SportsWrath

Mitchell Perhaps !

UK-Giantsfan

Monday, March 26 NFL.com

After trade talks for Broncos linebacker collapsed March 23, just before the deal was about to go through, the New York Giants arranged March 25 for Kansas City free-agent linebacker Kawika Mitchell to visit today. Mitchell had drawn little interest from teams around the league, surprising some NFL personnel people. But now the Giants are eyeing him for a spot that could have belonged to Wilson.

What do you think ?

After watching how the Chiefs used to tackle, I wouldn't sign any defensive players from them.

I dont know he has 88 tackles and 30 assist last year totaling 118 tackles . He was the chiefs leading tackler last year also. If we pick him up we wont lose a pick or a player either

http://mvn.com/nfl-giants/2007/03/26/kawik...new-york-today/

Kawika Mitchell Visiting New York Today

By Dan Benton | March 26th, 2007

Print | E-mail

10.jpg Chris Landsberger / CJonline.com

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, free agent linebacker Kawika Mitchell (Chiefs) will be in New York visiting the Giants today. He was a hot topic by many Giants fans early in the offseason, especially here on Giants 101.

Mitchell, 27, was the Chiefs second round pick in 2003. He's played 59 games (all 32 in the last two years) in his four NFL seasons collecting 294 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 3 interceptions and 18 passes defended.

With Al Wilson now all but out of the picture and Takeo Spikes possibly headed to Philadelphia, Mitchell seems like a great fall-back option. Most importantly, he'd probably come cheap and without having to give up a pick. Additionally, he would come with no lingering injury concerns and no other additional baggage.

Like Wilson, it is expected that he'd move to the outside if the Giants did end up signing him to a contract.

Other Notes:

- According to PFT, Michael Strahan may opt to holdout.

- The Giants will open their season on September 9th against the Cowboys.

- Thank you for the birthday wishes.

He sucks...

He's had over 100 tackles the past 2 years and has played 47 of his last 48 games. Doesn't sound like a bad pickup to me. Durable guy that makes a lot of tackles is exactly what we are looking for. I just don't know if he is good in coverage or not.

Have you seen him play NeM?

here is his stats . 218 tackels in the last 2 years 2 things I see that are negatives are

1: 0 forced fumbles

2: low number of pass rushing

Pos. Player ...................Tkls. Asst. Total..TFL .Sacks/Yds ...PR ....FR ...FF ...INT/YDS.. PD

LB ...Mitchell, Kawika .......88 ....30 ...118 ..4 ......1.5/4.5 .....10 ......1 ....0 ......1/23..... 3

Player ................Tkls... Asst.....Total ...TFL... Sacks/Yds... PR ..FR ..FF ...INT/YDS ..PD

Mitchell, Kawika ....100 .....35 ...135 ......7..... 2.0/14.0 .......12 ...1 ...0 ......1/0 .......14

KEY

TFL: Tackle for loss

PR: Pass Rrush

FR: Fumble Recovery

FF: Forced Fumble

PD: Pass Defensed

holy shit, why was he such a bargain? :o

Former 2nd round pick, odd if you ask me, but a dependable guy nonetheless. I like his size at 250. Good solid move and if nothin else a good stopgap.

He's not a playmaker though. He's basically Brandon Short. I like it though, it will make camp interesting for the LB's. Maybe now we see what we got.

bloglogo.gif

Mitchell Not Signed? Giants Get Comp Pick

By Dan Benton | March 27th, 2007

Print | E-mail

confused.jpg Confused in New York - Epa.gov

Talk about a wild offseason filled with reporting gone amuck. According to ESPN 1050 (last night), the Giants have not officially signed Kawika Mitchell. In fact, according to their report he will not even be in New York today.

This obviously contradicts previous reports made by Arthur Staple and Mike Garafolo, who both indicated that this deal was already signed, sealed and delivered. Now, don’t lose your minds. That’s not to say this deal won’t get done because it does seem imminent. According to Newsday, the two sides are very close and it could be done in the very near future. However, since his name is not yet on the contract that leaves the door open for some disastrous possibilities.

Other Notes:

- The Giants have been awarded a compensatory pick. It will be the number for of the 7th round, 250th overall.

- Vonta Leach officially returned to the Texans.

- Readers, please check out NFLpetition.org. It’s a page created by one of our very own G101 readers to help raise awareness about the hardships ex-NFL players are facing today and the lack of assistance they are getting from the NFL.

giants-blog.gif« Vonta Leach a Texan; Giants Open In Texas (Dallas) | Main

Kawika Mitchell a Giant (Officially)

He took his physical this morning, passed (presumably), and the Giants dropped him off in the press room to meet reporters. Mitchell said he thought free agency would be a bit different -- clearly, the $900 million Adalius Thomas got, then the Chiefs signing Napoleon Harris, then the complete silence from around the league for three weeks wasn't what he had in mind.

But Mitchell is a Giant and prepared to play an outside LB spot. "It's a team that can win a lot of games and I can do something right away," he said. The deal is the same as I reported yesterday -- $250,000 signing bonus, $750,000 salary. One year to make an impact -- kind of like his new head coach.

"I wasn't opposed to a one-year deal at this point," he said. "Hopefully I'll do a great job and we can build on that."

Today is the first day for us reporters to hang out in the Giants locker room during off-season workouts... Not much news, but a few tidbits:

-- DE Justin Tuck just had the screws removed from his foot eight days ago, so he hasn't started doing much except walking without feeling something very uncomfortable in his foot. He didn't sound sure he'd be ready for the veteran minicamp in June, but definitely for training camp.

-- DE Osi Umenyiora has given himself a new nickname: All-Access Osi. After boycotting interviews for the better part of two seasons, he said today he wants to change his image.

-- Eli Manning said he's had a few meetings with new QBs coach Chris Palmer. "I gave him a list of things I want to improve on, he had his list," Manning said. "He's got a new, different perspective."

Manning also said he hoped Plaxico Burress and Jeremy Shockey would check in before the June minicamp to work with him -- and that he won't go to Florida to work with them.

"I hope we can get them here a few times before we start (minicamp)," he said. "This is where I have to be, this is where all the other players are, this is where I work out, train, see my film. This is where the offseason program is."

All Access Osi now we know who the leak will be this year :LMAO: