SportsWrath

Ross signs for five years

Dragon

ESPN.com

The New York Giants reached a contract agreement with first-round cornerback Aaron Ross on Thursday.

Ross will sign a five-year contract with a maximum value of about $13.5 million.

Ross, the 20th overall prospect chosen in the draft, should quickly compete for significant roles on both defense and special teams.

Despite being just a one-year starter at Texas, Ross is viewed as an impact defender, and he dramatically enhanced his stock at the predraft combine workouts. Ross was timed at 4.44 seconds in the 40-yard dash, one of the fastest times of any of the players in Indianapolis, and also had a 34-inch vertical jump.

In addition to his speed, Ross has prototype cornerback size (6-feet-0½, 193 pounds), and scouts feel he can gain another 10-12 pounds without sacrificing any quickness. Beyond his coverage skills, Ross is considered a tough hitter who will not shy away from supporting the run, though some teams felt Ross didn't always play as quick as his 40-time indicated.

For his college career, Ross totaled 205 tackles, five tackles for losses, 10 interceptions, 33 passes defensed, three forced fumbles and two recoveries in 51 appearances, with 15 starts. The bulk of that production came in 2006, when Ross started all 13 games and registered 80 tackles, six interceptions and 19 pass deflections.

Ross also averaged 11.8 yards on 76 returns in college and scored three touchdowns.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

That means that all rookies are signed and WILL be in camp on time. :clap::rock::TU::flex:

Wow, I guess you gotta take the big money when you can get it and I know 13.5 is good money, but the guy is going to be almost 31 when that contract runs out and unless he restructures around year 3, he's risking a big payday down the line.

Wow, I guess you gotta take the big money when you can get it and I know 13.5 is good money, but the guy is going to be almost 31 when that contract runs out and unless he restructures around year 3, he's risking a big payday down the line.

If he plays well he will without a doubt try to get a new deal a few years down the road.

If you can't make 8 million guaranteed over 5 years work for you you have big problems. Not that a lot of these guys don't blow it though.

great to see everyone got signed.

Excellent news. Hopefully Strahan doesn't hold out and we can have 100% attendance right from the start.

I highly doubt Strahan is going to hold out. For one, he's bound by a contract he signed and I still recall how tough those negotiations were as he was paid most of the money in the earlier years of his contract.... and secondly... if he doesn't show up, he doesn't get paid...

I know Strahan went thru a lot with his divorce case but a man's finances is his personal business.. and responsibility.

He is banging her.

As far as Strahans contract goes he signed the deal. Is he underpaid for his talent in todays market? Yes. But that is a risk you take when you sign a long-term deal. You get a bigger signing bonus and more guaranteed money but you are locked in.

The whole "Holding out for more money" aspect of contract negotiations makes no sense to me. You signed a contract man up and live by it. And don't come back at me with "Well a team can cut you anytime they want" cause that is in their contracts.

He is banging her.

As far as Strahans contract goes he signed the deal. Is he underpaid for his talent in todays market? Yes. But that is a risk you take when you sign a long-term deal. You get a bigger signing bonus and more guaranteed money but you are locked in.

The whole "Holding out for more money" aspect of contract negotiations makes no sense to me. You signed a contract man up and live by it. And don't come back at me with "Well a team can cut you anytime they want" cause that is in their contracts.

This is bullshit from Mike, as it was a few years ago when he did it. Like you said, he knew what he was signing, and he knew what could happen if his play progressed and salaries for comparable positions did too. And iM sure the retirement thing is a ploy to get more money, and what a shitty time to do it. No wonder he dont give autographs, prick.