SportsWrath

People are so stupid, it's mind boggling.

Sephiroth

This from NFL.com:

Brandon Jacobs, RB, N.Y. Giants: At 6-4-plus and 267 pounds, Jacobs is built more for power than endurance.(Guess this guy hasn't actually ever seen Jacobs. There's not an inch of fat on him.) He excels as a short-yardage and goal-line force, which made him a perfect complement to the explosive Tiki Barber. With Barber retired, Jacobs will be asked to carry the ball more often and be productive in situations other than those that involve moving a pile. It could be a problem, given that he is not particularly patient about letting his blocks form and his general lack of elusiveness.(I've seen him outrun guys, juke guys, and more importantly... run over guys. He breaks tackles, period.) Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride already is on record as saying he is concerned about whether Jacobs has the stamina to carry the ball 20-25 times through a full season. Reuben Droughns, acquired in a trade with Cleveland, will also see some carries. But the Giants want Jacobs to perform well enough in the featured role that he won't need to split much time.

God damn, people are dumb. It wasn't too long ago that the Emmit Smiths, Barry Sanders' and Tiki Barbers of the world were "too small" to be an "every down" back. Now Jacobs is "too big" to be an every-downer... just like Larry Johnson and some guy named Jerome Bettis had horrible careers as big backs. For fuck's sake... SMALL backs get worn down... BIG backs wear a DEFENSE down... especially today's defenses that are SMALL and built for speed.

I can remember a guy who played for the Giants and wore #27 going to more than a few Pro Bowls... and playing alongside Emmit Smith and Barry Sanders for years at a time. His YPC average went UP in every quarter as guys got tired of tackling him... and he could run over or around you. Jacobs reminds me a lot of that guy.

Nobody seems to notice that this kid can play. Pro Bowl for Jacobs this year... write it down. And the finger to all the stat monkeys and armchair quarterbacks who don't know their ass from their elbow.

This from NFL.com:

God damn, people are dumb. It wasn't too long ago that the Emmit Smiths, Barry Sanders' and Tiki Barbers of the world were "too small" to be an "every down" back. Now Jacobs is "too big" to be an every-downer... just like Larry Johnson and some guy named Jerome Bettis had horrible careers as big backs. For fuck's sake... SMALL backs get worn down... BIG backs wear a DEFENSE down... especially today's defenses that are SMALL and built for speed.

I can remember a guy who played for the Giants and wore #27 going to more than a few Pro Bowls... and playing alongside Emmit Smith and Barry Sanders for years at a time. His YPC average went UP in every quarter as guys got tired of tackling him... and he could run over or around you. Jacobs reminds me a lot of that guy.

Nobody seems to notice that this kid can play. Pro Bowl for Jacobs this year... write it down. And the finger to all the stat monkeys and armchair quarterbacks who don't know their ass from their elbow.

What I find funny about it, Jacobs is FASTER than Tiki, and more POWERFUL than the bus. This kid could be looking at top 5 easy. Haters wanna hate I guess

As with most cases, individuals can only report on what they have seen...The Dog contends that Jacobs has potential, but it is a fact that nobody, including the Giant's staff, can ensure that he can carry the load as the number one back (enter the move to obtain Drougns)...Your reference to Rodney Hampton is noted, but the Dog could cite Tyrone Wheatly and Ron Dayne as backs that appeared to have all the tools to be explosive power backs that would easily grind away at defenses, but we all no how that went...it was no too long ago that everyone was jazzed up about "thunder and lightening"...there are no guarentees...

As with most cases, individuals can only report on what they have seen...The Dog contends that Jacobs has potential, but it is a fact that nobody, including the Giant's staff, can ensure that he can carry the load as the number one back (enter the move to obtain Drougns)...Your reference to Rodney Hampton is noted, but the Dog could cite Tyrone Wheatly and Ron Dayne as backs that appeared to have all the tools to be explosive power backs that would easily grind away at defenses, but we all no how that went...it was no too long ago that everyone was jazzed up about "thunder and lightening"...there are no guarentees...

Actually, Ron Dayne was doing fine until Fassel started limiting his playing time. He gained 800 yds his rookie season behind a 1,000 yd rusher(Tiki of course).

Just thought Id throw that out there.

Actually, Ron Dayne was doing fine until Fassel started limiting his playing time. He gained 800 yds his rookie season behind a 1,000 yd rusher(Tiki of course).

