SportsWrath

When was the Last Time Our D was this good?

BurnThePhilFans

Man.... I am 22 years old and have not missed a Giants game since I was 8. I have never seen them have a defense that has played this well over the course of a year. We are consistently holding teams to less than 20 points and our corners and d backs have not been a problem all year. We have 3 guys who will have more than 10 sacks at the end of the year and the D has become the stronger part of our team. Who woulda thought... way to go spags!!!

Man.... I am 22 years old and have not missed a Giants game since I was 8. I have never seen them have a defense that has played this well over the course of a year. We are consistently holding teams to less than 20 points and our corners and d backs have not been a problem all year. We have 3 guys who will have more than 10 sacks at the end of the year and the D has become the stronger part of our team. Who woulda thought... way to go spags!!!

1990 (1991 SB win)

I'll give some credit to the secondary, they made McNabb hold onto the ball too long the whole game. But this was one of the worst tackling performances I've ever seen.

I don't know, Mcnabb is hard to bring down. Westbrook is a fucking star...those were the only two guys I saw them having a hard time bringing down and most the time, they contained Mcnabb anyway and no harm was done. The secondary played excellent. Who would have though that Sam Madison would be our MVP in the Dbackfield this year!?

And who would have thought we'd put two scrubs back there at the safety position and there'd be no drop off at all?

I can't wait for Gibril to get back though and I honestly think we draft a FS early on this year, too, but still.

I don't know, Mcnabb is hard to bring down. Westbrook is a fucking star...those were the only two guys I saw them having a hard time bringing down and most the time, they contained Mcnabb anyway and no harm was done. The secondary played excellent. Who would have though that Sam Madison would be our MVP in the Dbackfield this year!?

And who would have thought we'd put two scrubs back there at the safety position and there'd be no drop off at all?

I can't wait for Gibril to get back though and I honestly think we draft a FS early on this year, too, but still.

I saw missed tackles on most every play. Even on kick returns. I know McNabb and Westbrook are hard to bring down, but thats why you practice. They should expect those guys to be hard to bring down, and wrap up instead of going for a big hit, which i saw countless times on Mcnabb. We lost at least 3 sacks because he escaped the first guy. Thats unacceptable. We do that against the likes of Brady, Hasslebeck, Romo or whoever we face in the playoffs, we lose the game. We cannot give away second chances..

The secondary played well, mcNabb was SEARCHING for open guys all day, but we still gave away oportunities.

A healthy McNabb is WAY more elusive than a Brady or Hasselbeck. And I would say he's more slippery than Romo as well.

They made that offense totally ineffective. Other than the first series, this game was close because of Jacob's 2 fumbles, not missed tackles.

I don't know about that part. Our D backfield is still our weakness. Our pass rush seems to cover that. TO has his way with the Giants and Green Bay shredded us also.

We need one more solid CB either via draft or Free agency to compliment Ross. I wasn't worried when they said both our starting safeties were out because the new guys couldn't possibly be worse. I saw flashes from Johnson last week and i thought both him and Dahl played very well.

As far as your question as to when was th elast time our D was this good, I'd have to just say.. John Fox :) It was our O that sucked balls.

A healthy McNabb is WAY more elusive than a Brady or Hasselbeck. And I would say he's more slippery than Romo as well.

They made that offense totally ineffective. Other than the first series, this game was close because of Jacob's 2 fumbles, not missed tackles.

The 2nd fumble put a bad end to otherwise superb run. Man It was great seeing him rumble. He needs to learn how to hold the ball tight under all circumstances..

And Plax needs to tuck the ball also.

I saw missed tackles on most every play. Even on kick returns. I know McNabb and Westbrook are hard to bring down, but thats why you practice. They should expect those guys to be hard to bring down, and wrap up instead of going for a big hit, which i saw countless times on Mcnabb. We lost at least 3 sacks because he escaped the first guy. Thats unacceptable. We do that against the likes of Brady, Hasslebeck, Romo or whoever we face in the playoffs, we lose the game. We cannot give away second chances..

The secondary played well, mcNabb was SEARCHING for open guys all day, but we still gave away oportunities.

It really doesn't matter how many times you miss Mcnabb as long as the pursuit and coverage are there, which they were. Case in point, Craig Dahl coming up the middle.

I don't know about that part. Our D backfield is still our weakness. Our pass rush seems to cover that. TO has his way with the Giants and Green Bay shredded us also.

We need one more solid CB either via draft or Free agency to compliment Ross. I wasn't worried when they said both our starting safeties were out because the new guys couldn't possibly be worse. I saw flashes from Johnson last week and i thought both him and Dahl played very well.

As far as your question as to when was th elast time our D was this good, I'd have to just say.. John Fox :) It was our O that sucked balls.

Gibril Wilson is wayyyy better than Michael Johnson, Craig Dahl, and James Butler combined.

It really doesn't matter how many times you miss Mcnabb as long as the pursuit and coverage are there, which they were. Case in point, Craig Dahl coming up the middle.

One more time for the slow people, against a 5-7 team, you can get away with that, lets see what happens when we play a team that has a QB that knows what to do with those second chance.

I'm well aware of what McNabb USED to be, anyone here believe he's the same player he was 5 years ago? ???? didn't think so.

The socondary did a good job, big props covering Kevin Curtis and LJ Smith guys. :unsure:

The McNabb of three years ago looks upfield and throws a 16 yard strike to Greg Lewis after avoiding Craig Dahl. He doesn't stutter step for two yards on third and long like he did today.

He's obviously missing something and his agressiveness has went down the drain.

One more time for the slow people, against a 5-7 team, you can get away with that, lets see what happens when we play a team that has a QB that knows what to do with those second chance.

I'm well aware of what McNabb USED to be, anyone here believe he's the same player he was 5 years ago? ???? didn't think so.

The socondary did a good job, big props covering Kevin Curtis and LJ Smith guys. :unsure:

Mcnabb was healthy today. A healthy Mcnabb is still an elusive Mcnabb.

Well, I'll concentrate while posting this. <_<

That 5-7 team still had wild card hopes--not unreasonable, since other than Minnesota (as of today), we're the only team in the conference with a winning record not leading a division.

How many of these QB's that know what to do with that second chance are able to get to that second chance?

McNabb was just fine last year before his injury. He had some insane numbers and looked like a world-beater despite losing his last two games. So I'm not really sure why we have to go back 5 years to see him play well, especially since he took his team to the SB THREE years ago.

LJ Smith has done his share of damage against us in the past, and they've managed to kick our ass with the likes of Thrash and Pinkston as wide-outs, so yeah, big props to two rookies.

I really don't know why we can't just be happy with our defense keeping a team to 13 points, despite having the Eagles start a series on our own 8 yard line. These guys have been playing over their depth for most of the season, and bitching over a win like this is really pretty ridiculous.

If you want to complain, talk about our oline deciding to take the first quarter off. Or Brandon Jacobs emulating the wrong Tiki Barber.

Its a combination of playing guys who are hungry; good coaching; and putting Corey Webster's scarecrow ass so far down the depth chart that he has to take a separate bus to get to the games. As Randoff put it 90-91; but you might add the last year LT was playing in 93. That was the last year that my butt would not clinch when the defense was out there against the top teams.

Vg's under the mis-assumption that Mcnabb is no longer good.

Now is he good, or decent? And you're right, McNabb isn't what he used to be, he's not bad by any stretch, but a few years ago those "coverage sacks" don't happen causeMcNabb would have either A: Found someone open, or B: took off with the ball and ran the fucking thing in himself. I saw a man elude the defenders, and hobble to the sidelines waiting for someone to throw up a 7-11 sign.

I never meant to bash our D, they played exceptionally well, you were the one who took a simple, yet truthfull comment about missed tackles, and made me out to be a Giants D hater. So if thats what I was gonna be, I decided i would be that.

Fish, Peyton, Brees, Romo Palmer etc can all side step an over pursuing defensive lineman or linebacker by stepping to the side, like i saw McNabb do at least twice yesterday. It's not the roll out plays, its the blitz right up the middle that McNabb just took a step to his right or left while the defender ran 5 yards past him.

Or the angles out guys were taking yesterday, watch the replay on the end around that started the game, the first defender to Westbrook took about a bad an angle to the ball carrier as i've ever seen.

And its not that I want to complain, I've said i'm happy with the team performance as a whole, O and D. I was just trying to point out that singaling out Eli's shortcomings yesterday and giving the D a break isn't fair. Eli had a couiple bad throws, well, the D completely whiffed on the ball carrier a few times.

Storm says we could have had 24 points if Eli makes a few throws. Well, if the D makes some of the plays they are supposed to make, we would have had a shutout.

Its a combination of playing guys who are hungry; good coaching; and putting Corey Webster's scarecrow ass so far down the depth chart that he has to take a separate bus to get to the games. As Randoff put it 90-91; but you might add the last year LT was playing in 93. That was the last year that my butt would not clinch when the defense was out there against the top teams.

:clap: