SportsWrath

Wilkinson

Lughead

ny-giants.jpg

Wilkinson to Giants: Don't Waste an Early Pick on a Linebacker

Posted Apr 25th 2007 11:02AM by Dan Benton

Filed under: NY Giants, NFC East, NFL Draft, New York

gerris-wilkinson-240.jpgGerris Wilkinson sounds like he's a man with a plan. Already this offseason he's added seven pounds of muscle (now at 235 pounds) and he plans to add at least five more before the start of the regular season. What's his motivation? He thinks the the starting weak-side linebacker spot is his to lose.

"I definitely feel I can step into that role," Wilkinson said.

Many, including myself, think the Giants should draft a linebacker in the first round. However, there are some potentially good linebackers available in later rounds. Quincy Black out of New Mexico comes to mind. He could possibly be had in round three. So if Wilkinson feels he's ready, maybe the Giants should take his advice and focus on another area of need.

"I feel like I've progressed from last year, gotten stronger in the weight room, just gotten a better grasp for playing at this level," Wilkinson said. "I feel like once we finish ... mini-camp I'll go into training camp ready to be a starting linebacker."

The Giants didn't draft this guy for nothing. They obviously had a reason to bring him on board and play him in all 16 regular season games. While he did fall out of favor with Tim Lewis, he might be just what the doctor ordered for new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

ny-giants.jpg

Wilkinson to Giants: Don't Waste an Early Pick on a Linebacker

Posted Apr 25th 2007 11:02AM by Dan Benton

Filed under: NY Giants, NFC East, NFL Draft, New York

gerris-wilkinson-240.jpgGerris Wilkinson sounds like he's a man with a plan. Already this offseason he's added seven pounds of muscle (now at 235 pounds) and he plans to add at least five more before the start of the regular season. What's his motivation? He thinks the the starting weak-side linebacker spot is his to lose.

"I definitely feel I can step into that role," Wilkinson said.

Many, including myself, think the Giants should draft a linebacker in the first round. However, there are some potentially good linebackers available in later rounds. Quincy Black out of New Mexico comes to mind. He could possibly be had in round three. So if Wilkinson feels he's ready, maybe the Giants should take his advice and focus on another area of need.

"I feel like I've progressed from last year, gotten stronger in the weight room, just gotten a better grasp for playing at this level," Wilkinson said. "I feel like once we finish ... mini-camp I'll go into training camp ready to be a starting linebacker."

The Giants didn't draft this guy for nothing. They obviously had a reason to bring him on board and play him in all 16 regular season games. While he did fall out of favor with Tim Lewis, he might be just what the doctor ordered for new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

That alone speaks volumes to me.

Great point. Lewis the Loser never understood how defense should be played and consequently players were not used correctly and the game plan sucked. While a lot of blame rests on the Losers shoulders, let's all remember that he was hired and kept in that position by Dictator Tom. Neither of them can inspire players. In fact, neither of these jerk-offs could teach a bird to fly or a fish to swim. Since Toxic Tom is still the head coach, I don't really expect great improvement this year. Mara & Tisch keep him and that shows how much they care about winning. As long as their bank accounts are not effected, they won't make needed changes.

Great point. Lewis the Loser never understood how defense should be played and consequently players were not used correctly and the game plan sucked. While a lot of blame rests on the Losers shoulders, let's all remember that he was hired and kept in that position by Dictator Tom. Neither of them can inspire players. In fact, neither of these jerk-offs could teach a bird to fly or a fish to swim. Since Toxic Tom is still the head coach, I don't really expect great improvement this year. Mara & Tisch keep him and that shows how much they care about winning. As long as their bank accounts are not effected, they won't make needed changes.

Patriot lest you forget, Terrible Tom taught Tiki how to carry the ball so he wouldn't fumble. Turned him into an All Pro RB. And Tiki ungrateful little shyt had his best years under TC.

I thought the same thing when I read it....he of the outmoded Zone Blitz, dropping DE's in coverage, an undisguised 3-4 when you only have decent personnel for a 4-3.....and last but not least bringing in press corners to play Clueless' version of Cover Two (aka Cover Zero). Clueless was just an updated version of Tin Man (Rod Rust).

