SportsWrath

This is why I love Reese

fishgutmartyr

There weren't any impact starters that we could use.

Why do you feel teams "need" to anyway?

Uhh because signing quality depth and role players doesn't really fill any positional needs, does it?

Yeah because that worked for us last season eh?

No, but guys like Plaxico Burress, Kawika Mitchell, Kareem Mckenzie etc, etc, are starting player material and aqcuired for cheap. Not just backups.

Mitchell wasn't hyped but he was definitely impact. He was the top defensive player on the Chiefs.

haha, in regards to my previous post, hadn't read quite as far as your post, but THANK YOU!

Listen, no where did I say we needed to break the bank for impact players, but we still need to actually sign starters. Maybe Sammy Knight will be an impact player, not the slow and washed up Brent Alexander type that I know he is.

He certainly wasn't considered impact when he was signed.

We have no idea if a player will be an "impact" player until they play with the team. Like Golfin said players like Nate Clements or this free agent period Bernard Berrian or Asante Samuel are considered "impact" players. We know the impact Clements had....the idea that teams should bring in one impact player a year minimum is not a good idea.

Dude, yes he was. He was slotted to be our starter at linebacker. That's creating an impact IMMEDIATELY.

He certainly wasn't considered impact when he was signed.

We have no idea if a player will be an "impact" player until they play with the team. Like Golfin said players like Nate Clements or this free agent period Bernard Berrian or Asante Samuel are considered "impact" players. We know the impact Clements had....the idea that teams should bring in one impact player a year minimum is not a good idea.

Dude, yes he was. He was slotted to be our starter at linebacker. That's creating an impact IMMEDIATELY.

I'm talking impact, not hype.

I'm talking impact, not hype.

While I do like the theory Reese has been using, I do think you need to actually sign at least one impact starter per free agency period. And no, Sammy Knight is not an impact starter.

You contradict yourself.

No, but guys like Plaxico Burress, Kawika Mitchell, Kareem Mckenzie etc, etc, are starting player material and aqcuired for cheap. Not just backups.

Kareem McKenzie was signed for six years at thirty six million, not exactly cheap

from where I come from.

that being said, he is 24 years old, and we would be set at CB for many years to come. Webster would be expendable and maybe move to the Nickle or move to a safety position.

We did win the Super Bowl! We would be a favorite with a guy of that caliber on this team.

Hypothetical question here. Would you trade Shockey for Hall? I am not saying Boss is just as good but the TE spot can be expendable. We possibly wouldn't have to give up any draft picks. I do like Boss and Mathews.

I wouldn't trade Shockey this season. I'd like to see how he plays in 2008 as I'm sure him sitting in that booth while the team was making history has to light a fire under his ass. Plaxico stepped up big and in 2008 look for Shockey to live up the hype.. big time.

Hypothetical question here. Would you trade Shockey for Hall? I am not saying Boss is just as good but the TE spot can be expendable. We possibly wouldn't have to give up any draft picks. I do like Boss and Mathews.

maybe...And not because I think 'we are set at TE' like most you guys think. It's because Gilbrite does not know how to use the TE. So we're pretty much wasting Shockey's talent. Think about it... As much as Boss showed the skills of Tony Gonzalez and Mark Bavaro, on his way to 9 receptions. :rolleyes: let not forget he only averaged 1 reception per game in the playoffs. A clear sign saying he doesn't know how to use the TE... Especially when have someone as talented as Tony Bavaro (Boss). :rolleyes:

However, on the other hand. Hall did give up alot of big plays the last 2 years. But that could be because Atlanta produced 0 pass rush. Who know?

While I do like the theory Reese has been using, I do think you need to actually sign at least one impact starter per free agency period. And no, Sammy Knight is not an impact starter.

I disagree with your "impact starter" theory. If you are drafting well, your impact starters are coming from the draft, not free-agency. That keeps your cap down, and helps with team chemistry. The only reason we needed to sign as many players as we did in 2005 was because we drafted so poorly from 2000-2002. Aside from Shockey, who is left on the team from those drafts--for that matter, other than maybe one or two players, who's left in the league? We're simply not in the position to need to sign an "impact starter" every year--we have most of them.

