SportsWrath

PLAY TO WIN THE DAMN GAME

Nas

I disagree. I think we should rest the injured players only. This is our SB. If we win this game we go into the playoffs with momentum. Besides, when was the last time the Giants came out "fresh" after a bye week or a week off?

This is not our Superbowl, no offense Nas, but you are crazy to think otherwise. If we beat the Pats and then by chance WIN THE SUPERBOWL, are you still going to feel the same way?

Im thinking Tom wont decide if he's playing to win till half time. If it looks like we have a shot, he'll probably go for it. The way I see it though, Id rather have a shot to punch them in the gut in the super bowl. And I think our best chance to do that is to take advantage of this weeks unimportance, and get ready for Tampa. Only so many teams make the playoffs every year, we cant take that for granted. At this point, it should be all about the playoffs. I agree, we disagree :cheers:

I don't give a shit about this game, I just don't want to be one-and-done in the playoffs AGAIN. The only thing that would hurt me more is beating the Pats, getting my hopes up that we're actually that good, then losing to Tampa.

I understand we need to rest our injured players. But those who are not injured... let's face it, the Giants come out rusty after a bye.. what makes you think they'll come out fresh against Tampa? I can make the argument that we need to play our game... and we can use this game to try plays we wouldn't otherwise try... hell it's on National TV.

If we beat the Pats, great... who said we can't beat Tampa anyway?

I don't give a shit about this game, I just don't want to be one-and-done in the playoffs AGAIN. The only thing that would hurt me more is beating the Pats, getting my hopes up that we're actually that good, then losing to Tampa.

Not only that, but what if we went for it, and the Pats destroy us? That cant be good for moral. We need to be able to make a run in the playoffs, and work our way up to the harder teams.

Not only that, but what if we went for it, and the Pats destroy us? That cant be good for moral. We need to be able to make a run in the playoffs, and work our way up to the harder teams.

The way I see it, if the Pats "destroy" us, we have no business being the Playoffs.

I understand we need to rest our injured players. But those who are not injured... let's face it, the Giants come out rusty after a bye.. what makes you think they'll come out fresh against Tampa? I can make the argument that we need to play our game... and we can use this game to try plays we wouldn't otherwise try... hell it's on National TV.

If we beat the Pats, great... who said we can't beat Tampa anyway?

I dont think anyone is saying dont play them at all. Give them a half for sure. But yank em after that.

I disagree. I think we should rest the injured players only. This is our SB. If we win this game we go into the playoffs with momentum. Besides, when was the last time the Giants came out "fresh" after a bye week or a week off?

First, the Dog agrees that you play every game to win, but this time of year you have to be intelligent about it as well. The fact is, once the playoffs start, nobody is really going to care what happens in this game. The Dog doesn't believe in the whole "this is our Super Bowl" routine. The Super Bowl is in February, and the winner gets the trophy and the rings. The only time people talk about the team that knocks off the last unbeaten in a season is when another team makes a run in future years...otherwise, nobody talks about the 85 Dolphins or the 98 Giants, and the further from a season it gets, the less it is discussed (i.e., the Dog doesn't even remember who beat the 84 49ers for their one loss...). Momentum will carry you so far...the Dog doesn't think that beating the Patriots in week 17 of the regular season is going to have a long lasting effect on a team that has to go on the road three consecutive playoff games just to get to the Super Bowl...

First, the Dog agrees that you play every game to win, but this time of year you have to be intelligent about it as well. The fact is, once the playoffs start, nobody is really going to care what happens in this game. The Dog doesn't believe in the whole "this is our Super Bowl" routine. The Super Bowl is in February, and the winner gets the trophy and the rings. The only time people talk about the team that knocks off the last unbeaten in a season is when another team makes a run in future years...otherwise, nobody talks about the 85 Dolphins or the 98 Giants, and the further from a season it gets, the less it is discussed (i.e., the Dog doesn't even remember who beat the 84 49ers for their one loss...). Momentum will carry you so far...the Dog doesn't think that beating the Patriots in week 17 of the regular season is going to have a long lasting effect on a team that has to go on the road three consecutive playoff games just to get to the Super Bowl...

Preach on brother Doggy! BTW, was it Washington who beat the '84 49ers?

I see your point and I do understand it's very ligitimate. I still think we should play our starter - the injured ones. And if by half time, the game is lost, we can rest them... I guess we'll wait and see what Coughlin decides to do.

This team plays better when everyone thinks they suck anyway. I would rather lose this game horribly, then come back and crush the Bucs and roll into dallas or GB with something big on the line. That said, I also think the starters should play most of the game, just to stay in a playing rythm. This team always play bad when they have a bye, whether it's not playing the week before or their heads are still on vacation, I don't know. I would rather TC not take that chance.

But when I discuss football with other diehards i.e. 49er fans.....I let 'em know that IT was THE STEELERS that stopped your undefeated run in 1984. And when those former Dolphin players and the one 'coach' talks football I am sure they DO remember the Bears getting beat by the '85 Dolphins. I'm almost willing to bet that some of those Hall of Famer Dolphins were at the game whe the Bears lost.

But Dog??? Can you agree on one thing that as a team, why should you want to go into a game with the mindset of "Oh well we can lose this one but come playoff time we'll turn it on!" I know that any regular season game is'nt a Superbowl and IT was dumb for some of those Raven players to even say that. But the sweet thing about football...every regular season game counts. Especially if you are trying to gain momentum, get a playoff spot, or establish a winning tradition.

Now ask yourself why are the Patriots appraching this game as them almost needing to win. Playing their starters in a meaninless game can be thought of as: 1. "Hey we want 16-0 to establish momentum, crush the opponent, and let the league know we are REAL" or they can say 2. "Ahhh, who cares about this game, we can turn on our 'switch' in the playoffs and win the BIG one anyway". I think they are going with option 1.

So if the league doesn't care, fans don't care, or we shouldn't care what happens in this game...why aren't the Patriots approaching this last game with "intelligence" and just playing it out...? Why? Because Bill and the team WANT TO GO undefeated. But at what "intelligent" cost? Risking injury to a Rodney Harrison? Risking a ankle sprain to Moss? Risking an injury to Tom's throwing hand? Who knows?

But when I discuss football with other diehards i.e. 49er fans.....I let 'em know that IT was THE STEELERS that stopped your undefeated run in 1984. And when those former Dolphin players and the one 'coach' talks football I am sure they DO remember the Bears getting beat by the '85 Dolphins. I'm almost willing to bet that some of those Hall of Famer Dolphins were at the game whe the Bears lost.

But Dog??? Can you agree on one thing that as a team, why should you want to go into a game with the mindset of "Oh well we can lose this one but come playoff time we'll turn it on!" I know that any regular season game is'nt a Superbowl and IT was dumb for some of those Raven players to even say that. But the sweet thing about football...every regular season game counts. Especially if you are trying to gain momentum, get a playoff spot, or establish a winning tradition.

Now ask yourself why are the Patriots appraching this game as them almost needing to win. Playing their starters in a meaninless game can be thought of as: 1. "Hey we want 16-0 to establish momentum, crush the opponent, and let the league know we are REAL" or they can say 2. "Ahhh, who cares about this game, we can turn on our 'switch' in the playoffs and win the BIG one anyway". I think they are going with option 1.

So if the league doesn't care, fans don't care, or we shouldn't care what happens in this game...why aren't the Patriots approaching this last game with "intelligence" and just playing it out...? Why? Because Bill and the team WANT TO GO undefeated. But at what "intelligent" cost? Risking injury to a Rodney Harrison? Risking a ankle sprain to Moss? Risking an injury to Tom's throwing hand? Who knows?

The 98 Giants/Broncos game gets mentioned once ina while with good friends by me. I told my friends brother the Giants would win that game. When I see him he always brings it up. If the Giants win this game, in a couple years it'll be an answer to a trivia question, an few will remember or care, but Giants fans always will.

Good point(s)...The Dog completely agrees that you do not go into a game with the mindset of losing...but you do so at this stage intelligently...play your starters that are healthy, and the ones that are dinged, but limit the action to a degree...if the Giants beat the Patriots but lose any of the following for the playoffs: Jacobs, Osi, Pierce, Strahan...then all will be in an uproar over losing players in a meaningless game...

The Patriots mindset for this game should be different then the Giants - they are taking a shot at a record (and of lesser importance, they have a bye and a week to rest dinged players, and the fact is they have depth and have won Super Bowls before with numerous key injuries...the Giant's don't have that luxary)...the game is meaningless in the end should the Patriots lose in the playoffs or Super Bowl, but of course this game has more meaning to them...the fact is, Super Bowls count. The Patriots will gladly give up an undefeated season to win the Super Bowl in the end...After the Giants game in '98, the Broncos to a player all said that going undefeated would have been a great thing, but losing that game was at the time, the best thing that happened to them...the pressure subsided and they were able to focus on what was truely important - winning the Super Bowl...

i know the 49ers for sure. i was supposed to go to that game but my train hit a MNF staff bus (killed one crew member) and I never made it till 2nd half. and i guess buffalo was the 2nd.

Yeah, lost to the Bills in the Superbowl decider and Simms got hurt in that game.

The Patriots mindset for this game should be different then the Giants - they are taking a shot at a record (and of lesser importance, they have a bye and a week to rest dinged players, and the fact is they have depth and have won Super Bowls before with numerous key injuries...the Giant's don't have that luxary)...the game is meaningless in the end should the Patriots lose in the playoffs or Super Bowl, but of course this game has more meaning to them...the fact is, Super Bowls count. The Patriots will gladly give up an undefeated season to win the Super Bowl in the end...After the Giants game in '98, the Broncos to a player all said that going undefeated would have been a great thing, but losing that game was at the time, the best thing that happened to them...the pressure subsided and they were able to focus on what was truely important - winning the Super Bowl...

Now if the Patriots have so much depth, isn't it fair to say that they could rest key guys i.e. Brady, Moss, Harrison and Welker and STILL beat the Giants...go 16-0...and then go into the playoffs healthy? My thing is they are making such a big whoop about the Giants team wanting to play starters....but BOTH teams seem to be taking the field with starters. Now another thought here is IF Brady got hurt vs the Giants and was to miss the rest of the playoffs...could the Pats go all the way without him? No one in the media brings that up. It seems like the media (and some fans) want the Pats to have the full starters out there as to insure the "perfect" season.