SportsWrath

Post your Gmen draft hopefuls

mastershake

40 time is way overrated, as are a lot of the drills from the combine. Guys train for the combine for months.

Anyways if anyone hasn't seen em here are some vids of Tyrell Johnson from youtube. The more I see from this guy the more I like us taking him. I read today that he has recently met with the Giants and while that doesn't mean alot it's atleast encouraging.

This is a guy from Maryland, Christain Varner. He's not really projected to go too high but he may be worth a shot with one of our three 6th round picks. He kinda reminds me of a Brian Dawkins

If we come away from this draft with Tyrell Johnson, Antoine Cason, Jeremy Zuttah, and Red Bryant - I will be so friggin happy I'll wet my pants. I am enamored with those 4 guys and believe we can get them from our draft position. Even if we only get a couple of them I'll be too excited to sleep for a couple of nights. Of course we need a couple of sleeper picks for WR and LB.

If we take any receivers they better be taller than 6'. We are stocked in short guys but only have one tall one.

A good article earlier this week in the Daily News talked about the top ten drafted players and the percentage of busts, average, pro-bowlers, etc., over the past 10 years. (Hence, one of the reasons the teams are pushing for rookie caps in salary)

Here's the numbers:

And remember, the stats are only on players who were drafted in spots 1 - 10 in the first round.

- out of the league altoether in less than 3 years................ 14%

- journeymen (average or backup players)......................... 18%

- Regular starters (but not pro-bowlers).............................. 43%

- pro bowlers................................................................ 21%

Of that group, no position has a greater number of busts and disappointments than Wide Recievers.....and it's usually "tall", "speedy" recievers that go in the first 10 picks.

Not that we shouldn't try to get a tall reciever, but still it's a crapshoot at best.

The measureable that can't be accurately measured is "heart". Like it or not, the Giants probably had less talent than the Cowboys, Packers, and Pats....yet they won because of "heart".

Another important measureable is "character", which can be measured somewhat. Some team managers target players who were "captains" on their college team and are especially enamored with players who were two-year captains. It shows they have leadership in the lockerroom.

Bottom line: I'm leary of taking a WR early. There are probably some good projects out there (who are taller than 6') who have the heart and character to become a real steal as they develop. Hopefully, we can find one of those hidden gems. And with Toomer getting older, Moss still underacheiving, and Tyree out with knee surgery right now, another WR is very important.

After watching some of the videos here and on nfl, I like what i'm seeing of him. Sub Belt is an underrated conference in terms of producing talented players (see Osi, Demarcus Ware) etc.

That first play in the first vid Taylorized posted, the punt, was real nice. Stayed in the play and saved what would have been a big return and put a nice hit on the guy.

Def.

Funny thing is my buddy at work, a giant fan, we're joking around about players names... how if the players name either 1- Sounds like an Athletes name. or 2 - Is spelled strangely or is uncommon - then they will probably be do well in the NFL. Examples were Aaron Ross, James Butler, we think it sounds like an Atheletes/Players name, and 2- Osi Umenyoria, Mathias Kiwanuka - strange, uncommon.

Guys like Tyrell or Malcom both sound like players names to me, looks like we're headed to success with either one! We should just start drafting based on how the name sounds.

Def.

Funny thing is my buddy at work, a giant fan, we're joking around about players names... how if the players name either 1- Sounds like an Athletes name. or 2 - Is spelled strangely or is uncommon - then they will probably be do well in the NFL. Examples were Aaron Ross, James Butler, we think it sounds like an Atheletes/Players name, and 2- Osi Umenyoria, Mathias Kiwanuka - strange, uncommon.

Guys like Tyrell or Malcom both sound like players names to me, looks like we're headed to success with either one! We should just start drafting based on how the name sounds.

It does seem that Giants execs like guys with strange names. In fact, I usually spend the first week after a draft learning how to pronounce Umenyura, Kiwanuka or Visanthe, etc. Last year wasn't so bad. Anyway, given that scenario, here's a potential mock (picked for "names" sake) for this weekend:

OT - Gosder Cherilus

WR - De’Cody Fagg

LB - Xavier Adibi

CB - Jack Ikegwuono

DT - Ogemdi Nwagbuo (Try saying that one 3 times fast)

FS - Husain Abdullah

SS - Haroki Nakamura

DE - Kenny Iwebema

FB/RB - Jehuu Caulcrick

I wouldn't mind having Gosder Cherilus or Xavier Adibi, but the rest....I don't know :cwy:

Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 in the 40 yard dash.

Of course you will totally discount what I just wrote and believe what

you want to believe. Sometimes things are true, even if you don't believe

them.

Hey GG6 who are the lovely young ladies?

It does seem that Giants execs like guys with strange names. In fact, I usually spend the first week after a draft learning how to pronounce Umenyura, Kiwanuka or Visanthe, etc. Last year wasn't so bad. Anyway, given that scenario, here's a potential mock (picked for "names" sake) for this weekend:

OT - Gosder Cherilus

WR - De’Cody Fagg

LB - Xavier Adibi

CB - Jack Ikegwuono

DT - Ogemdi Nwagbuo (Try saying that one 3 times fast)

FS - Husain Abdullah

SS - Haroki Nakamura

DE - Kenny Iwebema

FB/RB - Jehuu Caulcrick

I wouldn't mind having Gosder Cherilus or Xavier Adibi, but the rest....I don't know :cwy:

Rick, you're killin me. :LMAO:

Rick, you're killin me. :LMAO:

Wouldn't you know it Charlie....this morning's news (Star Ledger out of Jersey) says the Giants are high on and interested in ........drum roll please......................you guessed it: Ogemdi Nwagbuo, a 6'4" 300 lb DT out of Michigan State

For no other reason than the difficulty in pronouncing his name....it's almost a guarantee that he'll be in a Giants uniform this season.

I found this on the net - his name is pronounced: oh-GIM-dee new-WOW-bo

That would give us a defensive line with Umenyura, Kiwinuka, and Ogemdi Nwagbuo. That should drive sports casters nuts when calling a Giants game!

I know I posted a list of "wants" yesterday, but with draft day almost upon us, I just want to say that if we come away from the draft with Tyrell Johnson and Red Bryant....I'll feel great.

Of course we'll be picking up another linebacker, at least 1 WR and some front line players for depth, and I hope we get some promising players in those positions.......I just hope that somehow we end up with Johnson and Bryant. They are two players that I feel will be major players in the future.

To Bleedin' and Golfin':

No way in hell does Malcolm Kelly fall all the way to #63 in the 2nd round. If we don't get him in the first we are not getting him. Count me as one who thinks he will be gone by the time we pick at #31. I'm hopeful he falls to us there and we take him, but I will be very pleased to land Tyrell Johnson as well.

I do feel Kelly will be a star despite his 40 time and he is the one player I am most geeked about the Giants possibly drafting.

To Bleedin' and Golfin':

No way in hell does Malcolm Kelly fall all the way to #63 in the 2nd round. If we don't get him in the first we are not getting him. Count me as one who thinks he will be gone by the time we pick at #31. I'm hopeful he falls to us there and we take him, but I will be very pleased to land Tyrell Johnson as well.

I do feel Kelly will be a star despite his 40 time and he is the one player I am most geeked about the Giants possibly drafting.

You could very well be right.....but almost all the analysts are now saying that they don't think any WR's will be taken in the first round....not even Thomas.

Mario Manningham's stock has fallen so much that he will probably be on the board when the Giants choose their second pick. Most of the others, Thomas, Sweed, Caldwell, Kelly, and Hardy will probably be all gone during the second round.

WR's are a real crap shoot. I think Manningham is a great player, but scoring "6" on his wonderlic and then having lied about being caught in a piss test a couple of times has made his stock drop like a lead balloon. He might end up getting his shit together and becoming a responsible and great player WR in the NFL. But I don't think I'd take a chance on him unless he fell to the 4th round....then he'd probably be a real steal.....maybe!

You could very well be right.....but almost all the analysts are now saying that they don't think any WR's will be taken in the first round....not even Thomas.

Mario Manningham's stock has fallen so much that he will probably be on the board when the Giants choose their second pick. Most of the others, Thomas, Sweed, Caldwell, Kelly, and Hardy will probably be all gone during the second round.

WR's are a real crap shoot. I think Manningham is a great player, but scoring "6" on his wonderlic and then having lied about being caught in a piss test a couple of times has made his stock drop like a lead balloon. He might end up getting his shit together and becoming a responsible and great player WR in the NFL. But I don't think I'd take a chance on him unless he fell to the 4th round....then he'd probably be a real steal.....maybe!

Bleedin', you can't believe the hype. You know deep down there are going to be WRs taken tomorrow in the first round. It's going to happen. Really, can you imagine Kelly falling all the way to the last pick of the 2nd round? I can't. He is a difference maker and difference makers get taken early. I really believe that Philadelphia and probably Dallas will use their 1st round picks on WRs. Philly is being aloof about what they are targeting, but let's be serious... they have a gaping hole at WR and they know it. They need to help Donovan McNabb and take the humongous load off of Westbrook that he unfairly was burdened with last season.

The Cowboys with Terry Glenn and T.O. need to get younger at the position. They are almost forced to do it now, especially considering that Glenn missed almost all of last year with injury.

And to stay in the East, the Redskins next most proven WR outside of Santana Moss on their roster is James Thrash. Not very eye-popping. So they have a big position of need there as well. Although they do have diamond in the rough Anthony Mix on their roster! :glare:

I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all and for sure you can never be sure how the draft will pan out, but I think that it would be ludicrous for someone of Kelly's ability to fall to #63.

Either way, I can't wait, very much looking forward to the draft!

1st Round: Either Tyrell Johnson or Kenny Phillips.

Safety is our biggest need this draft and I would be happy with either safety.

Leaning towards Tyree Johnson though.

2nd Round: Justin King CB/ Penn State

Sam Madison and R.W. McQuarters (who might become a June 1st cut) are getting

up their in age and I'd love to get a replacement as good as King is, he didn't full

his potential in college though.

This pick if only Shockey is traded:

3rd Round: Brad Cottam TE/ Tennessee.

Last tight end out of Tennessee is a pretty good pro.