SportsWrath

Trent Green as backup QB?

Sephiroth

As per nfl.com:

March 6: Green completed his visit to St. Louis, will return home to mull things over, and then probably make a decision on where he will play in the NFL in 2008, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Green has no other visits planned at this time, but has also received calls from Green Bay and the New York Giants.

He might not be bad as a backup in a pinch.

I would prefer Green over Lorenzen. Not only coming in if Eli were to go down, but also Green actually has something of value he can provide besides a novelty. I do wish we had some more of the Lorenzen third and shorts though, and add in some where he throws.

hahaha good luck with that boys.

The guy is 5 sacks away from losing it. Not to mention what one more concussion could do. Do you really want that hanging over your heads everytime he drops back? It was bad enough dealing with it this year.

The guy is 5 sacks away from losing it. Not to mention what one more concussion could do. Do you really want that hanging over your heads everytime he drops back? It was bad enough dealing with it this year.

We gave up 28 sacks this year....you gave up 42...Green may actually have a surviving chance with us.

I'd say no. He wasn't playing well before the concussion and after that hit he could be really messed up. Green should hang it up. Too bad, he should have had a better career,,.

Kind of weird too, I mean the guy could of been the Qb for the "best show on earth" instead of Warner if it wasn't for an injury. Granted I think he had a pretty good career in KC but he could of had alot better of a career like you said.

The thread says "as backup QB"

He can come back up a guy who has started every game the past 3 years. If he is "dropping back" as you pointed out there will be more pressing issues as to his mental state, like "when is ELI coming back?"

So might Lorenzen.

I don't understand your love affair with Lorenzen. He has never really shown anything in a preseason game other than a very strong inaccurate arm, and that is against 2nd and 3rd teamers. He throws the deep ball 10 to 15 yards over receivers heads. The one time he got a chance to show what he had in a real game, week 2 against Green Bay, he looked confused, had happy feet and did nothing with the offense. Do you really think this guy could pick up the slack if Eli ever went down?

I say sign Green. Hopefully he never takes a snap and just acts as a second QB coach. It can't hurt to have someone with more league experience drop some knowledge on Eli. If Eli ever went down, then we have a savy vetran to step in, run the offense and hold the fort down till Eli came back. Sounds like a good move to me.

The one time he got a chance to show what he had in a real game, week 2 against Green Bay, he looked confused, had happy feet and did nothing with the offense. Do you really think this guy could pick up the slack if Eli ever went down?

In case you missed it, that's exactly how Green looks now too.

So might Lorenzen.

Man, that guy is still an enigma to me. When we signed him at first, he took a year off for "personal reasons" which were never accurately explained. He's got a big arm and what seems like good size, but it also seems like he's tentative in the pocket despite being bigger than the guys rushing him. After winning the #2 spot behind Eli, I read that he had lost that spot to Anthony Wright (who admittedly, I don't know much about either).

I guess I'd just feel better having someone behind Eli who's had some success in the NFL as a starter (and NO, I don't want him to start over Eli... I don't want anyone to).

The thread says "as backup QB"

He can come back up a guy who has started every game the past 3 years. If he is "dropping back" as you pointed out there will be more pressing issues as to his mental state, like "when is ELI coming back?"

you missed your chance to land Cleo, albeit the Jags signed him for way too much. Don't fuck up now with our other castoff

I would prefer Green over Lorenzen. Not only coming in if Eli were to go down, but also Green actually has something of value he can provide besides a novelty. I do wish we had some more of the Lorenzen third and shorts though, and add in some where he throws.

While I totally understand what you're saying here, I have all the confidence in the world in J-Load.

Man, that guy is still an enigma to me. When we signed him at first, he took a year off for "personal reasons" which were never accurately explained. He's got a big arm and what seems like good size, but it also seems like he's tentative in the pocket despite being bigger than the guys rushing him. After winning the #2 spot behind Eli, I read that he had lost that spot to Anthony Wright (who admittedly, I don't know much about either).

I guess I'd just feel better having someone behind Eli who's had some success in the NFL as a starter (and NO, I don't want him to start over Eli... I don't want anyone to).

I believe that part of the personal reasons he had were that he would not go to NFL Europe, or Europa.

Why

This is one of those things I believe.. you know when you go for a job interview.. and they want "experience".. yet your ask "Well, how can I get "experience" if I'm never given a chance?"... that kindda feeling...

The way I see it, the guy has a strong and accurate arm.. he's physically "fit" to play the position and the limited time I saw him on the field I liked what I saw... you surely don't expect someone to come and play lights out when the team is trying to run out the clock in the final 2 minutes; do you?

Who was the QB that played for us before drafting Eli? (his name escapes me).. that worked out well didn't it?

btw, the same belief worked for me when I said I'm all for Reese being our GM.

This is one of those things I believe.. you know when you go for a job interview.. and they want "experience".. yet your ask "Well, how can I get "experience" if I'm never given a chance?"... that kindda feeling...

The way I see it, the guy has a strong and accurate arm.. he's physically "fit" to play the position and the limited time I saw him on the field I liked what I saw... you surely don't expect someone to come and play lights out when the team is trying to run out the clock in the final 2 minutes; do you?

Who was the QB that played for us before drafting Eli? (his name escapes me).. that worked out well didn't it?

btw, the same belief worked for me when I said I'm all for Reese being our GM.

Comparing Jload to Kerry Collins isn't a good comparison. Kerry was a succesful first round (I believe) QB who hit a rough patch in his personal life. He was given a second chance and it worked well for both parties involved.

I personally like Jload, I want to keep him on the team, but I would feel a lot more confident with someone who has been there done that kinda thing. I know Eli is getting past the age of needing a tutor, but it never hurts to have a guy like Green on the sidelines to talk to him, someone who has seen every side of the NFL, from sucess to failure to inuries to just flat out knowledge of the game. I would like to keep the load as a 3rd stringer though.

It's all moot anyway cause Green signed with the Rams.

Comparing Jload to Kerry Collins isn't a good comparison. Kerry was a succesful first round (I believe) QB who hit a rough patch in his personal life. He was given a second chance and it worked well for both parties involved.

I personally like Jload, I want to keep him on the team, but I would feel a lot more confident with someone who has been there done that kinda thing. I know Eli is getting past the age of needing a tutor, but it never hurts to have a guy like Green on the sidelines to talk to him, someone who has seen every side of the NFL, from sucess to failure to inuries to just flat out knowledge of the game. I would like to keep the load as a 3rd stringer though.

It's all moot anyway cause Green signed with the Rams.

Actually I was thinking Kurt Warner...

I can see your point.. as long as we keep J-Load on the team, I'm cool with it.