SportsWrath

Hot Topics

Lughead

this is from The Giant Insider link

OK before you read this it starts out like these guys have been away for a few weeks and they think the first few Paragraphs are hot news. but the good stuff is toward the end . So you can skip all that Tiki/Coughlin shit and the LP/LA/CE/CM cuts as well as the Tim Lewis/John Hufnagle crap. you can watch for these new cuts ( in bold) as they develop with FA signings a little over a week away

By Site Staff

Giants Insider

Posted Feb 19, 2007

Even in retirement, running back Tiki Barber hasn't stopped talking about his obvious dislike for Giants coach Tom Coughlin.

After a first-round playoff loss to Carolina following the 2005 season, Barber spoke out in public, saying: "We were out-coached and unprepared."

He said the same thing a few times during this just-concluded season, and at his introduction as the newest shining light in the NBC Network's firmament, he did it again.

"Coach Coughlin is very hard-nosed," he said, "and I didn't get a lot of time off, couldn't sit down and rest (during practices) and so it was a constant grind, a physical grind on me that started to take its toll. It really forced me to start thinking about what I wanted to do next, and that's not a bad thing. That's a good thing, for me at least. Maybe not for the Giants, because they lose one of their great players, but for me it is."

The implication there is that he would not have retired had Coughlin been a different coach -- or had a different person been the Giants' coach. He has never confirmed that, but his statements betray his denials.

Barber will be a spot reporter on the NBC "Today" show weekday mornings, and will be a part of the NBC Sunday Night Football show during the season. His Sunday night involvement signaled the end of the line for former Pro Bowl wide receiver Sterling Sharpe, who Barber has already replaced.

Barber complained that the Giants "were in pads for 17 weeks" during practices, and questioned Coughlin's judgment based on "the amount of injuries we had. At times he would yell at me for not going full speed, and I told him: 'Coach, I can't do it. I'm gonna be out here. I'm never going to miss a practice. But I can't give you what you want all the time;' and he understood."

PLAYER/PERSONNEL NOTES

--The contract signed last year by defensive tackle Junior Ioane was formally and officially voided by the Giants earlier this week. The seven-year veteran, a product of Arizona State, had been released by the Houston Texans and signed by the Giants on May 30. But he never reported to minicamp, training camp or the regular season and is now no longer part of the team.

--There were more than 500,000 ticket requests for the Giants-Miami Dolphins regular season game scheduled Oct. 28 in Wembley Stadium, London, England. The old building recently underwent a major renovation and will be able to seat nearly 88,000. It is the second international regular-season game scheduled by the NFL -- the first was in 2005 when Arizona and San Francisco met in Mexico City.

--The Giants recently rounded out their coaching staff with the hiring of Chris Palmer as quarterbacks coach, replacing Kevin Gilbride, who moved up to offensive coordinator. Palmer was the first head coach of the "new" Cleveland Browns.

--It would appear that the Giants plan to move David Diehl from left guard to left tackle to replace Luke Petitgout, and then move reserve guard/center Rich Seubert to starting left guard, where he had started to establish a reputation before an injury in 2003. Diehl has played guard and tackle for the Giants and has not missed a game since his rookie year of 2003 (he was a fifth-round draft pick).

--If new GM Jerry Reese is determined to trim dead wood from the roster, there are rumors that he will similarly release QB Tim Hasselbeck, DT Jonas Seawright, former first-round pick (2003) DT William Joseph and CB Frank Walker.

(If we cut Tim Hasselbeck we should go for Damon Huard of the chiefs this is my feeling -lughead)

QUOTE TO NOTE: "The grind (of head coach Tom Coughlin's full-pads practices all season) took its toll on me and really forced me to start thinking about what else I wanted to do. That's not a bad thing. That's a good thing for me, at least. Maybe not for the Giants, because they lose one of their great players, but for me." -- RB Tiki Barber, at his introduction as a new NBC Network analyst.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

Without trying too hard, one could get the impression that head coach Tom Coughlin was faced with a hard decision presented by the front office -- weed out the chaff in the coaching staff or lose your job.

So Coughlin began throwing people under the bus -- including both coordinators, John Hufnagel (offense) and Tim Lewis (defense). In addition, he moved Kevin Gilbride to offensive coordinator from quarterbacks coach and added a former head coach, Chris Palmer, to replace Gilbride. Then he picked Steve Spagnuolo from the Philadelphia Eagles to replace Lewis.

Coupled with this, general manager Ernie Accorsi finally retired, and was replaced by his assistant, 41-year-old Jerry Reese, only the third African-American to hold a general manager position in NFL history.

And Reese began doing things his way by releasing four veterans -- LT Luke Petitgout, SLB LaVar Arrington, WLB Carlos Emmons and KR-RB Chad Morton. The only question is whether Coughlin had anything to do with those decisions; the tempting answer is that no, he didn't -- that he was informed rather than consulted.

The Giants are facing several key decisions. First of all, they lost RB Tiki Barber to retirement, and will have to decide almost immediately whether two-year veteran Brandon Jacobs has enough to replace him as a full-time feature back. If not, there isn't anyone else, and that position will become a priority in the free agent market as well as the draft.

Then there is the vacancy created by the release of Petitgout. At the moment, LG David Diehl is going to move over to LT, which will put reserve G-C Rich Seubert at starting LG.

But Diehl is a journeyman with stamina. He hasn't missed a start in the 64 games he has played since his rookie year. If something better comes along in free agency (like Arizona's Leonard Davis), he might get to keep his LG job. The Giants hold the 20th slot in the draft, and no worth left tackle is expected to be there; it is a sparse collection this year at that position.

Another decision seems to revolve around the defensive line, where the ends are fine but the tackles came up lacking last season. A quality run-stopper might, in fact, become the team's first-round focus.

It is safe to assume that running back defensive tackle and offensive tackle will be the three positions the Giants will be most anxious to improve, either by signing a free agent or in the draft. Buffalo CB Nate Clements is going to be on the market, and the Giants would love to sign him. With the recent cuts of veteran salaries, they may indeed have the cash to do so.

Their top three needs, in order, are:

1. Defensive tackle -- The four-man rotation system didn't exactly work, since rookie Barry Cofield and veteran Fred Robbins were the starters and the other two -- William Joseph and Jonas Seawright -- played so badly the two starters had to play most of the time. There are a few defensive tackles who should be available in the first round, namely DeMarcus Tyler of North Carolina State and Adam Carriker of Nebraska (though he's more of an end in a 4-3 defense).

2. Offensive tackle -- The loss of Petitgout, who was on a Pro Bowl track the first half of the season until he fell to a fractured fibula in Week Nine, will either open the door for Diehl or create the need for a first-round pick. That's a pity, since the only quality tackles in this year's draft are Joe Thomas of Wisconsin and Levi Brown of Penn State, and they'll go well before the Giants pick. So the Giants will have to look in the second and/or third round here.

3. Running back -- If it is determined that the 6-4, 265-pound Jacobs has what it takes, there is no problem. The need then is merely for a quality backup -- which again the Giants appear to lack. But if one of the top running backs suddenly becomes available in the 20th slot -- Marshawn Lynch of California, for instance -- the decision becomes somewhat more complicated.

MEDICAL WATCH -- WR Amani Toomer (knee surgery) is said to be rehabbing well and should be ready for minicamp, if not the optional off-season workout and conditioning program. But Toomer is going to be 33 when the season opens.

Promising DE Justin Tuck, just in his second year, suffered a foot injury and missed 10 games as well as the playoff game. DE Michael Strahan, the six-time Pro Bowl veteran, suffered a torn ligament in his foot and might be questionable for the start of pre-season activities. Other injuries, more minor, do not figure, but two other serious problems were expunged by the release of Petitgout (fractured fibula) and Arrington (ruptured Achilles tendon).

FRANCHISE PLAYER: None.

TRANSITION PLAYER: None.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

--OT Steve Edwards was a late-season fill-in, has some size and ability, but won't be mourned if he moves on.

--K Jay Feely is technically an unrestricted free agent, although he had a four-year contract and has played only two seasons with the Giants. He had the right to opt out after the second year, which he did, and the thought is that he wants to stay with the team but will insist on renegotiating his contract for the next two (or longer) seasons.

--LS Ryan Kuehl has been around for a while (he's a 10-year veteran) and while he is consistent, he might be too expensive for what he does.

--C Shaun O'Hara is a quality performer and young enough to play for a while, but his reported demands (four years at $3 million a year plus a signing bonus of $10 million) might price him out of the Giants' picture.

--OT Lewis Kelly has never really played, has been hurt and may not be offered a contract.

--G-C Grey Ruegamer is a useful reserve. Better than a journeyman, but not someone you'd like to have to start. He may be kept since he won't be all that expensive.

--TE Visanthe Shiancoe was a reach as a third-round draft pick out of Morgan State (Md.), and while he has developed into a capable blocker he doesn't have the spark and if he doesn't accept a reasonable offer he's gone.

--WLB Brandon Short played well in a fill-in role, then started at the end of the season and seems to have enough to play a few more years. Much will depend on his demands.

--CB Frank Walker plays out of control, commits foolish penalties and is almost certainly gone, probably without the offer of a contract. RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

--SLB Reggie Torbor is another who the Giants would like to keep. He has had some chances to start but didn't impress. Still he has size and speed and now some experience, too.

--RB Derrick Ward can't seem to stay healthy, has not made an impact in any of his three seasons and might not be tendered.

--WR Darius Watts is not going to cause anyone to lose sleep if he leaves, but with size and speed the Giants would try a minimal offer to keep him.

--SS Gibril Wilson would be a tough loss. He hits hard, can go to the ball and when healthy is a quality safety. He'll get an offer that will keep him on the roster. PLAYERS RE-SIGNED: None.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED: None.

PLAYERS LOST

--SLB LaVar Arrington (released).

--RB Tiki Barber (retired).

--WLB Carlos Emmons (released).

--KR-RB Chad Morton (released).

--OT Luke Petitgout (released).

--OT Bob Whitfield (retired).

I don't see the point of cutting Joseph. I thought he did an okay job filling it at DE while we were in trouble there. He was very valuable and even though it was bad with our defense, it couldve been a lot worse.

I don't think some Giants fans are ready to cut Jonas.

And I don't want to sign Huard. In fact, I don't want to sign a good vet QB. It puts too much unneeded pressure on the young starting QB. You saw what happened with Rex this year with BRian Griese as a backup. The pressure is absurd and I would expect it to be just as much with Eli.

I don't see the point of cutting Joseph. I thought he did an okay job filling it at DE while we were in trouble there. He was very valuable and even though it was bad with our defense, it couldve been a lot worse.

And I don't want to sign Huard. In fact, I don't want to sign a good vet QB. It puts too much unneeded pressure on the young starting QB. You saw what happened with Rex this year with BRian Griese as a backup. The pressure is absurd and I would expect it to be just as much with Eli.

Legends dont die! :LMAO:

Giants fans dont make the roster moves, so anything is possible.

You gotta be kidding me ? how would it put pressure on Eli? You would give up the chance to drop Hasselbeck and pick up Huard ? look what he did for the chiefs. He would help Eli immensely with His in game experience, which is better that Jared's or Tim's . He could give Eli a lot of tips and pointers . Also, we are damn Lucky Eli hasn't gone down with a major injury. If he did then what ? What if its week 16 and we are in the playoffs and he goes down, will Lorenzen or Hasselbeck be able to take us to the Superbowl???

Damon Huard will want to go somewhere where he can compete for the starter job, somewhere like Minny or Detroit or even a place like the raiders while keeping the seat warm for the kid from LSU.

I don't get the part about William Joseph playing so bad?. He wasn't spectacular, but he was never as bad as he's saying. Don't expect him back though.

You gotta be kidding me ? how would it put pressure on Eli? You would give up the chance to drop Hasselbeck and pick up Huard ? look what he did for the chiefs. He would help Eli immensely with His in game experience, which is better that Jared's or Tim's . He could give Eli a lot of tips and pointers . Also, we are damn Lucky Eli hasn't gone down with a major injury. If he did then what ? What if its week 16 and we are in the playoffs and he goes down, will Lorenzen or Hasselbeck be able to take us to the Superbowl???

I don't think Huard's gonna be looking for backup money this year.

I don't think Huard's gonna be looking for backup money this year.

it don't matter what he wants it's what he's are offered . He could want 5 mill a year for 5 years . If we are the only team that offers him 2 mill for 3 years (or what ever the UFA minimum is) I am pretty sure he wont pass it up. I am not saying we are the only team that would want him . I am sure there are others .

it don't matter what he wants it's what he's are offered . He could want 5 mill a year for 5 years . If we are the only team that offers him 2 mill for 3 years (or what ever the UFA minimum is) I am pretty sure he wont pass it up. I am not saying we are the only team that would want him . I am sure there are others .

He wants to start.

DT is our first concern? WTF is this guy thinking? He didnt even mention the 2 glaring holes at LBer. At least we have 2 good starters at DT.

Side note- if they bring in someone to start at running back, im going to puke.

Yeah, because we would go far with Huard. He benefited from having LJ there and having conservative play calling, the same benefit he would not receive here. And if Eli goes down, might as well see what we have in Jared, seeing that our season would probably be over.

You ask how it would put pressure on Eli, look what having Brian Griese did to Rex Grossman. You think that benefited Rex this year?

Yeah, because we would go far with Huard. He benefited from having LJ there and having conservative play calling, the same benefit he would not receive here. And if Eli goes down, might as well see what we have in Jared, seeing that our season would probably be over.

You ask how it would put pressure on Eli, look what having Brian Griese did to Rex Grossman. You think that benefited Rex this year?

you don't think Huard would make a better back up than Jared? anyway Gilbride is scaling back and simplifying the offensive play calling this year . I would say thats conservative. you don't think BJ will be another LJ? (with out the diapers) IF Eli goes down Huard could take us further than Jared. our season wouldn't "probley be over then "

what did Greise do to Grossman? Grossman started stinking up the stadium then Greise was brought in . that was a coaches decision . how insecure do you think Eli is? besides the last football game I watch before the pro-bowl I am pretty sure I saw Grossman Playing in it.

you don't think Huard would make a better back up than Jared? anyway Gilbride is scaling back and simplifying the offensive play calling this year . I would say thats conservative. you don't think BJ will be another LJ? (with out the diapers) IF Eli goes down Huard could take us further than Jared. our season wouldn't "probley be over then "

what did Greise do to Grossman? Grossman started stinking up the stadium then Greise was brought in . that was a coaches decision . how insecure do you think Eli is? besides the last football game I watch before the pro-bowl I am pretty sure I saw Grossman Playing in it.

Grossman hardly played before Griese was brought in. And he had a tremendous start and after one bad game, people were talking about pulling Grossman. You think that doesn't take a toll on you after a while? Grossman had to deal with so much shit during the season, and if Kyle Orton was the backup I don't think he wouldve gone through everything that he did go through.

We'd probably be better off with Huard then Lorenzen, but how much better? 5-11 with Jared, 8-8 at best with Huard.

He wants to start.

I am sure every one that is on a bench wants to start but this guy's whole career has been "just a good back up QB "

what I am saying if we can get him for what ever the minimum would be and KC can't afford him then why not ? he would be a good mentor for Eli. Jared and Tim dont have the 10 years experience that Damon has .

Also what I am trying to say is if he comes across the boards and no one picks him up we should take a look at him thats all . not we gotta gotta gotta grab him up :freaked: . I was just throwing his name out there and some of the reasons I read why we shouldn't made me go :confused:

DT is our first concern? WTF is this guy thinking? He didnt even mention the 2 glaring holes at LBer. At least we have 2 good starters at DT.

Side note- if they bring in someone to start at running back, im going to puke.

What does the quality of DT's in this years draft look like? Pretty thin draft at that position, on the other hand Lawrence Timmons might be there for the picking..... if they let Spagnuolo have some input he'll endorse Defense first.

im heading up to training camp this summer. i really want to meet jonas. and i know he won't say no, because no one has ever requested an autograph from him before

:LMAO:

--LS Ryan Kuehl has been around for a while (he's a 10-year veteran) and while he is consistent, he might be too expensive for what he does.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! DON'T FUCK WITH THE LS!!! PAY HIM! PAY HIM!!! REMEMBER 2003!!!

I'd also bet there's no way we're releasing DTs with all the holes we have to fill this off season. Maybe after camp if some promising rookies are picked up mid-draft, but not before. Good news on Amani healing well.

I want to see J Load air it out. The QB sneak thing got old pretty fast. Put him in there and run a play fake. There'll be 10 men in the box and a one on one with Plax. I think J load is capable of throwing it 20 yards down field. He has a pretty strong arm.

I want to see J Load air it out. The QB sneak thing got old pretty fast. Put him in there and run a play fake. There'll be 10 men in the box and a one on one with Plax. I think J load is capable of throwing it 20 yards down field. He has a pretty strong arm.

I was thinking the same thing. I just love seeing him waddle out onto the field.

Guys don't forget the kid owns nearly every UK passing record and while Kentucky isn't USC, they had several pretty decent QBs over the years.

if they let Spagnuolo have some input he'll endorse Defense first.

I was thinking that too. I could see us getting a big DT, a playmaking LB, or a cover corner with the first pick. Right now I've gotta say LB because we're so thin there.

Jacobs makes the Pro Bowl next year if he's healthy. Write it down.

However, we're gonna be in big trouble next year on the OL no matter how you slice it. Best case scenario right now has us losing our second best lineman, and having another slide into his place (Snee is still our best lineman, I say). So, seeing that Eli is probably gonna be on his ass a lot more than this year, backup QB is going to also have to be a big priority (Hasselbeck fucking sucks).

Personally, I like Tubby Mc Flubscout at QB. I laugh my ass off every time he's out there.

I was thinking that too. I could see us getting a big DT, a playmaking LB, or a cover corner with the first pick. Right now I've gotta say LB because we're so thin there.

Jacobs makes the Pro Bowl next year if he's healthy. Write it down.

However, we're gonna be in big trouble next year on the OL no matter how you slice it. Best case scenario right now has us losing our second best lineman, and having another slide into his place (Snee is still our best lineman, I say). So, seeing that Eli is probably gonna be on his ass a lot more than this year, backup QB is going to also have to be a big priority (Hasselbeck fucking sucks).

Personally, I like Tubby Mc Flubscout at QB. I laugh my ass off every time he's out there.

My personal hope/guess is that they will get Nate Clements in FA and turn their first round attention to the outside linebacker spot..... Lawrence Timmons is a guy who alot of people are high on. A few draft spots that I have visited have us taking a CB in the first round but by # 20 the Giants will likely find only more Will Allens & quite frankly if we are only going to get more 5'10'' guys who dont have a blazing 40 with agility and cover skills to spare then thanks but I'd rather get OLB fixed in the first instead.

Whatever happens in the draft we are going to find out one way or another in both pre-season and camp if Wimpher can handle the OLT spot, if he can (and I really hope he does..... I could care less if he makes some rookie mistakes because essentially that's what he is, but I hope that after mistakes like Jeff Hatch we unearth a winner who can start for years from now) then we can depend on the running game dropping off only slightly (as much as I like Jacobs I don't think that overnight he can replicate Tiki's production). As for Eli, his days of getting a free pass are over..... this team is now clearly his... he must lead them, he is the face of this team and must sieze the moment, regardless as to his struggles even if he doesn't excell this year he must command respect from his teammates and take direction from Gilbride (who seems to be the type of guy who won't use the "soft" approach with Manning).