SportsWrath

Falcons waiting on Spagnuolo

BlueInCanada

Falcons coach search delayed by Super Bowl

Atlanta will have to wait until after big game to interview Giants D.C.

By STEVE WYCHE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/21/08

The Falcons were the first NFL team with a head coaching vacancy and they could be the last team to fill the void.

Having targeted New York defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo as a candidate to be interviewed, Atlanta probably won't have a head coach until after the Feb. 3 Super Bowl between the Giants and New England.

RELATED STORIES

NFL rules won't permit the Falcons to talk to Spagnuolo, the first-year coordinator, until after the championship game.

Teams are allowed to have second interviews with assistant coaches who have been granted permission to interview for a head coaching job during the two-week period leading to the Super Bowl. The Falcons were denied permission to interview Spagnuolo two weeks ago because New York was preparing to face Dallas in an NFC divisional playoff.

Spagnuolo, 48, has been on the Falcons' radar but his body of work this postseason has made him a far more attractive candidate.

After improving the Giants' defense from 25th in 2006 to seventh in 2007, Spagnuolo's unit has muted quarterbacks Jeff Garcia (Tampa Bay), Tony Romo (Dallas) and Brett Favre (Green Bay), especially in the second halves of New York's three playoff victories. None of those quarterbacks finished with better than a 70.7 quarterback rating (Favre).

In the second halves of the Giants' playoff run, New York has allowed a total of 395 yards — in descending order (164, 141, 90 yards, respectively) — and 20 points. The Giants also have forced a total of six turnovers en route to the Super Bowl.

A victory over unbeaten New England would further enhance Spagnuolo's skyrocketing stock.

While waiting for the Super Bowl, Falcons officials will do their due diligence on Spagnuolo and possible assistants and address other personnel matters, including evaluating players preparing for this weekend's Senior Bowl. No head coaching interviews are scheduled for the Falcons, who are searching to replace Bobby Petrino, who resigned with three games remaining.

In doing their research, Falcons' officials could decide that they no longer want to pursue Spagnuolo and revert back to candidates previously interviewed.

Atlanta has interviewed Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan and Jacksonville defensive coordinator Mike Smith twice. Minnesota defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier had his first interview with the Falcons Friday and Saturday.

Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, Indianapolis assistant head coach Jim Caldwell and Cowboys offensive line coach Tony Sparano were interviewed by Atlanta immediately after the conclusion of the regular season. Team owner Arthur Blank also spoke with University of Southern California coach Pete Carroll but those conversations did not lead to an interview.

Garrett, last week, opted to remain with the Cowboys after being promoted to assistant head coach. Sparano was named head coach of Miami and Caldwell withdrew himself from consideration after he was named Tony Dungy's successor when Dungy resigns.

Those available candidates that have been interviewed are coordinators with their respective teams and could emerge as possibilities for the vacant Washington head-coaching job but as of now, they could still be available for Atlanta after the Super Bowl.

It is also possible that Washington could pursue Spagnuolo to replace Joe Gibbs, who recently resigned.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports...=7&cxcat=21

From the ESPN article about this:

"In fact, in some league circles, it is believed that Spagnuolo, 48, is now the front-runner for the job.

The relationship between Spagnuolo and new Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff, hired last week by owner Arthur Blank, apparently dates to when both worked in the World League in the early 1990s. Dimitroff will have considerable input into the choice of the new head coach."

Maybe he will stay a la Jason Garrett? PAY THE MAN! I think I will cry if we lose this guy.

If we lose him, we could always throw a bunch of money in Rex Ryan's face. I'd rather have Spags, but I cant call him and tell him to stay. In light of that, I'd rather have someone with a creditable resume.

Well you could always write to him.

New York Football Giants

ATTN: Steve Spanguolo

Giants Stadium

East Rutherford, NJ 07073

I really hope the Mara's and the Tisch's show this guy the money.

He was the first and only guy that Coughlin interviewed for the Defensive

Coordinator in the Spring. He our defensive version of Jason Garrett.

What worries me is if money is not the big issue, but becoming a HC. But then again, when is money not the big issue? <_<

Unfortunately, we're not going to be able to throw money at him to make him stay. Garrett knows he's gonna be the head coach of the Cowboys, probably after next year, so there was really no point in him going anywhere else anyway. We can't promise Spags the same thing. Coughlin is going to get a multi-year extension after this season.

Well you could always write to him.

New York Football Giants

ATTN: Steve Spanguolo

Giants Stadium

East Rutherford, NJ 07073

We could do a SportsWrath "Letters to Spags" movement. If we can get everyone on this board to write him one letter, maybe he will be so moved he will stay! LOL. I know it's always about the money, though.

I really hope the Mara's and the Tisch's show this guy the money.

He was the first and only guy that Coughlin interviewed for the Defensive

Coordinator in the Spring. He our defensive version of Jason Garrett.

That is what I have been saying for some time now.

Garrett was given notice he is heir-apparent after a coach who won't be a 10-year coach leaves.

Caldwell was given notice he is heir-apparent after Dungy leaves in 1-2 years.

Give Spags notice he is the heir-apparent after Coughlin leaves, which can't be too far off, and if possible I would find some sort of talent-scouting job for Coughlin cause he does have an eye for talent.

I just am praying Spags shows some loyalty to the team that gave him his shot as a DC and the team will respond to his job done this year with a promotion to Assistant HC.

There's something about the NY Giants and losing good coaches. It goes all the way to Lombardi and Landry, to Parcells, Belichick, Fox, Payton, and now it could be Spags.

Hopefully Mara and Tisch will give him crazy money, and he'll be promoted with Asst HC and be groomed as Coughlin's successor.

At the very least, I hope that his assistants have been paying attention to what he's been doing here, and his system is retained.

There's a reason why Garrett turned down the Falcons job. Spags should call him and find out why.

Frankly, the situation in Atlanta is real bad, bad enough that they could actually be worse next year. A rookie coach is walking into a room with serious malcontents. These are the clowns going round with "free Michael Vick" on their shirts etc, when it's Vick who let them down, not the NFL or the justice system. You'd want to be getting a lot of juice to make decisions down there before you take that job, because Blank wants to keep some of these idiots and he's going to pony up some big dough to do it. It's ugly.

Plus they have shitty uniforms.

There's a reason why Garrett turned down the Falcons job. Spags should call him and find out why.

Frankly, the situation in Atlanta is real bad, bad enough that they could actually be worse next year. A rookie coach is walking into a room with serious malcontents. These are the clowns going round with "free Michael Vick" on their shirts etc, when it's Vick who let them down, not the NFL or the justice system. You'd want to be getting a lot of juice to make decisions down there before you take that job, because Blank wants to keep some of these idiots and he's going to pony up some big dough to do it. It's ugly.

You've got a good point. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a solid offer, but again, like you've said, would it be worth it?

The best choice the Falcons could make would be Mike Singletary. I think he would bring instant legitimacy, and would be well-received by the Atlanta fanbase. It's clear that this team needs a guy that they can respect, and they need a fresh start. Atlanta looks to be a struggling franchise for at least the next two years. Singletary is a class act, and as a Super Bowl champion, and Hall of Famer, he would command respect in a very fucked-up locker room.

That's all true, but the only thing Atlanta has going for them right now is a decent, if undisciplined, defense. It'd think there's real potential to improve greatly on that side of the ball and Spags would be a Godsend for them. He'd also basically get a free pass for the next few years as Blank has already stated he's willing to draft a new QB and let him sit and learn for a year. It could be a complete fucking mess but it could also be the sweetest coaching job in football.

You've got a good point. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a solid offer, but again, like you've said, would it be worth it?

The best choice the Falcons could make would be Mike Singletary. I think he would bring instant legitimacy, and would be well-received by the Atlanta fanbase. It's clear that this team needs a guy that they can respect, and they need a fresh start. Atlanta looks to be a struggling franchise for at least the next two years. Singletary is a class act, and as a Super Bowl champion, and Hall of Famer, he would command respect in a very fucked-up locker room.

I have heard this many times but has Singletary been even interviewed? I thought it was between Spagnuolo and Ryan now. If I was Spagnuolo though I would stay. He can get great experience for a year or two and then, if he continues to coach like this year, be promoted to a good football teams HC job.

I don't know if Spags is this stupid to take the job. Only one year as a coordinator and they want him to take a job in Atlanta? I mean their teams is in shambles. Their franchise QB isn't going to be plying anytime soon and when he comes back thats going to be a whole new headache with the "Bring Vick back to Atlanta" their fans are going to take. Their O is on the decline with the lack of stud receivers and an O line that has more holes then swiss cheese. They have an alright D but their "star leader" CB likes to scream at their coaches. Even if they give Spags a couple years grace period I doubt he will do much and fans we be calling for his head, like alot of those one and done coaches in the league.

So I hope he doesn't even consider the job for a second and realizes that if he stays here he is going to have a much better future.