Since 2003, we've been drafting pretty well. Joseph shouldn't have been a first rounder, but you can't really complain about a draft too much when it brings in Umenyiora and Diehl. And out of all the free agents we grabbed over the last few years, the only core ones are Burress, Pierce, O'Hara, and maybe Mackenzie. All positions with complete failures as draft picks. Unless you want to argue that Bober was a better center than O'Hara, or Monk/Mallard would have been a better middle linebacker. I doubt you do. Other than the players I mentioned, all our other core starters are draft picks--and that's really a better spot to be in.

Just as importantly, explain to me how we know who an impact starter is going to be? Last year, most people were going "who?" when we signed Mitchell, and were moaning how we didn't get anybody. I know I didn't know who the guy was, and didn't understand why we signed him. I wasn't flipping out over it (at least I don't remember doing that), but I had no idea that he was as good as he turned out to be. The thing is, he turned out to be an impact starter this past year. So I'm not all that quick to question a decision anymore, and at this point I'm looking more to the drafts for players that will be good backups for us now, and impact starters later when free-agency strips us and gives us more compensatory picks. I think that's really what free agency is going to mean for us in the next few years.

I disagree with your "impact starter" theory. If you are drafting well, your impact starters are coming from the draft, not free-agency. That keeps your cap down, and helps with team chemistry. The only reason we needed to sign as many players as we did in 2005 was because we drafted so poorly from 2000-2002. Aside from Shockey, who is left on the team from those drafts--for that matter, other than maybe one or two players, who's left in the league? We're simply not in the position to need to sign an "impact starter" every year--we have most of them.

Since 2003, we've been drafting pretty well. Joseph shouldn't have been a first rounder, but you can't really complain about a draft too much when it brings in Umenyiora and Diehl. And out of all the free agents we grabbed over the last few years, the only core ones are Burress, Pierce, O'Hara, and maybe Mackenzie. All positions with complete failures as draft picks. Unless you want to argue that Bober was a better center than O'Hara, or Monk/Mallard would have been a better middle linebacker. I doubt you do. Other than the players I mentioned, all our other core starters are draft picks--and that's really a better spot to be in.

Just as importantly, explain to me how we know who an impact starter is going to be? Last year, most people were going "who?" when we signed Mitchell, and were moaning how we didn't get anybody. I know I didn't know who the guy was, and didn't understand why we signed him. I wasn't flipping out over it (at least I don't remember doing that), but I had no idea that he was as good as he turned out to be. The thing is, he turned out to be an impact starter this past year. So I'm not all that quick to question a decision anymore, and at this point I'm looking more to the drafts for players that will be good backups for us now, and impact starters later when free-agency strips us and gives us more compensatory picks. I think that's really what free agency is going to mean for us in the next few years.

Joseph would have been a first rounder for someone that year Fish. I can't get down on us too much for that pick. What we should have done was pay more attention to the fact that guys draft stock was higher when he thought about coming out for his junior year and then dropped for his senior year.

Joseph would have been a first rounder for someone that year Fish. I can't get down on us too much for that pick. What we should have done was pay more attention to the fact that guys draft stock was higher when he thought about coming out for his junior year and then dropped for his senior year.

I'm not really down on the pick, so much as looking at the pick with 20/20 hindsight. I don't really think he qualifies as a bust, just a disappointment for when we chose him. We got 3rd round production from a first round pick. I can understand why we did it, it just didn't work out.

I'm not really down on the pick, so much as looking at the pick with 20/20 hindsight. I don't really think he qualifies as a bust, just a disappointment for when we chose him. We got 3rd round production from a first round pick. I can understand why we did it, it just didn't work out.

I know what you mean, for years I'm sitting there going "c'mon Joseph, show them you're not a bust". But it never happened. Well he's the Raiders problem now.

Only people who know nothing about football went "Who?" when we brought in Mitchell. I knew he was our starter.

Only people who know nothing about football went "Who?" when we brought in Mitchell. I knew he was our starter.

What Fish was saying Storm is that in light of all that went on in free agency last year and all the players coming and going that when we got Mitchell it was more like "that's it" as opposed to not knowing who he was. Most of us here were aware of Mitchell's past.