Just thought Id throw that out there.

Super...so are you assuming that the Jacobs experiment will be the opposite, since he started out with limited playing time? The Dog still has to assert the fact that Jacobs is unproven as an everydown back...potentially he could do it, but if the Dog had a nickel for everytime a "player with potentail" didn't pan out, there would be no more reasons for the Dog to have to hold fund raisers for the Nevisian Green Monkeys...

Super...so are you assuming that the Jacobs experiment will be the opposite, since he started out with limited playing time? The Dog still has to assert the fact that Jacobs is unproven as an everydown back...potentially he could do it, but if the Dog had a nickel for everytime a "player with potential" didn't pan out, there would be no more reasons for the Dog to have to hold fund raisers for the Nevisian Green Monkeys...

I hear what the Dog is saying and their is definitely that cockeyed optimism on this MB (ahhh.. remember the calls for a spectacular 12-4 season last year). Only time will tell if BJack can carry the load for a full season or whether he will tire out before defenses do. I think he will be good but I doubt he gets much more than 1,000 yards (which is great as far as I am concerned).

I hear what the Dog is saying and their is definitely that cockeyed optimism on this MB (ahhh.. remember the calls for a spectacular 12-4 season last year). Only time will tell if BJack can carry the load for a full season or whether he will tire out before defenses do. I think he will be good but I doubt he gets much more than 1,000 yards (which is great as far as I am concerned).

The Italian Hotdog finds you to be a realist, which is a somewhat refreshing approach...

Super...so are you assuming that the Jacobs experiment will be the opposite, since he started out with limited playing time? The Dog still has to assert the fact that Jacobs is unproven as an everydown back...potentially he could do it, but if the Dog had a nickel for everytime a "player with potentail" didn't pan out, there would be no more reasons for the Dog to have to hold fund raisers for the Nevisian Green Monkeys...

Uhhhhh, no.

I just stated that Ron got that many yds his rookie year. Thats it. <_<

But that's just the thing. This guy HASN'T watched enough film of Jacobs, or else he wouldn't say that he "doesn't let blocks develop," or "isn't built for endurance." It's bullshit. People write articles based on the 10 minutes of highlights they see on SportsCenter, that has Jacobs hitting the pile for 2 yards three times a game.

And for the record, I knew Dayne was going to suck from day 1. Jacobs will be a Pro Bowler if he stays healthy.

But that's just the thing. This guy HASN'T watched enough film of Jacobs, or else he wouldn't say that he "doesn't let blocks develop," or "isn't built for endurance." It's bullshit. People write articles based on the 10 minutes of highlights they see on SportsCenter, that has Jacobs hitting the pile for 2 yards three times a game.

And for the record, I knew Dayne was going to suck from day 1. Jacobs will be a Pro Bowler if he stays healthy.

True...the argument goes both ways...for te same reason one can't say that Jacobs won't be successful, one cannot also say that he will be at this stage of the game...in the Dog's mind anyway...

You did?? He gained 800yds behind a 1000+yd rusher his rookie yr while his playing time decreased. This after winning the Heisman. How did you come to the conclusion he was gonna suck?

You did?? He gained 800yds behind a 1000+yd rusher his rookie yr while his playing time decreased. This after winning the Heisman. How did you come to the conclusion he was gonna suck?

I watched him get caught from behind by linebackers in college, and didn't look too nimble or break too many tackles. After 30 or so yards, he'd get winded.

If he was that great, he'd be a starter somewhere now.

I watched him get caught from behind by linebackers in college, and didn't look too nimble or break too many tackles. After 30 or so yards, he'd get winded.

If he was that great, he'd be a starter somewhere now.

Oh, I didnt say he was great, I just thought he'd turn out better due to his accomplishments in college and what looked to be a promising start in the pro's.

He wasnt the fastest chap, thats true. :rolleyes:

Oh, I didnt say he was great, I just thought he'd turn out better due to his accomplishments in college and what looked to be a promising start in the pro's.

He wasnt the fastest chap, thats true. :rolleyes:

his early success was due to the hype. it took lb's a while to slow down enough to tackle him. he was like a pitcher with a slow curve.

his early success was due to the hype. it took lb's a while to slow down enough to tackle him. he was like a pitcher with a slow curve.

LOL, slow curve. Good one. I think it was also the false hopes of "Thunder and Lightning", if he would have been able to hit the holes and not pussyfoot around back there, I think it may have worked to a point.

Can we agree that Dayne (although he weighed 255 pounds) had too much of a 'halfback' mentality? Whereas Jacobs (what little we've seen of him) has a true RUNNINGBACK mentality? Jacobs is much more physical than Dayne ever was. Which leads some of us to believe that Jacobs can get 1000-1100 yds this year. Shit IF Dayne got 800+ yds that year, why can't Jacobs get more?

Can we agree that Dayne (although he weighed 255 pounds) had too much of a 'halfback' mentality? Whereas Jacobs (what little we've seen of him) has a true RUNNINGBACK mentality? Jacobs is much more physical than Dayne ever was. Which leads some of us to believe that Jacobs can get 1000-1100 yds this year. Shit IF Dayne got 800+ yds that year, why can't Jacobs get more?

Hell yeah, Jacobs runs through people, screw the holes. I firmly believe with more carries he'll top the 1,000yd plateau. Good point about the mentality, totally backwards one would think. In the short time we've seen Jacobs, doesnt he remind you of a young Earl Campbell? I just hope is knees dont end up the same way.

Hell yeah, Jacobs runs through people, screw the holes. I firmly believe with more carries he'll top the 1,000yd plateau. Good point about the mentality, totally backwards one would think. In the short time we've seen Jacobs, doesnt he remind you of a young Earl Campbell? I just hope is knees dont end up the same way.

I thought the same thing when I saw Jacobs run for like 12 yds into the end zone...Earl Campbell style. Now when Jacobs runs a little lower (he ran 'high' last yr)....Jacobs will be hell to stop.

Seph, let them doubt. It'll be that much sweeter when Jacobs makes them all look retarded.

Seph, remember I worked in Chicago and read alot about Jacobs while he played for SIU. He averaged 6.7 ypc for his entire collegiate career including his time at Auburn. What many forget about him is he can run. 4.4 or something like that. So when he gets a crease he will go a long way.

No one thought that Rodney Hampton couldn't average almost 5 yards per carry but he did, his size helped him gain those extra yards!

True, and BJ is bigger, stronger and has better natural athletic ability.

in a 16 game season 1000 yards is not the accomplishment it once was. If he can stay healthy he only has to average 62.5 yards a game to hit 1000.

IF he stays healthy and IF he is the feature back of this offense he will get 1000 yards or we are looking into the teeth of a 3-13 season.

I think we will see a different approach from BJ this season. Knowing that he is the man and should expect to touch the ball 20+ times a game, he might step back some of that over-anxious behavior (Not following blockers or over-running them) and work on getting around tacklers instead of just bulldozing them everytime.

I am expecting to see a huge season out of BJ, I just hope I am not setting myself up for a major disapointment. TC is still our head coach you know :furious:

in a 16 game season 1000 yards is not the accomplishment it once was. If he can stay healthy he only has to average 62.5 yards a game to hit 1000.

IF he stays healthy and IF he is the feature back of this offense he will get 1000 yards or we are looking into the teeth of a 3-13 season.

I think we will see a different approach from BJ this season. Knowing that he is the man and should expect to touch the ball 20+ times a game, he might step back some of that over-anxious behavior (Not following blockers or over-running them) and work on getting around tacklers instead of just bulldozing them everytime.

I am expecting to see a huge season out of BJ, I just hope I am not setting myself up for a major disapointment. TC is still our head coach you know :furious:

Off topic question. How do you feel about Tiki talking to the media about TC?

Off topic question. How do you feel about Tiki talking to the media about TC?

I know it wasn't directed to me but I'm answering it anyway. Tiki doesn't need to talk about anything going on with the Giants unless he's covering it in a news report. However, it's not like he's saying anything that's untrue. I don't like Coughlin being the HC of this team. He has a "Do as I say and not as I do" mentality and that is far from good. A good example is when Shockey called out the coaching staff after the Seattle loss and he said we need to keep everything in house, but then after the Titans loss he threw Manning under the bus. I think that's complete garbage. Also it took him until the final game of the season to get rid of Hufnagle when people had been saying that he needed to go for the whole year. His Hitler comment was completely out of line as well. So even though I think that Tiki shouldn't be commenting on a situation that he left and has nothing to do with anymore, more often than not the criticism that Coughlin gets is deserved. I think that it was Mark Schlereth (I think that's how you spell his name) that said it best. "Coughlin wants his team to shut up, then he should lead by example."