SportsWrath

PLAY TO WIN THE DAMN GAME

Nas

I don't know if anyone here agrees but I don't like the idea of not taking this game seriously. Deep down inside I want us to beat the Pats... go into our game with the Bucs with the momentum. I think we can do it without Plax being in the line up.. he's been less than average anyway..

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12252007/sport...4054.htm?page=0

December 25, 2007 -- AS The Great Giant Debate begins to rage, Tom Coughlin tries to walk the treacherous tightrope between defending Giants Stadium from the march of history Saturday night against the 15-0 Patriots and giving his team the best possible chance to win a wild-card playoff game the following week in Tampa.

"I'm not gonna be quoted on any of that at this point in time," Coughlin said. "It's kind of a difficult thing for me to even talk about. We want to win every game.

"I'll have some thoughts on what I want to do, but I want our team ready to go."

MORE: Best For Team, Or For League?

The dream scenario for Giants fans would be the Giants taking a defend-the-Alamo approach against the Patriots without jeopardizing the playoffs.

The nightmare scenario for Giants fans would be the Giants laying down against the Patriots, losing their edge and then laying an egg against the Buccaneers.

I say to hell with worrying about next week this week. The playoffs started in Buffalo. The Buc stops here. With Bill Belichick and Tom Brady coming to town . . . Don't Be Patsies!

Go for it.

Play to win the damn game. This Giants team has performed miserably at home, and Giants fans deserve some holiday cheer.

Play to win the damn game. Remember what Bill Parcells always used to say: As long as they keep score, he was going to try to win.

Play to win the damn game. The integrity of the league matters.

Play to win the damn game. If the Giants somehow shock the world, it would give them the momentum they'd need to conquer the NFC. It also would send a message to the Patriots in the unlikely event of a Giants-Patriots Super Bowl XLII rematch. By contrast, a lollygaging no-show could serve as a blow to the team's collective psyche.

Play to win the damn game. On the day he was hired, Coughlin talked about the restoration of Giant Pride. How do you let Randy Moss catch his 22nd and 23rd touchdown passes and break Jerry Rice's single-season record without offering resistance? In The House That LT Built?

Bucs coach Jon Gruden already has started resting starters? He might start Luke McCown over Jeff Garcia against the Panthers? Let him. It is not without risk. Go back two years, when the Chargers beat the 13-0 Colts, and Tony Dungy took his pedal off the metal. The Colts were so rusty they lost their divisional playoff game to Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers at the RCA Dome.

Sick bay leave? "I'll spend some time thinking about that in conjunction with our medical people," Coughlin said. If Brandon Jacobs has any kind of ankle issue ("It doesn't appear to be too bad," according to Coughlin) it probably wouldn't be prudent to give him the ball 25 times, especially now that we've seen what rookie Ahmad Bradshaw can do.

Plaxico Burress? If the bye week didn't help his ankle, what makes anyone think a week off now would help? Eli Manning? I'd say he needs the work.

"We need to play at our very, very best, and that's where I would start," Coughlin said.

And that's where he should finish.

Belichick, the spy who came in from the cold, won't let up, especially now that he is returning to the scene of the crime of Spygate. Brady has thrown 48 TD passes; two more and he would break Peyton Manning's single-season record (Talk to the defense, Eli, talk to the defense). Here's what this means: The Giants run the risk of being embarrassed nationally if they don't draw a line in the sand and make a stand. Or getting injured.

"Their pass rush, they're as good as anybody at that in the league," Belichick said yesterday.

He blows kisses to the opponent every week. Prove it to him.

Belichick was asked about the challenges of managing a week like this one, so close to 16-0.

"Well, this is the last game, so from that standpoint, right now there isn't another game," he said. "We don't know who it would be against, so this is a good team to focus on. They are a good football team, they're a playoff team, and they're a tough physical team that we saw earlier in the year and had some exposure to in preseason. I don't think we'll have any trouble getting our attention, any of our attention, players, coaches or anybody against the Giants."

Don't be Patsies.

Be Giants.

What a horrible article.

House that LT built? Come on can't you come up with something original, or something that even makes sense?

And how is playing Plax on his bum ankle in anyway a good idea? How Mr Serby do you know that the bye week didn't help his ankle? What is there to gain by playing Plax? And why should Jacobs get rest but not Plax?

First, you should be banned for posting a Serby article. He's a worthless hack who does nothing but stir shit up about the Giants cause he hates the team beyond belief. Why don't you go quoting Francessa too while your at it?

Second, of course you play to win the game. If you don't and you take it easy, injuries happen. But you don't shoot yourself in the foot. Plax & Jacobs have no business being in the game. Play the other starters for a half and that's it. F the press and F history. The only thing that matters now is a Superbowl ring. Period.

Outside of the playing Plax and Jacobs parts of the article, I agree with him.

A win would be a HUGE momentum boost to a team who really needs one right now. "We just derailed the best team in the NFL... WE made NFL history, not them." I can understand resting starters too... I just feel that for a game that "doesn't mean anything," you'll probably never find one that means more.

Rest Plax and Jacobs if they need it. Everyone else, go out and win a football game.

A win would be a HUGE momentum boost to a team who really needs one right now. "We just derailed the best team in the NFL... WE made NFL history, not them." I can understand resting starters too... I just feel that for a game that "doesn't mean anything," you'll probably never find one that means more.

Rest Plax and Jacobs if they need it. Everyone else, go out and win a football game.

Not that I think we are going, but I'd rather have a shot at the Pats in the SB. Trying to beat them now, is only going to beat us up, and lessen our chances of beating Tampa.

Right on.

The Giants, specifically Coughlin, are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

The NY media will jump on him if he pulls starters early, and they will vilify him if he keeps them in and someone gets hurt.

i say, play to win, but be smart. If it's 21-3 Pats at halftime, pull the effin starters!

The Giants, specifically Coughlin, are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

The NY media will jump on him if he pulls starters early, and they will vilify him if he keeps them in and someone gets hurt.

i say, play to win, but be smart. If it's 21-3 Pats at halftime, pull the effin starters!

I think Coughlin will take it up with the Owners and management. He'll say that he's conflicted. They'll tell him they wouldn't mind if he plays his starters and win the game.. and whatever happens happens. Knowing he's got the green light, he'll play to win...

If we win, everyone will be happy... and if we lose, some fans will get really pissed at him for not resting his players. I won't. I don't want the Pats to get to 16-0 at our expense.

I think Coughlin will take it up with the Owners and management. He'll say that he's conflicted. They'll tell him they wouldn't mind if he plays his starters and win the game.. and whatever happens happens. Knowing he's got the green light, he'll play to win...

If we win, everyone will be happy... and if we lose, some fans will get really pissed at him for not resting his players. I won't. I don't want the Pats to get to 16-0 at our expense.

I'd love to see the Giants knock them off, but at what cost? If we win, and Jacobs, or Strahan, Umenyiora are lost for Tampa Bay, is it really worth it?

It's a tough call, and I'm glad I'm not TC this week!

I'd love to see the Giants knock them off, but at what cost? If we win, and Jacobs, or Strahan, Umenyiora are lost for Tampa Bay, is it really worth it?

It's a tough call, and I'm glad I'm not TC this week!

Well, injuries are part of the game. I don't think TC has any pressure. It's a no-brainer he'd discuss this with the front office and they decision will be theirs... collectively. I don't think we should fear new injuries.. sure, let's rest our injured players.. it's not like Plax has been unstoppable anyway. If Jacobs is 100%, he plays.. otherwise, he sits.. let Droughens do the heavy lifting... to set up Bradshaw.

Well, injuries are part of the game. I don't think TC has any pressure. It's a no-brainer he'd discuss this with the front office and they decision will be theirs... collectively. I don't think we should fear new injuries.. sure, let's rest our injured players.. it's not like Plax has been unstoppable anyway. If Jacobs is 100%, he plays.. otherwise, he sits.. let Droughens do the heavy lifting... to set up Bradshaw.

They really should just be cautious about it. Play to win, play the starters, but don't treat it like a must win playoff game and keep them in if it starts to get out of hand.

But oh boy, wouldn't it be awesome if we won this game??!!

I think they should bring up the entire practice squad and play all the second teamers.... If the Pats were not 15-0 no one would even think about playing the starters in this game.

Sit everyone! Treat it like a bye week and be fresh for the playoffs..... Who knows maybe some 2nd teamers take it as a challenge and bust their asses and win the game?

The Giants did what they had to do and they only have to answer to themselves. 15 other teams had a similar responsibility to beat the Pats and couldn't. The Giants should do what they have to to ensure their best chance in the playoffs. If Jacobs got hurt, or Strahan, or any other starter, then Coughlin would be hung out to dry by everyone here.

It just so happens that this game may mean more to the Giants reputation than the wildcard game. I, for one would not blame Coughlin if anyone got hurt. I didn't blame Fassel when sehorn got hurt. (I did blame him for treating special teams like an adopted stepchild after that). i say go balls out for the first half- if the game starts getting away, don't push it. if you're in reach, go for it.

It just so happens that this game may mean more to the Giants reputation than the wildcard game. I, for one would not blame Coughlin if anyone got hurt. I didn't blame Fassel when sehorn got hurt. (I did blame him for treating special teams like an adopted stepchild after that). i say go balls out for the first half- if the game starts getting away, don't push it. if you're in reach, go for it.

What matters for the Giants rep is that we are not hearing once again, how Eli/ Coughlin/ Giants in that manner, could not get out of the first round of the playoffs. We did our job, and not only that we already know who we are playing in the first round, so we have an added advantage over other teams in that we have 2 weeks to prepare and not one, makes me feel like that this game is a waste, plain and simple. If Coughlin plays the reserves on Saturday, I for one will pat Coughlin on the back and thank him.

I think they should bring up the entire practice squad and play all the second teamers.... If the Pats were not 15-0 no one would even think about playing the starters in this game.

Sit everyone! Treat it like a bye week and be fresh for the playoffs..... Who knows maybe some 2nd teamers take it as a challenge and bust their asses and win the game?

I disagree. I think we should rest the injured players only. This is our SB. If we win this game we go into the playoffs with momentum. Besides, when was the last time the Giants came out "fresh" after a bye week or a week off?

I agree about not playing all the starters, but one thing about that has me worried.

We always play like shit after a bye.

Exactly my point. We have nothing to lose by playing our starters anyway.. if anyone gets injured, so fucking be it. It's what it is.

:flex:

Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks we should play our best game. This is our SB.. on national TV.. 3 channels... everyone except for NE fans will be rooting for us... even Eagles and Dallas' fans. And we're the underdog.

:flex:

Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks we should play our best game. This is our SB.. on national TV.. 3 channels... everyone except for NE fans will be rooting for us... even Eagles and Dallas' fans. And we're the underdog.

No, thank God your not calling the shots. This is NOT our super bowl. There is a real super bowl in about a month, that we have as good a shot to get to as any team in the NFC. So be it if a starter gets injured?????? In a game that means absolutly nothing, win or lose???? If we are going to make a run in the playoffs, we are going to need everyone healthy as possible.

Its obvious you think we have no chance to go to the real SB, so what makes you think we have a chance in hell of beating the Pats?

No, thank God your not calling the shots. This is NOT our super bowl. There is a real super bowl in about a month, that we have as good a shot to get to as any team in the NFC. So be it if a starter gets injured?????? In a game that means absolutly nothing, win or lose???? If we are going to make a run in the playoffs, we are going to need everyone healthy as possible.

Its obvious you think we have no chance to go to the real SB, so what makes you think we have a chance in hell of beating the Pats?

No. I think the road to the SB goes thru Saturday Night's game. I don't want the history books to list the Giants as one of the teams the Pats mauled on their way to destiny. The shit is, people get hurt when they're afraid to get hurt. I say rest Plax (not becasue I believe he's injured anyway).. but rest him anyway... he's not been that great anyway)

BJ's injury is healed.. he practiced.. a little bruise in the ankle doesn't stop an athlete.. and in 2 or 3 days it's fully healed. Play to win the game. That's my opinion and we can agree to disagree.