SportsWrath

Looks like it'll be a reciever

so-cal dub

Amani Toomer will be 33 on Sept. 8, the day before the Giants open the 2007 season. He had reconstructive surgery on the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in November. He said the other day that he's on track to be ready to sprint and cut on the knee by training camp, but can the Giants afford to be patient with their all-time leading receiver?

Tomorrow may reveal the answer. There are many quality wide receiver prospects that should be available for the Giants, either with the No. 20 pick or their second-rounder, which is the 51st overall pick.

"They have their own plan," said Toomer, who is entering his 12th season with the Giants. "Whoever they get, I hope they bring in somebody to help the team."

Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson is the consensus top receiver available, probably the top athlete available. After that, most draft-watchers believe it's a long way to the next group of receivers, and that group is pretty equally regarded.

Maybe the slight leader is LSU's Dwayne Bowe, just ahead of USC's Dwayne Jarrett and Ohio State's Ted Ginn Jr. Bowe is 6-2, 221 pounds, not as big as Plaxico Burress but similar in style, according to one Giant who knows both receivers.

"He's not as tall as Plax, but he's long," said Corey Webster, who was a teammate of Bowe in 2003 and 2004 and has worked out with him the past two offseasons. "He gives smaller corners a lot of trouble."

Drops gave Bowe a lot of trouble in his first three college seasons, but he had LASIK eye surgery last summer and became JaMarcus Russell's main target, with 65 catches and 12 TDs.

The Giants' options for wideouts in the second round may be even more plentiful. LSU's Craig Davis, USC's Steve Smith and Washington State's Jason Hill may all still be on the board, so the Giants may be able to wait and catch whichever receiver falls to them.

Eli Manning noted this week that he told all his receivers he'd like them to be at Giants Stadium May 14 so they can work on route-running. The only folks he needed to call were Burress and Jeremy Shockey. If neither of them shows, that may only reinforce the Giants' decision to draft a wide receiver if they decide Burress' act is wearing thin.

The Giants also will likely be looking this weekend for a rookie to back up Shockey, with Visanthe Shiancoe gone to the Vikings. Western Oregon's Kevin Boss (6-6, 252) visited the Giants recently, and Giants tight ends coach Mike Pope attended the pro day of Minnesota's Matt Spaeth (6-7, 270).

Link

Please god, dont take Bowe. The guy cant see.

Why do the Giants end up with so many gimps? At least Reese is getting rid of those gimps.

Two words: Jerry Palmieri

Look up any team he went to. Half of the team finished on injured reserve.

Another great coaching pick by Coughlin. :puke:

Exactly. Just look at what it did for Tiki Barber's career.

Before Lasik, he could barely see the words on the teleprompter. :P

I was always thinking of having Lasik surgery....but I definitel am not going to the firm that has the former Mr. Fumbleitis as a spokesperson. They are always advertising about how cheap the surgery is. Listen when it comes to your vision....saving a hundred bucks here or there does not matter much. I am buying an improvement in my vision not a warrantied piece of electronics from Best Buy for Christ's sake. As to picking a WR.....we suck at picking WR's in the draft. It is a curse that will never be lifted....so please no WR's.

As to picking a WR.....we suck at picking WR's in the draft. It is a curse that will never be lifted....so please no WR's.

I hear ya, TCBvP, but Toomer was a pick of ours too, and Mark Ingram was a pretty decent receiver (I'll never forget that Super Bowl play where he made about eight guys miss for the first down).

Now Thomas Lewis, on the other hand... eh. :puke:

Eli Manning noted this week that he told all his receivers he'd like them to be at Giants Stadium May 14 so they can work on route-running. The only folks he needed to call were Burress and Jeremy Shockey. If neither of them shows, that may only reinforce the Giants' decision to draft a wide receiver if they decide Burress' act is wearing thin.

How can their decision to draft a WR be reinforced by an event that would happen AFTER the draft?

:rock:

I Don't buy that for a second...i don't care about any articles etc. if the giants don't draft defense, they have absolutely no clue, and anyone who thinks wr is a need over a defensive position, i have no respect for your knowledge of football or the new york giants. who cares about a 3rd f*ckin wideout? we already have plax toomer and shockey...seriously how many balls does our 3rd wr catch 5? we need either a lb or cb right away. we should be drafting d in the first 3 rounds. the defense last year was the absolute worst i have ever seen on a giants team, and while some of that can be attributed to lewis yes, we need some guys who can play.

I Don't buy that for a second...i don't care about any articles etc. if the giants don't draft defense, they have absolutely no clue, and anyone who thinks wr is a need over a defensive position, i have no respect for your knowledge of football or the new york giants. who cares about a 3rd f*ckin wideout? we already have plax toomer and shockey...seriously how many balls does our 3rd wr catch 5? we need either a lb or cb right away. we should be drafting d in the first 3 rounds. the defense last year was the absolute worst i have ever seen on a giants team, and while some of that can be attributed to lewis yes, we need some guys who can play.

This draft is deep in defense, so I'm not worried if we do go offense 1st.