SportsWrath

We may be losing Spags.

so-cal dub

---link---

The Falcons have requested permission to talk to Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo about their open head-coaching job. According to someone who has been informed of the Giants' reply, the team said no -- for now. The person, who requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the coaching search, said it's just a temporary "no" until the team is eliminated from the playoffs.

Another person, who has spoken to parties involved, said the Giants' stance was they didn't want any distractions during the postseason. The person also said Spagnuolo wasn't disappointed with the Giants' refusal because he's focused on the task at hand, which is figuring out a way to shut down the Cowboys, who have scored 76 points in two games against the Giants this season.

Yet another source, who has spoken with Falcons owner Arthur Blank in the last week, said Spagnuolo and Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett are at the top of the team's wish list for a new head coach. That means at least one of those two candidates will be preparing for the NFC Championship game at this point next week. That could postpone the hiring process, which could drag up to and through the Super Bowl. Garrett and Cowboys offensive line coach Tony Sparano have already interviewed for the Falcons' job.

Atlanta will probably be content to wait for the chance to speak with Spagnuolo. Unless, of course, the Giants beat the Cowboys this week, Garrett becomes available for an immediate hire and he accepts the Falcons' job.

Another factor in the Falcons' interest in Spagnuolo is whom the team will hire as its new general manager. The Atlanta-Journal Constitiution and Newsday are reporting Giants VP of player evaluation Chris Mara interviewed today. Mara would likely make a push for Spagnuolo as would Eagles GM Tom Heckert, who watched Spagnuolo coach the Eagles' linebackers and defensive backs throughout the Andy Reid era before the Giants hired him last January.

Obviously, this is a situation that bears watching.

---link---

Even more on Spagnuolo

The Giants have denied permission for the Falcons to talk to Steve Spagnuolo this week, meaning the Falcons can't discuss their head coaching vacancy until after the Giants' playoff run is over. Thus, there is no "courtesy" being extended by the Falcons; it's the Giants saying they don't want any distractions as they prepare for the Cowboys. And beyond, if they beat Dallas on Sunday.

The Falcons are also interested in Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, who has already interviewed with the team during the bye week. Thus, the outcome of Sunday's game will be a major factor in the Falcons' search; whichever team loses will have one of its coaches freed up to further explore the Falcons' opening.

There is also no guarantee that Spagnuolo will interview with the team, especially if he doesn't feel ready to assume a head coaching position, or if the Giants' sweeten his current contract to keep him with the team.

The Giants are within their rights to deny permission at this point in the playoffs. According to league rules: "A team in the playoffs is under no obligation to grant permission for an assistant coach to interview for a head coaching position of another team. But if it does [grant permission], it must grant to all teams that inquire or none.

"Once its season is over, it cannot deny such permission through March 1. After March 1, it can deny permission (if the coach is under contract for the next season)."

Posted by Bob Glauber on January 8, 2008 5:23 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

That is not a good move for him. If he stays another year or 2 he'll be the prettiest girl at the dance.

Yeah right now thats garret. Thing is though, even though the Falcons are shitty, the next coach they get will get a team thats ready to accept a coach and battle for him. Plus, he's gonna get a early draft pick with a team that not too long ago was pretty damn good. Draft a QB a Blank is gonna give him time to rebuild.

Really isn't a bad job for a young first time head coach.

Yeah right now thats garret. Thing is though, even though the Falcons are shitty, the next coach they get will get a team thats ready to accept a coach and battle for him. Plus, he's gonna get a early draft pick with a team that not too long ago was pretty damn good. Draft a QB a Blank is gonna give him time to rebuild.

didn't do much for mora jr. and he was successful- now he's an asst. again. it's not a great sports town, as you know.

Do not get me wrong here, and believe you me I love Spagnolou and what he has brought to this team, but can he shut down at least one high powered offense first before we start the Spags as HC tal?. AGain do not get me wrong, he has been splendid, far better than I expected so soon and I bet next year in year 2 of the system with more stability at key spots its even better, but I do not think he has done anything that extraordinary to warrant HC talk after one year, not with the Falcons and certainly not with our own team. I love the guy, but he is not HC ready yet.

VG - Garrett is the prettiest girl at the dance right now, IMO. Unless Cowher wants to come back now.

With guys like Schottenheimer/ Billick and Cowher out there, I find it hard to figure why a team would look at a first year defensive co-ordinator. Spags is fresh off Johnson's schemes and needs to be judged on his record for at least another year. There are a lot of coaches out there right now who basically suck becuase they had early success and now these teams find out they are over their head. Pete Carroll asa pro coach was an example of this.

I don't get why Schottenheimer is not in the running in Miami, isn't he and Parcells buddies?

With guys like Schottenheimer/ Billick and Cowher out there, I find it hard to figure why a team would look at a first year defensive co-ordinator. Spags is fresh off Johnson's schemes and needs to be judged on his record for at least another year. There are a lot of coaches out there right now who basically suck becuase they had early success and now these teams find out they are over their head. Pete Carroll asa pro coach was an example of this.

I don't get why Schottenheimer is not in the running in Miami, isn't he and Parcells buddies?

Parcells and Schottenheimer do not have a history, but Marty and Ernie Accorsi do and EA is "advising" Arthur Blank on the coaching situation. Parcells will hire Tony Sparano(of course Big Pussy would have been the DC but he is dead)

I just don't understand how D coordinators like Marty Kifin (sp) can be in Tampa since '95 and not get a look, with all of those great Ds under his belt. Then teams come knockin on a first year coordinators door whos had a good season albeit a slightly up and down one.

Do not get me wrong here, and believe you me I love Spagnolou and what he has brought to this team, but can he shut down at least one high powered offense first before we start the Spags as HC tal?. AGain do not get me wrong, he has been splendid, far better than I expected so soon and I bet next year in year 2 of the system with more stability at key spots its even better, but I do not think he has done anything that extraordinary to warrant HC talk after one year, not with the Falcons and certainly not with our own team. I love the guy, but he is not HC ready yet.

You maybe on to something, xx. I LOVE spags.. however he's playing with players who are not really his. I'm sure he'd love to upgrade the CB/Safety postion... come to think of it, we're one good CB and good Safety away from limiting high powered offenses.

Read the article nummy. :freaked:

Two names for the Falcons GM job are Mara(current Giants VP of player evaluation) and Tom Heckert(Eagles GM). Both know Spags and will "likely" pursue him.

I agree, there are way better choices, but as the saying goes...it's not what you know buy who you know.

Read the article nummy. :freaked:

Two names for the Falcons GM job are Mara(current Giants VP of player evaluation) and Tom Heckert(Eagles GM). Both know Spags and will "likely" pursue him.

I agree, there are way better choices, but as the saying goes...it's not what you know buy who you know.

i thought it was who you blow? no wonder my boss gave me a weird look. :doh: