SportsWrath

Peter King's MMQB thoughts on the Giants & Eli.

RaginCaucasian

From CNNSI.

I think the best place for Culpepper right now, and the place I'd do anything to get to if I were him, is with the New York Giants. I don't think it's going to happen; Coughlin doesn't want the Culpepper soap opera mucking up his make-or-break season. And the Giants are only $4.5 million under the cap, and they've got to sign their rookie class with most of that money. But I say Culpepper would be well-suited for this team because it'd be a great insurance move for 2008.

The Giants have to know that it's no better than a 50-50 shot that Eli Manning will do enough in this season to enter 2008 as their no-doubt starter, particularly with the prospect of a new coach coming on board to replace Tom Coughlin. And they have to know current backups Anthony Wright and Tim Hasselbeck are just stopgap guys. Why not structure a deal with a small signing bonus that would give the club a chance to pay Culpepper a decent roster bonus in March 2008 if Culpepper is the quarterback of the near future? That way, the G-men could simply release Culpepper if Manning plays well enough to commandeer the job for the future.

So if I read this correctly we should take a chance on a guy who's knee is so bad that he is unlikely to play this season and might possibly be able to play next year..... why? What is so great about Culpepper? Last I checked he acomplished nothing after Moss started to quit on his QB and coaches in Minnesota, so why again would this be a great pickup? Oh, as "viable" Eli insurance? Get off of this guy, he's done. Not only that but how great did he look against the Giants when he had Cris Carter and Randy Moss? Last I checked he didn't even put a point on the board.

So if I read this correctly we should take a chance on a guy who's knee is so bad that he is unlikely to play this season and might possibly be able to play next year..... why? What is so great about Culpepper? Last I checked he acomplished nothing after Moss started to quit on his QB and coaches in Minnesota, so why again would this be a great pickup? Oh, as "viable" Eli insurance? Get off of this guy, he's done. Not only that but how great did he look against the Giants when he had Cris Carter and Randy Moss? Last I checked he didn't even put a point on the board.

:LMAO: NO ONE is writing that the Chargers should sign Culpper because Rivers is a 50-50 starter. :LMAO:

Weak.... like your QB's game after his 4'th or 5'th start.

martin-grammatica-and-tony-romo.jpg

So easy a caveman can do it!

Interesting. No one is suggesting that the Cowboys need Culpepper either... :LMAO:

Maybe, next season the Cowboys will sign Eli as their holder and Coughlin as his personal tutor. Of course, they'll have to earn their jobs. :LMAO:

Interesting. No one is suggesting that the Cowboys need Culpepper either... :LMAO:

Maybe, next season the Cowboys will sign Eli as their holder and Coughlin as his personal tutor. Of course, they'll have to earn their jobs. :LMAO:

You're right, they don't need a starting QB (according to the press who are still all over Homo's junk) they need a holder! See it is easy, even and idiot caveman like you can figure that out! :clap:

Trust me Romo ain't gonna make it through this season, and again you will be out of the playoffs..... that would be no playoff victories in 10 years, something only a Cowboys fan could be proud of. :LMAO: We are the Cowboys champions of media hype and the first 8 weeks of the off-season! LOL! Write it down Francis.

Tony Romo's only accomplishments in the realm of football include:

tony%20carrie.jpg

Getting this stupid whore to see him on the field.

Homo1.jpg

Oooooooopppppsssss! Blame the ballboy!!

That's it, he has done NOTHING..... oooohhhh he won some games.... that's great. Last I checked so did Jason Garrett & Quincy Carter (who took that HOF coach you released to the playoffs too..... same ending though :LMAO: ) trust me sonny, by week 9 you'll be praying that you had either of them as your starter because this guy:

n738190440_216984_5783.jpg

will be crying like the litte bitch he is because your media-hype QB can't get him the ball. Media hype, that's all you got..... hang your hat on it if you want, you will be disappointed again.

You're right, they don't need a starting QB (according to the press who are still all over Homo's junk) they need a holder! See it is easy, even and idiot caveman like you can figure that out! :clap:

Trust me Romo ain't gonna make it through this season, and again you will be out of the playoffs..... that would be no playoff victories in 10 years, something only a Cowboys fan could be proud of. :LMAO: We are the Cowboys champions of media hype and the first 8 weeks of the off-season! LOL! Write it down Francis.

Tony Romo's only accomplishments in the realm of football include:

tony%20carrie.jpg

Getting this stupid whore to see him on the field.

Homo1.jpg

Oooooooopppppsssss! Blame the ballboy!!

That's it, he has done NOTHING..... oooohhhh he won some games.... that's great. Last I checked so did Jason Garrett & Quincy Carter (who took that HOF coach you released to the playoffs too..... same ending though :LMAO: ) trust me sonny, by week 9 you'll be praying that you had either of them as your starter because this guy:

n738190440_216984_5783.jpg

will be crying like the litte bitch he is because your media-hype QB can't get him the ball. Media hype, that's all you got..... hang your hat on it if you want, you will be disappointed again.

Interesting. Romo, a media-hyped player with no talent, took the Cowboys as far in 1/2 a season as Eli has taken the Giants with several years of experience. Do you know what that says about the Giants? It says they'd better sign Culpper. And fast. :clap:

Interesting. Romo, a media-hyped player with no talent, took the Cowboys as far in 1/2 a season as Eli has taken the Giants with several years of experience. Do you know what that says about the Giants? It says they'd better sign Culpper. And fast. :clap:

Romo led his team to a division title, clue me in?

Interesting. Romo, a media-hyped player with no talent, took the Cowboys as far in 1/2 a season as Eli has taken the Giants with several years of experience.

Yeah, several year of experience:

Eli Manning

Carrie Underwood's bag carrier..... I mean Tony Homo.... Sorry.

Last I checked Eli is 1 year younger and with 1 fewer year in the NFL..... not only that Eli won 20 games as a starting QB and won a division title..... not 6 like Mr. Media Hype Carrie Underwood Tony Homo. Get your facts straight & them come talk numbnuts.

Any realistic Giant fan right now, should not be at all happy with our backup QB situation. Anthony Wright should be playing Arena Football, Tim Hasselbach is done, except for he could probably be a decent tutor to Eli and Lorenzen IMO is not a solid QB and anybody who does come to camp at 270 -80 as a QB!, has some serious motivational issues. Culpepper is not ideal, but waht King is suggesting isn't all that bad. If nothing else, it may motivate Eli some more, and that folks is something that has to happen because Eli is way too comfortable with the situation he has right now. Culpepper is way better than what we have at backup right now........way better.

Seriously Bad Egg, have you guys ever considered the notion that Romo only made the field because Bledsoe was struggling. I mean come on, you guys have christened him the second coming to a guy who was 4 years on your roster before he got to start. For all the hype about Eli, the minute someone plays well at QB down there, you guys are having orgasms. He's nothing special, and while some of us up here are realistic about Eli, Dallas fans can't really say the same thing. I think you've got a little "Bobby Hoying" complex right now, so please be prepared, you're QB ain't all that.

Any realistic Giant fan right now, should not be at all happy with our backup QB situation. Anthony Wright should be playing Arena Football, Tim Hasselbach is done, except for he could probably be a decent tutor to Eli and Lorenzen IMO is not a solid QB and anybody who does come to camp at 270 -80 as a QB!, has some serious motivational issues. Culpepper is not ideal, but waht King is suggesting isn't all that bad. If nothing else, it may motivate Eli some more, and that folks is something that has to happen because Eli is way too comfortable with the situation he has right now. Culpepper is way better than what we have at backup right now........way better.

I'm very happy with Lorenzen as our back up. Very.

I don't know why Nas, I'd have some serious concerns about a guy that weight having to move our team downfield on a long drive. In all fairness I think it's ridiculous for a guy to be coming to camp that size. I've seen pictures of Lorenzen, and while some of his weight can be attributed to maybe being big boned, the majority of it is fat. He could lose the fat.

Quite frankly I'm not sure that Culpepper would be of any more use than Lorenzen:

A. Although unproven Lorenzen is healthy, I'm not certian how well he would do in a game that he would be asked to win (he would doubtlessly have growing pains).

B. Despite his 64% career completion percentage Culpepper has been in the league as a starter for 7 years and only played a full season in 3 of them due to poor play or injury. Say we ask him to come in and play to relieve Eli..... only to have him get hurt, then what is the option?

C. He had a career year in 2004 throwing for almost 40 TD's however he is 3 years removed from that and coming off of 3 torn ligaments in his plant knee (his back leg when setting up to throw, where your power comes from). Not somebody worth signing for anything other than the veteran minimum.

:LMAO: NO ONE is writing that the Chargers should sign Culpper because Rivers is a 50-50 starter. :LMAO:

And no one is writing that Eli had as good a team as Rivers had around him. Dumass.

Look, all Homo had to do was hold on to the ball. They had a retarded monkey doin it in practice just the day before, with no problems.

And no one is writing that Eli had as good a team as Rivers had around him. Dumass.

Look, all Homo had to do was hold on to the ball. They had a retarded monkey doin it in practice just the day before, with no problems.

Nobody questioned Eli in his first full year as a starter either, last I checked they praised him and thought that he would be a good QB too. Doesn't hurt that Rivers gets to hand off to the best RB (and possibly the most talented athelete in the league since Lawrence Taylor) since Emmit Smith 25+ times per game.

So it was the "team" around Eli. The excuses people will make to justify this draft blunder mystifies me. As overrated as Plexico is, he is better than any WR Rivers has. And Shockey, the underachiever that he is, is still not a bad option. And although nobody can touch LT, Tiki wasn't a bad running back.

The reason King thinks Culpepper could possibly start in 1 year for the Giants has nothing to do with Eli's supporting cast.

-- It was the "team around Eli" that made him throw the ball to Pacman last year, causing the Giants to lose to the lowly Titans.

-- It was the "team around ELI" that was responsible for his pedestrian passer rating last season. As if Phillip Rivers and J.P. Losman were throwing to Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison all season... :LMAO:

I don't know why Nas, I'd have some serious concerns about a guy that weight having to move our team downfield on a long drive. In all fairness I think it's ridiculous for a guy to be coming to camp that size. I've seen pictures of Lorenzen, and while some of his weight can be attributed to maybe being big boned, the majority of it is fat. He could lose the fat.

Despite what you think, the guy isn't a fat slob. He has quickness to him and when all else fails he can run thru linebackers. he has a very strong arm and a smooth throwing motion. The knock against him is he hasn't played in the NFL as a starter... but hey.. he knows how to play football. QBing comes down to knowing your play book really. And I've never heard of QB collapse because he's out of shape. Offensive linemen exert way more effort and they're much fatter.

I don't think the kid is fat as you think he's.. right underneath the layer of fat are some huge muscles.. the kid is big... you can tell that by the way runs.. fat slobs don't and can't run like he does.

So it was the "team" around Eli. The excuses people will make to justify this draft blunder mystifies me. As overrated as Plexico is, he is better than any WR Rivers has. And Shockey, the underachiever that he is, is still not a bad option. And although nobody can touch LT, Tiki wasn't a bad running back.

The reason King thinks Culpepper could possibly start in 1 year for the Giants has nothing to do with Eli's supporting cast.

-- It was the "team around Eli" that made him throw the ball to Pacman last year, causing the Giants to lose to the lowly Titans.

-- It was the "team around ELI" that was responsible for his pedestrian passer rating last season. As if Phillip Rivers and J.P. Losman were throwing to Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison all season... :LMAO:

LOL..I love when you try to sound like you told someone how it is.... :LMAO:

OK, one more time for your dumass.

So, you're tellin me, that it was nothing more than a draft blunder? Eli is just no good and Rivers is the best thing since Marino? I hope your not that stupid.

No, it wasnt the team around him that made him throw the ball to Pacman, but it was the team around him that lost the big lead. When you have 11 starters out due to injury, things like that can happen. We arent saying Eli is thje best ever yet, but we are saying he's young.

And no, Rivers wasnt throwin to Rice, Harrison etc, but he was throwin to Gates, and Tomlinson( Theres only ONE LT ya schmuck) and handing off to Tomlinson a gazillion times. He also had a top tier HEALTHY defense , that helps.

As for the hint of people who had better passer ratings, its kinda like your boy, If you dont throw alot, you have the chance to obtain a higher passer rating than someone who does. Homo played what, 6 or 7 games? So he could have a better passer rating than someone who played all season, and it doesnt mean he was any better.

He just didnt have as many opportunities to fuck up. And by the playoff games we witnessed against Seattle, he's gonna fuck up alot more! :clap:

LOL..I love when you try to sound like you told someone how it is.... :LMAO:

OK, one more time for your dumass.

So, you're tellin me, that it was nothing more than a draft blunder? Eli is just no good and Rivers is the best thing since Marino? I hope your not that stupid.

No, it wasnt the team around him that made him throw the ball to Pacman, but it was the team around him that lost the big lead. When you have 11 starters out due to injury, things like that can happen. We arent saying Eli is thje best ever yet, but we are saying he's young.

And no, Rivers wasnt throwin to Rice, Harrison etc, but he was throwin to Gates, and Tomlinson( Theres only ONE LT ya schmuck) and handing off to Tomlinson a gazillion times. He also had a top tier HEALTHY defense , that helps.

As for the hint of people who had better passer ratings, its kinda like your boy, If you dont throw alot, you have the chance to obtain a higher passer rating than someone who does. Homo played what, 6 or 7 games? So he could have a better passer rating than someone who played all season, and it doesnt mean he was any better.

He just didnt have as many opportunities to fuck up. And by the playoff games we witnessed against Seattle, he's gonna fuck up alot more! :clap:

I could be wrong, but I thought Burress, Shockey and Barber were all healthy in Tennessee. Hmmmm...

Gosh, with all these injuries why are the writers so hard on poor Eli? :cwy:

Quite frankly I'm not sure that Culpepper would be of any more use than Lorenzen:

A. Although unproven Lorenzen is healthy, I'm not certian how well he would do in a game that he would be asked to win (he would doubtlessly have growing pains).

B. Despite his 64% career completion percentage Culpepper has been in the league as a starter for 7 years and only played a full season in 3 of them due to poor play or injury. Say we ask him to come in and play to relieve Eli..... only to have him get hurt, then what is the option?

C. He had a career year in 2004 throwing for almost 40 TD's however he is 3 years removed from that and coming off of 3 torn ligaments in his plant knee (his back leg when setting up to throw, where your power comes from). Not somebody worth signing for anything other than the veteran minimum.

King's article states signing Culpepper to a contract structured so that most of his money comes as a signing bonus and roster bonus. When you consider the options,and like I said I recognize that he's been hurt a lot, it's not a bad idea. If Eli goes down the first game of the season, no-one should be comfortable with the idea of Anthony Wright or Jared Lorenzen coming off the bench. Culpepper may not have lived up to the hype, but he's streets ahead of those guys.

Even if the Giants don't get Culpepper, they need a more reliable backup QB.

Things going for Eli:

1. Good pedigree

2. Good if not great receivers (Burress, Shockey, Toomer, and Barber)

3. Tiki Barber (In my opinion) was the greatest RB in Giants history and an excellent fallback option when Eli was struggling.

4. Ability to work great in hurry-up offense (he calls his own plays here)

Things going against Eli:

1. Coaching... Coughlin, Hufnagle, and even though he didn't directly effect Eli, Lewis. None of them helped the situation. Coughlin and Hufnagle's nack for sticking to things that don't work and going away from things that do (Jacobs in the Titans game) set the team up for failure. Lewis in his Read and Give Up The Middle Of The Field defense was terrible and had almost everything to do with why our defense couldn't hold a lead or stop an opponent in a big spot... i.e. after a comeback drive by Eli and the offense. It also doesn't help when your coach says that issues need to be kept in house and then throws his QB under the bus after a loss (Titans game). Lead by example, dumbass.

2. Those Good if not great receivers all had issues this past year. Burress (Hurt and having brain farts during games), Toomer (Out for season in the middle of WK 8), Shockey (Hurt ALL SEASON), Barber (Retiring and fighting with the coaching staff ALL SEASON)

3. Tiki Barber, like most of our offensive weapons, wasn't used correctly. Look back to the Jags game and find Tiki's stat line. He had 10 carries and if I remember correctly 13 total touches! WTF is that about!? And if Tiki wasn't having success on the ground in the game, you still have a bigger, stronger, and (amazingly) faster RB in Jacobs. No sense whatsoever to abandon the running game there. Another time was the Colts game. Easy to get caught up in the Manning vs. Manning hype, but you're there to win. Tiki Barber and Brandon Jacobs showed the rest of the league that the Colts couldn't stop the run. Unfortunately, our coaching staff didn't get the message until after the game was already over.

4. Injuries. What the hell? Our injury list was like the entire fuckin roster. Starting LT, WRs, TE, DEs, LBs, RB (Tiki had a broken finger I think), Not to mention that Justin Tuck and Sinorice Moss were out for more than half the season. Amazingly, Tim Carter was the only one to stay healthy, but he didn't take advantage of his opportunities.

Phillip Rivers is a good QB, but could he handle all this crap along with insanely high expectation and the NY media? I seriously doubt it. Could you imagine the Chargers coaching staff only giving Tomlinson 13 touches in a game? Could you imagine his defense letting opponents have 20 yard cushions and the entire middle of the field? Also Rivers has the exact same amount of playoff wins that Eli has... 0.

Don't get me started on that clown on the Steelers.