SportsWrath

Comers and Goers

Virginia Giant

Giant Losses

S Gibril Wilson signed with Oakland 6 year $39 million (Becomes 3rd highest paid saftey in NFL behind Bob Sanders and Troy Polamalu)

LB Kawika Mitchell signed with Buffalo 5 year $17.5 million

LB Reggie Torbor signed with Miami (unsure of contract right now)

Giant Gains

S Sammy Knight signed for 3 years $5 million

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

And the Raiders continue to invest in "hot" players that are products of the system they play in. Wilson will do nothing to improve that defense and is certainly not the 3rd best safety in the league. The Raiders are a sad organization that consistently makes shitty decisions.

Mitchell I understand. He played very well after the start of the season. But so did the rest of the defense. Mitchell had a couple of memorable plays, especially the fake-out blitz he pulled on Brady. I don't think he is worth that much money and with how quickly he signed I think his focus is more on getting a hot offer than a good team.

Torbor? Fuck Torbor who the hell is he anyway.

Well going to be interesting to see what we do in the FA and Draft. Do we let the young kids step in, Wilkerson and Johnson or are we going to go after FA players.

Well whatever we do, I'm sure Reese has the right idea.

I'd like to see both of those guys get a shot, but I have more faith in Wilkerson than Johnson. Not to say I don't like Johnson. We'll have to adress both positions though. We lost 2 LB's and are still unsure about Kiwi at LB and Wilkerson played sparingly. I'd really like to see us get Briggs, that'd give us flexability with Wilk and Kiwi. Possibly move Kiwi back to DE and let Wilk and Briggs take the LB spots.

Either way, we'll have to address both spots.

I'd like to see both of those guys get a shot, but I have more faith in Wilkerson than Johnson. Not to say I don't like Johnson. We'll have to adress both positions though. We lost 2 LB's and are still unsure about Kiwi at LB and Wilkerson played sparingly. I'd really like to see us get Briggs, that'd give us flexability with Wilk and Kiwi. Possibly move Kiwi back to DE and let Wilk and Briggs take the LB spots.

I'm the reverse on this VG, after watching Johnson this season, I think he's more ready. He made some rookie mistakes but he also had some great heads up plays. Giants might be looking at Eugene Wilson to replace Gibril.

I can't see us getting Briggs. It's not going to be a big splash free agency for us. I mean we've lost 2 starters but we're not going to lose much more of serious worth.

I'm the reverse on this VG, after watching Johnson this season, I think he's more ready. He made some rookie mistakes but he also had some great heads up plays. Giants might be looking at Eugene Wilson to replace Gibril.

I can't see us getting Briggs. It's not going to be a big splash free agency for us. I mean we've lost 2 starters but we're not going to lose much more of serious worth.

I doubt we get Briggs either, thats a pipe dream I share with Lube and Bleedin. Don't get me wrong, I like Johnson, but in the same way I'm not ready to fully hand Webster the keys to the Porcshe, I don't know if I'm fully ready to do the same for Johnson. Though I'd love nothing more tan for him to win the job and play lights out.

I doubt we get Briggs either, thats a pipe dream I share with Lube and Bleedin. Don't get me wrong, I like Johnson, but in the same way I'm not ready to fully hand Webster the keys to the Porcshe, I don't know if I'm fully ready to do the same for Johnson. Though I'd love nothing more tan for him to win the job and play lights out.

You're right on the Webster issue, which is why I think you'll see Madison and McQuarters hanging around another season. Webster made some of the same mistakes in the late season than he did earlier in his career, he just made a lot of bigger plays to overshadow them.

The Giants could do with getting some experience and Wilson would be good in that regards, because it's likely Butler is going to be the starter again next season. Johnson/Butler might be just too iffy for us right now.

KFFL is reporting that Briggs is expected to sign with San Fran.

San Francisco signed Isaac Bruce and Deshaun Foster already and even if they get Briggs they are going to realize that they still have Mike Nolan as coach and Alex Smith at QB, which means they still won't be good enough.

And the Raiders continue to invest in "hot" players that are products of the system they play in. Wilson will do nothing to improve that defense and is certainly not the 3rd best safety in the league. The Raiders are a sad organization that consistently makes shitty decisions.