I thought the same thing when I read it....he of the outmoded Zone Blitz, dropping DE's in coverage, an undisguised 3-4 when you only have decent personnel for a 4-3.....and last but not least bringing in press corners to play Clueless' version of Cover Two (aka Cover Zero). Clueless was just an updated version of Tin Man (Rod Rust).

I've never seen coordinators before or since get away from doing what's working for them.

We blitz on their first series and get two sacks? Goodbye blitz.

We hold their receivers to three catches in the first half playing press coverage? Goodbye press.

Brandon Jacobs rips off a 19 yard run, followed by a 12 and a 15 yarder by Tiki? It's time for three straight passes.

And now that you mention it, Lewis' D did look a lot like Rod Rust's. :ph34r:

I've never seen coordinators before or since get away from doing what's working for them.

We blitz on their first series and get two sacks? Goodbye blitz.

We hold their receivers to three catches in the first half playing press coverage? Goodbye press.

Brandon Jacobs rips off a 19 yard run, followed by a 12 and a 15 yarder by Tiki? It's time for three straight passes.

And now that you mention it, Lewis' D did look a lot like Rod Rust's. :ph34r:

Remember Pepper Johnson and LT saying openly that they were going to free lance and that they were tired of all of that "read and react" crap. Too bad these guys did not have the reputations, courage and resume's to issue a similar statement to ClueLess. Screw Fumbling Ass Tiki or GapTooth and their prattlings....this would have been music to my ears. And you are absolutely 100% correct about our bipolar coordinators. If it works stop using before the other team stops it.

Sometimes I believe the Giants' opponents were waiting for them to go away from what was successful while playing them. They knew if the Giants were going sack happy, running like mad, or passing with success then they would inevitably go 180 degrees in the exact opposite direction. I think mediocre coaches pay far too much attention to their quality control guys who supposedly are there to warn them against falling into tendencies. Screw that....keep doing it until they stop it. The problem with trying to outsmart the other guy is that all too often you outsmart yourself.

Spagster's Fillie Fag approach may not be the most cerebral....but at least it is aggressive and has been successful for them. It can't be any worse.

Patriot lest you forget, Terrible Tom taught Tiki how to carry the ball so he wouldn't fumble. Turned him into an All Pro RB. And Tiki ungrateful little shyt had his best years under TC.
Tags, I will give Toxic Tom credit for improving the way Tiki carried the ball. As far as I am concerned that is the only positive thing he did for the Giants. Look at the recent record. No Conference championships. long losing streaks during the season, inability to change/improve the game plans of both his OC & DC, inability to inspire players or gain their respect. He is just a clueless and inadequate head cosch who should have been tossed into the garbage (where he belongs) at the end of last season. You would be a far better head coach than him. :clap:

Remember Pepper Johnson and LT saying openly that they were going to free lance and that they were tired of all of that "read and react" crap.

LOL I totally remember that. I remember Rust ended up finding jobs elsewhere too... not exactly sure what teams... but the commentators would always refer to him as being "a veteran" and "battle-tested."

I guess that was code for "really, really sucks."

Sometimes I believe the Giants' opponents were waiting for them to go away from what was successful while playing them. They knew if the Giants were going sack happy, running like mad, or passing with success then they would inevitably go 180 degrees in the exact opposite direction. I think mediocre coaches pay far too much attention to their quality control guys who supposedly are there to warn them against falling into tendencies. Screw that....keep doing it until they stop it. The problem with trying to outsmart the other guy is that all too often you outsmart yourself.

I think you're dead on here as usual TBCvP. I can't come up with any other explanation for what we were seeing last year.

Where else have we heard of read & react? Oh yeah, Johnnie Lynn & you saw how well that worked.

I never understood how you could ask a guy who played offense as a WR to become a DB coach number one and then a DC. It is much easier for a guy to excel as an offensive genius than it is for a guy with no experience on the defensive side exceling at defense. Again this was another case of Fox augmenting his staffs positives and covering their weaknesses. Lynn was a deer in the head lights but at least he was a classy guy who was in over his head. Clueless thought his shit did not stink and walked around like he was Patton. I know there are a lot of Giants enjoying his comeuppance as a mere DB coach under Fox. :LMAO: