SportsWrath

Cruz is coming along.

Treehugger

Victor Cruz makes continued progress in rehab

6_3528466.jpg(Photo: The Star-Ledger, USA TODAY Sports)

Giants coach Tom Coughlin was careful to not guarantee wide receiver Victor Cruz would be ready for training camp when he spoke with reporters at last week's owners meetings.

But Cruz appears to be on track for that target date as he makes his way back from a torn patellar tendon in his right knee. He posted a picture on Monday morning of him running at the Giants' facility in East Rutherford, N.J.

He captioned the photo, "Good morning world! Not the greatest quality but I think the screen shot speaks for itself. #TheReturn."

Even if this was just a light jog, it's a major step forward. It's been almost sixth months since Cruz fell to the end zone howling in pain during a Week 6 game against the Eagles. The injury was serious enough that some have openly doubted whether he can ever be the same, explosive receiver. The sixth-year pro has done everything in his power to assure the fans and everyone else there will be no such drop-off.

Cruz had two consecutive seasons with at least 80 receptions and 1,000 receiving yards in 2011 and 2012 and made a Pro Bowl. He finished with 73 grabs for 998 yards and four scores over 14 games in 2013.

Much work remains before Cruz can absorb hits from defenders and make quick cuts and turns that will put pressure on his knee. But it looks like the long recovery process is going as well as it can so far.

Cruz, Odell Beckham Jr and Reuben Randle all worked out together yesterday.

If Cruz comes back at 100% then the Giant's shouldnt look at WR till round three.

From what I understand this draft is stupid deep at WR and you can get a quality starter in the later rounds.

See if the Giant's can beef up the Oline and Dline with the first two picks, unless they feel Cruz has lost his explosiveness then suddenly WR is a very thing position.

If Cruz comes back at 100% then the Giant's shouldnt look at WR till round three.

From what I understand this draft is stupid deep at WR and you can get a quality starter in the later rounds.

See if the Giant's can beef up the Oline and Dline with the first two picks, unless they feel Cruz has lost his explosiveness then suddenly WR is a very thing position.

You're right. Any team that doesn't come away with a good WR must have the worst scouts going. This draft is loaded like I have never seen in my life with good (even great) WR's.

best player available

Does that mean you would take Gregory? He should def be the BPA

I certainly would. Pot issues are alarming but Randy Moss and Warren Sapp tested positive at the combine, so did Justin Houston.

Gregory is a stud prospect and can even allow us to let JPP wall potentially if needed

Does that mean you would take Gregory? He should def be the BPA

I certainly would. Pot issues are alarming but Randy Moss and Warren Sapp tested positive at the combine, so did Justin Houston.

Gregory is a stud prospect and can even allow us to let JPP wall potentially if needed

I can't imagine T.C. wanting Gregory if there is anyone else left on the board that is 1st tier talent (minus QB's of course). I do think they will go defense in the first though - just a hunch based on having a new defensive coordinator. Last year I was shocked when we went with OBJ (thankfully we did) and I believed it was because we had a new offensive coordinator.

With the amount of emphasis the Giants put on "character", I can't imagine them taking Gregory. But I've been wrong many times before trying to figure out what they will do in the draft.

Anything Cruz gives us this year will just be a surprise bonus in my mind.

Everything I've heard from my fiancée and the other physical therapist I saw was that he would either always be a shell of his former self, or that it will be another season before he's back the way he was.

Now he's a world class athlete, so I have some hope, but I'm treating anything he gives us as a bonus.

I think that regardless of Cruz's injury status, we need to find a WR in this draft. We need to prepare for EITHER Randel leaving or Cruz not returning to prior form. Both could be realistic. If we were to lose both, we'd want a strong running mate opposite OBJ.

I think that regardless of Cruz's injury status, we need to find a WR in this draft. We need to prepare for EITHER Randel leaving or Cruz not returning to prior form. Both could be realistic. If we were to lose both, we'd want a strong running mate opposite OBJ.

I think the Giants are looking seriously at Justin Hardy. If Hardy was 6'2 or bigger, he'd be a 1st round pick in discussions with Cooper and White. But he's 5'10" (measured at the combine after being told by the school he was 6'+). Even though he's short, he has long arms and bigger hands than both Cooper and White. He didn't play in the slot in college, but was their (East Carolina U.) "go to guy" for big plays down the side. Supposedly, his cuts are devastating and his route running is crisp and precise.

Giants used one of the private workouts with him so I think they're interested. He'll fall for no other reason than his height. He would be groomed for the slot and would be Cruz's backup plan.

sounds like a good mid-round pick, Bleedin.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of another wide receiver in the first round, not with so many other needs on the team. I'm really hoping the BPA is some big, mean MFer, offense or defense doesn't even matter, because this team just needs some big, mean MFers.

Not sure who they'll end up with, but the point is, that they need a guy. We don't need a 1st rounder, top 10 pick guy...but I'd be on the lookout in the 2nd.

First round almost has to be Defensive or Offensive lines. Given Schwarz coming back from injury, a 2nd year Richburg, another year for Pugh....I think offensive line still needs depth, but not sure we devote the first rounder at this point.

First three rounds - I'd see defensive line OR linebacker, offensive line, wide receiver....the order of which, would be all about value at the selection.

I'm all in on building the trenches. I still believe the real battle between winners and losers is in the trench. Not much glory, but it sets up all the other plays. You can have the best WR's in the league, but if your QB is throwing off his heels 2 seconds into the play and you can't make a hole for the RB - the team will suck. Likewise, if your defensive line gives the other team's QB 30 seconds to look around and is as porous as a sieve for RBs to run through - again, the team will suck.

When TC came to NY, he said he wanted to "own the trench". I think he's been a little sidelined since then, but that was his original premise.

if cruz doesn't return to prior form he's getting cut in march. pdouble has the right attitude. it's unfair to expect the world of him

I don't think he'd get cut in march.

1. I think they'd give him another year to get back.

2. If they did cut him I'd have to think it'd be post june 1st, since that would be 8 mil savings as opposed to 6 mil savings.