What, you don't think Gibril will do better than Larry Brown, Desmond Howard and Domanik Rhodes? :ph34r:

Okay...it's saturday morning and I've searched for and read every article I can find to try and figure out what the Giants are up to.

Here's what I find:

1) Looking mostly for a new backup QB. Excerpt.....Giants have attempted to come to an agreement with "Todd Collins and Cleo Lemon, but Collins re-signed with the Redskins and Lemon went from Miami to the Jaguars. The agent for 14-year veteran Trent Green said the Giants have expressed interest in his client, but a visit isn't scheduled yet. Green suffered a season-ending concussion last year while with the Dolphins".

2) Although Eugene Wilson is being pursued "lightly", he is considered "plan B" in the Giants pursuit in case they cannot come to an agreement with Sammy Knight....the 11-year veteran safety, who had four interceptions with the Jaguars last year and has averaged 92 tackles a season for the past 7 years as well as 1.5 sacks per season.

3) Giants are apparantly serious in their interest in Bills cornerback Jason Webster

4) .... former Steeler Clark Haggans, whom one person said is on the Giant's radar -- will likely be added to compete with Wilkinson - Haggans had 4 sacks last year and has averaged nearly 6 sacks a season for the past six years.

If I were a gambling man, I'd say that Knight and Haggans could very well end up wearing Giants' blue this coming season.

Knight is a pretty good player from what I have read over the years he has played. I have never heard of Haggan though.

I, likewise know nothing of Haggan. My problem is (and there are many, but I digress), is that I don't closely follow other teams or players besides the Giants and their division rivals. Apart from stars on other teams, I couldn't list 5 or more players on any team outside the NFC East.

New England built a perrenial powerhouse over the years by finding relatively unheralded, but solid role players in free agency, while letting their expensive stars walk. They've done this ever since Belechek took over. I wonder if the Giants aren't using the same strategy. If Knight and Haggan are steady starters....then this could be a similar situation. Haggan is 31 yrs old, and Knight is 32. That means they are NFL game hardened and probably have a couple of good years left on the tread of their tires. They could be really helpful in mentoring our youngsters on their way up. Or, maybe signing them could be similar to picking up Mitchell last year to fill a hole as a stopgap. Regardless.....I trust the Giants staff in making good decisions.

Mitchell I understand. He played very well after the start of the season. But so did the rest of the defense. Mitchell had a couple of memorable plays, especially the fake-out blitz he pulled on Brady. I don't think he is worth that much money and with how quickly he signed I think his focus is more on getting a hot offer than a good team.

Torbor? Fuck Torbor who the hell is he anyway.

My sentiment exactly :TU: .. well except for Fuck Torbor... best of luck to him.

I like both Wilk and Johnson... they have to be on the field in order to improve and what I've seen from both is enough for me to want them to be on the field more.

Getting Briggs can open up lots of possibilities but I don't think the Giants are the kind of team that will spend a huge amount of money on a FA... thereby leaving other holes unplugged.

Kiwi can remain at LB and like Bleedin stated in a different thread.. be a hybrid DE/LB.

Sammy Knight is SLOW!

AP

KIWI

TUCK

BOSS

ALL HAD FASTER 40 TIMEZ!

I get a kick out of trying to analyze a football by looking at their 40yd times. True, if a guy runs a 4.10....he's damn fast in the open. But the difference between a 4.76 and a 4.88 is so negligable as to be irrelevant. Long speed is importat if you are a WR, CB, or RB/punt returner. What is important is "mind speed" and ability to be coached in order to know what's happening rather than relying on instinct.

By the way, Sammy Knight ran a 4.33 in the combine when he came out of college. He's put on weight and muscle since then and has turned in times between 4.50 - 4.70. Still, like it or not, he's a tackling machine. Linebacker Boss Bailey can still run the 40 in 4.20, but he has two problems, 1) he doesn't read the play quick enough to be at the right place at the right time and 2) he's a light tackler that gets hits, but then watches the player run away.

Knight might not win a foot race....but football is a lot more than a foot race.

He's a good bandaid fix for the Giants until Johnson is ready and while we get another guy groomed and ready. It's not like there's a stud safety in free agency this year and the draft is really light in safeties this year. The Giants are smart to put a vet in place for now.