 40 yard dash.

Of course you will totally discount what I just wrote and believe what

you want to believe. Sometimes things are true, even if you don't believe

them.

Not to discount the 40.... there obviously is a correlation between success and a WR's 40 time, however, we've seen that there are plenty of Receivers with average 40 times who have made huge impacts in the NFL. Kelly, like Boldin, Colsten has the combination of skill and size to succeed imo.

Not to discount the 40.... there obviously is a correlation between success and a WR's 40 time, however, we've seen that there are plenty of Receivers with average 40 times who have made huge impacts in the NFL. Kelly, like Boldin, Colsten has the combination of skill and size to succeed imo.

The 40 yard dash is easily the most overrated thing in the NFL.