SportsWrath

This is why I love Reese

fishgutmartyr

With three free agent signings, we've plugged three of the most glaring holes on our team: safety, linebacker, and backup QB. While we still have room for more players in two of those positions, we no longer have the dire need that we seemed to have at the beginning of free agency. That means we have the luxury of taking any rookie we draft/sign, and allowing them to develop into those positions

That's important, because we are no longer in the position where we have to draft for need in the first round. We can draft just about any position (with the obvious exceptions of QB and kickers) and feel pretty damn comfortable with the choice. Sure, if we have two players of equal ranking and one's a safety, we'll draft the safety, but the point is we aren't forced to do it if a better player is on the table.

You have to love that.

With three free agent signings, we've plugged three of the most glaring holes on our team: safety, linebacker, and backup QB. While we still have room for more players in two of those positions, we no longer have the dire need that we seemed to have at the beginning of free agency. That means we have the luxury of taking any rookie we draft/sign, and allowing them to develop into those positions

That's important, because we are no longer in the position where we have to draft for need in the first round. We can draft just about any position (with the obvious exceptions of QB and kickers) and feel pretty damn comfortable with the choice. Sure, if we have two players of equal ranking and one's a safety, we'll draft the safety, but the point is we aren't forced to do it if a better player is on the table.

You have to love that.

In hindsight, you look at what he's done and really what else should he have done. Very little. He lost Torbor, well didn't lose because if Kiwi is back Torbor doesn't play. He lost Kawika, and yes it would have been nice to have him back but bringing in a guy like Clark is a similar move to bringing in Kawika. As for Gibril, the organization simply could not bring him back at even close to the price the Raiders paid, which was an absolute joke. But you bring in Sammy Knight and you've got solid experience for the next 2 years, which gives you a chance to see if a guy like Johnson is the answer or not. But the David Carr pickup overall impressed me, because our qb backup is a joke and now you have a guy who if nothing else, has played as a starter for years and you have someone behind Eli with the mantle of "former first round draft pick", and like it or not that doesn't go away.

Plus with last year's draft, we know now we have solid depth at the least.

Apart from RB/WR and QB, we can pick a first rounder for every other area, it's a good situation.

Excellent points. Reese has said over and over that he's not going to overpay and he's proving his point. Actually, that has been the strategy of Belichek and the pats for the past few years and it's paid off handsomely for them. The Redskins proved that overpaying for free agents does not work. You'd think that the Raiders and a few other teams would learn from them, but apparantly not.

Can't wait until draft day!

Exactly football is definitely not baseball or basketball where the addition of an overpriced free agent or two puts you immediately into contention. Pay what the guy is worth not what the market dictates and/or how others are overpaying their guys.

In hindsight, you look at what he's done and really what else should he have done. Very little. He lost Torbor, well didn't lose because if Kiwi is back Torbor doesn't play. He lost Kawika, and yes it would have been nice to have him back but bringing in a guy like Clark is a similar move to bringing in Kawika. As for Gibril, the organization simply could not bring him back at even close to the price the Raiders paid, which was an absolute joke. But you bring in Sammy Knight and you've got solid experience for the next 2 years, which gives you a chance to see if a guy like Johnson is the answer or not. But the David Carr pickup overall impressed me, because our qb backup is a joke and now you have a guy who if nothing else, has played as a starter for years and you have someone behind Eli with the mantle of "former first round draft pick", and like it or not that doesn't go away.

Apart from RB/WR and QB, we can pick a first rounder for every other area, it's a good situation.

Wow, I actually agree with that nearly 100 %. the only thing I differ on is i think we could easily take a WR in the first round, if 1 or 2 certain guys fell that far.

I see a long snapper or towel boy in the 1st.

Heck I'd still trust in Reese if he did it.

Giants fans know the value of a good long snapper, after a certain playoff game many of us would have been tickled with a first round long snapper. :doh:

While I do like the theory Reese has been using, I do think you need to actually sign at least one impact starter per free agency period. And no, Sammy Knight is not an impact starter.

Giants fans know the value of a good long snapper, after a certain playoff game many of us would have been tickled with a first round long snapper. :doh:

I thought DeOssie was a long snapper. No? I'd prefer we see an addition at CB or Safety. You never have enough of those players. Then I would look to dump Moss in a trade - he has been a huge disappointmment. With the emergence of Smith as the heir apparent to Amani, we still need someone who stretches the field besides Plax.

I thought DeOssie was a long snapper. No? I'd prefer we see an addition at CB or Safety. You never have enough of those players. Then I would look to dump Moss in a trade - he has been a huge disappointmment. With the emergence of Smith as the heir apparent to Amani, we still need someone who stretches the field besides Plax.

Yes Zack is a long snapper, I was apparantly making a poor joke at the Giants playoff colapse vs the 49ers in 2002 that was capped off with a bad fg snap.

While I do like the theory Reese has been using, I do think you need to actually sign at least one impact starter per free agency period. And no, Sammy Knight is not an impact starter.

There weren't any impact starters that we could use.

Why do you feel teams "need" to anyway?

Yes Zack is a long snapper, I was apparantly making a poor joke at the Giants playoff colapse vs the 49ers in 2002 that was capped off with a bad fg snap.

I don't know what you're talking about VG, that game never happened. IT NEVER HAPPENED, RIGHT?!

I don't know what you're talking about VG, that game never happened. IT NEVER HAPPENED, RIGHT?!

I feel much easier talking about it a little after this season. Still stings, but this season took the edge off that game and the black birds game.

Mitchell wasn't hyped but he was definitely impact. He was the top defensive player on the Chiefs.

which I never understood why they let K. Mitchell go last year. A co-worker of mine is a huge Chiefs fan, and he was pissed when they let him go.

Mitchell wasn't hyped but he was definitely impact. He was the top defensive player on the Chiefs.

He certainly wasn't considered impact when he was signed.

We have no idea if a player will be an "impact" player until they play with the team. Like Golfin said players like Nate Clements or this free agent period Bernard Berrian or Asante Samuel are considered "impact" players. We know the impact Clements had....the idea that teams should bring in one impact player a year minimum is not a good idea.

It is alright overpaying for that impact guy but Gibril is not that guy. Gibril has also had some injuries. Now nothing that could hamper his career but he has been out of many games during his short career. I guess he just wanted to get paid. Good luck with that team he is on. He might never see the playoffs again.

On too Reese. I would love for the Giants to sign another impact player but this free agent class was nothing to write home about. The Eagles signed an alright play. Maybe Samual was one of the best in this class but I find him a little over rated. Just a product of the defensive system he was playing in. I wasn't so high on Briggs either. I am happy that Reese stayed away from these guys.

I am still not sure which we are going to go in the draft. I wonder if they believe Webster actually showed his true potential or was it the system he was playing in. I think we might go with a pick in the secondary with our first pick. Let someone develop in time, maybe gets to see plenty of work this year.

I would still love to see the Giants trade for DeAngelo Hall but for the right price and right contract demands. Not this 10mil per he wants now. The longer Reese waits, the better position he will be in.

I would still love to see the Giants trade for DeAngelo Hall but for the right price and right contract demands. Not this 10mil per he wants now. The longer Reese waits, the better position he will be in.

I think that's one of the major reason why Reese hasn't pull the trigger in the Hall deal. Hall is asking for waaaaaaay to much money. 6-8 Million sounds reasonable to me. Anything more than that is just crazy...

Well said.

Keep in mind that we've got Wilkerson in the wings too....he didn't see the field much, but when he did, he impressed me with his speed and pursuit....he absolutely shot through the gaps. I'm expecting Wilkerson to start next season, and having Clark gives us the ability to move Kiwi back to DE if needed depending on what happens with Strahan.

I think that's one of the major reason why Reese hasn't pull the trigger in the Hall deal. Hall is asking for waaaaaaay to much money. 6-8 Million sounds reasonable to me. Anything more than that is just crazy...

that being said, he is 24 years old, and we would be set at CB for many years to come. Webster would be expendable and maybe move to the Nickle or move to a safety position.

We did win the Super Bowl! We would be a favorite with a guy of that caliber on this team.

Hypothetical question here. Would you trade Shockey for Hall? I am not saying Boss is just as good but the TE spot can be expendable. We possibly wouldn't have to give up any draft picks. I do like Boss and Mathews.