SportsWrath

Cross another one off the list.

RaginCaucasian

Curtis to the Eagles.

The Philadelphia Eagles signed former Rams unrestricted free agent wideout Kevin Curtis to a six-year, $32 million contract on Thursday.

The Eagles beat out the Minnesota Vikings and two other teams for the chance to land the heavily-coveted Curtis, who will be guaranteed $9.5 million in the deal.

Rated by ESPN.com as the No. 23 player available in the unrestricted market, Curtis was one of the top players still remaining in the talent pool. The four-year veteran was one of the most popular unrestricted free agents from the outset of the signing period, but his courtship was delayed when he changed agents a week into the process.

Curtis, 28, had played his entire career with the St. Louis Rams before going into free agency. He wrapped up his visits with other teams this week, meeting with Tennessee Titans officials, then returned home to Utah to deliberate the offers from his various suitors.

The addition of Curtis is a coup for the Eagles and team president Joe Banner, not just because of the intense competition for his services, but also because he figures to be such a good fit with the team's young corps of receivers. He has played in an offense similar to the design of coach Andy Reid, and the deep threat he consistently provides will compensate for Philadelphia's recent loss of wide receiver Donte Stallworth in free agency.

One of the NFL's fastest players, certainly in terms of straight-line speed, Curtis will bring a big-play dimension to the Eagles' attack.

In his four seasons with the Rams, he registered 136 receptions for 1,714 yards and 12 touchdowns. His best season was in 2005, when Curtis had 60 catches for 801 yards and six touchdowns, playing in the Mike Martz-designed offense.

He garnered considerable playing time that year because of injuries, but his role was reduced under first-year coach Scott Linehan in 2006, when St. Louis relied more on the running game and didn't use as many three-wideout formations.

A former Utah State standout, Curtis was a third-round choice in the 2003 draft, and has appeared in 51 games, with 11 starts.

John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli are senior writers for ESPN.com

Wow. Good move for the Eagles, bad news for us. :brooding:

dude, they are overpaying for a mediocre Jurevicious. What exactly has Kevin Curtis done that makes him so high up with you guys? Sinorice Moss is a much better option for us right now, he's got potential.

dude, they are overpaying for a mediocre Jurevicious. What exactly has Kevin Curtis done that makes him so high up with you guys? Sinorice Moss is a much better option for us right now, he's got potential.

He's no Jerry Rice, but at least they have filled a wr spot with a good possession receiver. Us on the other hand??? Who's left now,...not much.

He's no Jerry Rice, but at least they have filled a wr spot with a good possession receiver. Us on the other hand??? Who's left now,...not much.

i dont know, you guys just seem so worried that we aren't overpaying in this free agent class that's not all that great. the only significant loss i feel we've had is Tiki and honestly, it's gonna take the two guys we have to replace him, Droughns and Jacobs...other than that, Petitgout only gets bashed here but when he's finally gone people cry about it. The man must have comitted 300 penalties in his time with us. Walker's gone...oh not there goes are number 5 guy at that spot. Tim Carter, injury plagued, never on the field. Arrington, risky pick up last year, injury plagued. Emmons, dead wood at outside linebacker, can't move. I'm confident that the Reese knows what he's doing, he's in the spot for a reason, and since we don't have that much wiggle room beneath the cap, it's better to fill holes then break the bank on mediocre WRs like Curtis who we don't need all that much anyway.

Not to mention we have a full number of picks in the draft. Let us get younger, quicker, and more disciplined like Coughlin(I'm a believer in Coughlin, Hufnagle was the problem) originally planned. I'd like to see us pick the DT from Penn St. that was on your one post, he looks like a beast.

Rated by ESPN.com as the No. 23 player available in the unrestricted market, Curtis was one of the top players still remaining in the talent pool.

Man, I can't believe we missed out on the 23rd highest ranked player in this stellar Free Agent market! We'll never go to the Super Bowl now! :rolleyes:

i dont know, you guys just seem so worried that we aren't overpaying in this free agent class that's not all that great. the only significant loss i feel we've had is Tiki and honestly, it's gonna take the two guys we have to replace him, Droughns and Jacobs...other than that, Petitgout only gets bashed here but when he's finally gone people cry about it. The man must have comitted 300 penalties in his time with us. Walker's gone...oh not there goes are number 5 guy at that spot. Tim Carter, injury plagued, never on the field. Arrington, risky pick up last year, injury plagued. Emmons, dead wood at outside linebacker, can't move. I'm confident that the Reese knows what he's doing, he's in the spot for a reason, and since we don't have that much wiggle room beneath the cap, it's better to fill holes then break the bank on mediocre WRs like Curtis who we don't need all that much anyway.

Not to mention we have a full number of picks in the draft. Let us get younger, quicker, and more disciplined like Coughlin(I'm a believer in Coughlin, Hufnagle was the problem) originally planned. I'd like to see us pick the DT from Penn St. that was on your one post, he looks like a beast.

Yeah, not for nothing fellas but if this guy was a really great WR he would have been one of the first guys picked up in FA. Not to mention the fact that the only time he truly fourished was under Mike Martz & his air-em-out attack, when the Rams brought in Linehan & they went to more of a power run attack (which I think the Eagles might have finally figured out wins games) his production went in the tank (mind you he was injured part of the season but when healthy he was a 3'rd reciever & not a very productive one). If the Eagles are going to ask him to be their #1 guy then they are going to be sorry for doing so, he's really not worth killing ourselves over not getting..... dissapointing yes but is he Marvin Harrison, no.

UGH!!!!!!!!!I am so tired of people thinking the Giants are in some kind of dire straights because we are not signing these mediocre players, to these insane contracts. This is not baseball and 32 million with 9 million guaranteed would do more to hurt this team then help it down the road for a player who has never started, nor caught more than 60 balls in season, or been a 1000 yard reciever. Think about that. I for one would have blown a gasket had we given this guy that type deal.

We have good players at key spots. Look for Reese to make some solid depth moves and draft by need in the first few round and keep our cap in good shape as the cap numbers will level off the next few years. I bet that LaVar comes back if healthy at the vet minimum as well. Like I have said before and will say again, the losses we have endured were not crucial and IMO will benefit the team, particualrly if LaVar comes back at the deal Sirius radio speculated on.

Yeah, not for nothing fellas but if this guy was a really great WR he would have been one of the first guys picked up in FA. Not to mention the fact that the only time he truly fourished was under Mike Martz & his air-em-out attack, when the Rams brought in Linehan & they went to more of a power run attack (which I think the Eagles might have finally figured out wins games) his production went in the tank (mind you he was injured part of the season but when healthy he was a 3'rd reciever & not a very productive one). If the Eagles are going to ask him to be their #1 guy then they are going to be sorry for doing so, he's really not worth killing ourselves over not getting..... dissapointing yes but is he Marvin Harrison, no.

We have the exact same player that he is in Sinorice Moss anyway(minus a 32 million dollar deal, which by the way is INSANE to pay Kevin Curtis, and though i havent checked, i doubt Amani Toomer makes that kind of money)...he's just gotta get on the field.

xxi xxv is right... this market is ridiculous and its absurd that you guys want to sign some of these FAs at these prices.

It's time to build our team through the draft. Can't say that enough.

We could use another WR though...

xxi xxv is right... this market is ridiculous and its absurd that you guys want to sign some of these FAs at these prices.

It's time to build our team through the draft. Can't say that enough.

We could use another WR though...

Toomer is gonna come back better than ever, watch :)

I think WR is a position we arent too bad in...a late round pick...say 4th round plus, would fill it out nicely. Plaxico and Toomer with Moss in the slot. That's an exciting core right there, IMO.

The Eagles overpaying on a wideout. Let's see they let Stallworth go for virtually the same money. I'd have to say that I'd be more worried about Stallworth over Curtis if I was a def co-ord.

I'm kinds glad the Giants aren't shelling out this much money, these deals make so little sense.

Let me rephrase and dont put words in my mouth again. I am just upset to see the Eagles fill a huge hole, and we cant even sign some bum, any bum, to fill 1 fucking roster spot for the league minimum.

Let me rephrase and dont put words in my mouth again. I am just upset to see the Eagles fill a huge hole, and we cant even sign some bum, any bum, to fill 1 fucking roster spot for the league minimum.

you alluded to not signing a WR to fill a roster spot...err, not OVERPAYING for a WR simply to fill a roster spot...

I simply put down my thoughts about how everyone wants us to pick up free agents, but honestly, he's doing good not to sign bums for a high price simply because they need to fill a roster spot.

you alluded to not signing a WR to fill a roster spot...err, not OVERPAYING for a WR simply to fill a roster spot...

I simply put down my thoughts about how everyone wants us to pick up free agents, but honestly, he's doing good not to sign bums for a high price simply because they need to fill a roster spot.

It's just the excitement of FA and many peoples Madden minds. I really am glad we arent digging a ditch and I seriously cant wait till next off-season. It seems as if Reese knows what he's doing, but like I said I come home everyday and check around to see if we signed someone, hell even talked to anyone.

It's just the excitement of FA and many peoples Madden minds. I really am glad we arent digging a ditch and I seriously cant wait till next off-season. It seems as if Reese knows what he's doing, but like I said I come home everyday and check around to see if we signed someone, hell even talked to anyone.

yah, you're right, I expected to see more actual free agent signings, but hey, these scrubs are getting paid way too much, so it doesnt make me feel that bad.

yah, you're right, I expected to see more actual free agent signings, but hey, these scrubs are getting paid way too much, so it doesnt make me feel that bad.

Truly, aside from some of the premier guys who went way early and got some truly astronomical numbers that will eventually (without contract re-structuring) kill some team's cap #'s, most of the tier 2 guys are getting money that in any "normal" FA period would go to those premier players. In short, yeah so far we have done very little but quite frankly paying this much in FA to players at the second level is about as smart as having half a tank of gas knowing full well that you can get to work until payday but filling up the tank (@ $2.70/gallon :brooding: :TD::chair::furious: :explode: )with gas instead of buying food.

Truly, aside from some of the premier guys who went way early and got some truly astronomical numbers that will eventually (without contract re-structuring) kill some team's cap #'s, most of the tier 2 guys are getting money that in any "normal" FA period would go to those premier players. In short, yeah so far we have done very little but quite frankly paying this much in FA to players at the second level is about as smart as having half a tank of gas knowing full well that you can get to work until payday but filling up the tank (@ $2.70/gallon :brooding: :TD::chair::furious: :explode: )with gas instead of buying food.

you're complaining about 2.70? Try 3.10... <_<

Why is everyone so hopped up on who we have or haven't signed? Or how mediocre the free agent talent is this year? Or 'why didn't we get him first'? The Eagles were going to sign a WR regardless after losing Stallworth. The significance of this signing is that a division rival now has a WR that potentially will burn the Giants secondary. "Good move for the Eagles, bad news for us".....absolutely, but not because the Giants didn't get him first, but because they got a player who will produce for them for at least 2 games in '07.

well said Storm , i agree entirely ......why bother with Curtis when we have Plax , Toomer , Moss , Tyree etc and the full draft to come . Reese is an intelligent and capable man who knows exactly what he is doing.

The Eagles overpaying on a wideout. Let's see they let Stallworth go for virtually the same money. I'd have to say that I'd be more worried about Stallworth over Curtis if I was a def co-ord.

My thoughts exactly. This is a downgrade for the Eagles at WR, and poor management on their behalf.