SportsWrath

Seph Fixes the Giants, 2023 Edition, Part Two: Joe Schoen Stop Being Stubborn and Listen to Me

Whelp, here we are again.  Seph is left to fix the Giants because our front office is totally inept. 

Imagine how things would be if we didn’t have to sign 4 offensive linemen because we had drafted well.  Just think of how things would be if we had a high 2nd round pick because we didn’t waste it in a package to get a 9 sack/year EDGE player

So Joe Schoen didn’t listen to me.  That’s fine, I’m happy to take his job in two years when it becomes obvious JJ McCarthy isn’t the answer.  But he should really start listening to me. 

Before we begin though, I’m going to lay the groundwork for how I came across the picks in my draft: 

This mock assumes that there are no trades.  If I were Schoen, I would be trying to trade out of the #6 spot if the big 3 QBs are all gone (Williams, Maye, Daniels).  Too many variables to go with in something like this though (who knows who the trade partners are, what they’d give up, etc), so I’m just saying “no trades.”  I’ll also say this though;  if we can trade with Minnesota so they can waste their pick on JJ McCarthy, we should be running to the phone to do so.

I threw out any mocks that didn’t have those three QBs going 1-2-3.  There were a few mocks where Maye or Daniels was available, but I didn’t count those. Those guys aren't gonna be there, and that's just a reality we have to deal with.  But hey, we did win three games with Tommy DeVito, and not only do we all feel great about that but the Commanders and Patriots are really kicking themselves that they lost those games in the Fall.  Man, did we show them. 

The first three rounds of these mocks were done through PFF’s mock draft simulator, but they want you to pay for later rounds.  Later rounds were completed through Pro Football Network’s mock draft simulator since it’s free. 

Ok, so without further ado, here’s who we should draft:

Round 1, Pick 6 overall: Malik Nabers, WR - The big 3 QBs and Odunze/Harrison are all off the board, but I don’t care because I’m running to pick Nabers up.  Aside from his ridiculous athletic ability, the guy gets all the little things right to get open - head fakes, false steps, etc.  I worry a bit because of his size and because he reminds me of a better Odell, but he should be a difference-maker for the next eight years if he stays healthy. 

Round 2, pick 47 overall:  Michael’s Junior Penis, QB - I’m initially kind of pissed to see Jordan Morgan, Kamren Kinchens, and T’Vondre Sweat all available with the pick we gave to Carolina, but I get over it when I see Penis.   I’m not sure he’ll actually be here in real life but I have seen reports that Penis has slumped on draft boards, and I’m happy to pick him up here.  Big arm, generally makes good decisions, and while I’m worried about his durability on a line that’s gone from historically bad to possibly average, I’m happy to try Penis here. 

Round 3, pick 70 - Trey Benson, RB.  Once again, I’m amazed that a player of Benson’s caliber is here (note to Joe Schoen;  this is how you do this, you snatch up talent that fell, you don’t reach for guys two and three rounds early).  Benson in my opinion is one of only three or four backs in the draft worth spending a pick on.  My gut tells me Dallas is going to take him the round before this, but the kid has decent-to-good vision, upper-level speed (though not elite), and good enough power to break through arm tackles.  Oh yeah, he catches and blocks too.  At this spot he’s a steal and I’m racing to draft him. 

Round 4, Pick 107 Calen King CB - King doesn’t have great size and isn’t the twitchiest corner in the world, and his 4.61 40 time scares me a little bit. But what he does have is smarts and tenacity. We’re thin at corner and I think this guy will develop into a good slot player who can also play the boundary in a pinch.   

Round 5, Pick 166 Jared Wiley, TE - another guy I can’t believe is here, he was supposed to go in the 4th. A little raw, but the athletic talent is undeniable.  If/when Darren Waller gets hurt or retires, this is a guy who can step in and you don’t lose that much.  With a few years of seasoning he may develop into a comparable player. 

Round 6, Pick 183 - LaDarious Henderson, G - Sure, he played OT at Michigan quite a bit, but he’s definitely a guard in the NFL.  Not sure how he’s still here, but the man plays with a low center of gravity and is strong and tenacious.  Definitely a quality backup right away with the ability to develop into a starter. 

So that’s it, that’s my team.  I have no idea what we’re going to do about safety, but Joe Schoen didn’t really leave me with many good options after passing on Jordan Poyer this offseason so I blame him.  As usual, you can take it to the bank that there’s at least six All-Pros in this list. 

1 hour ago, gmenroc said:

King is one I have had my eye on in drafts so far.  Cooper Beebe, G, in the 2nd is another one.

What did you think of Beebe?  I liked some of his tape (he's very big and strong) but he really seemed to have a hard time moving laterally and adjusting to strong DEs that can get him moving that way. 

4 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

What did you think of Beebe?  I liked some of his tape (he's very big and strong) but he really seemed to have a hard time moving laterally and adjusting to strong DEs that can get him moving that way. 

Everything I read says he is solid in both pass and run blocking and as a G, I don't see him going against many DEs....I haven't seen much on him as far as pulling or athleticism.  But given our G situation, if he can keep a DT off whomever the QB is gonna be for 3 or 4 seconds or keep a run lane open long enough so we can get 3 or 4 yards a carry...it would be an incredible improvement

BIC doesn't fix the Giants.

1 (6) - Malik Nabers - although I think he's gone before the Giants if he's there they need to take him.  

He's a QB best friend, can run all the routes as clean as Jefferson, is as quick as Hill and catches anything thrown his way. People talk about him being "small" but he's the norm for WRs now.  

He's a playmaker the Giants haven't had since OBJ. 

2 (47) Safety Javon Bullard - we replace McKinney with a safety who can actually play the ball and cover. Probably going before this pick but he would be a day one starter and lock down the backfield for the next 10 years. 

3 (70) QB Jordan Travis - Penix JR in round three. Can make all the throws, good ability to read the field, and athletic. However ended the year with a nasty leg injury. The Giants gives him a chance to heal and start in year two. 

19 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

BIC doesn't fix the Giants.

1 (6) - Malik Nabers - although I think he's gone before the Giants if he's there they need to take him.  

He's a QB best friend, can run all the routes as clean as Jefferson, is as quick as Hill and catches anything thrown his way. People talk about him being "small" but he's the norm for WRs now.  

He's a playmaker the Giants haven't had since OBJ. 

2 (47) Safety Javon Bullard - we replace McKinney with a safety who can actually play the ball and cover. Probably going before this pick but he would be a day one starter and lock down the backfield for the next 10 years. 

3 (70) QB Jordan Travis - Penix JR in round three. Can make all the throws, good ability to read the field, and athletic. However ended the year with a nasty leg injury. The Giants gives him a chance to heal and start in year two. 

Javon has my surname Bullard and I have not seen him before in these mocks.  Have to check to see where he fits on the family tree. ;)

20 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

Javon has my surname Bullard and I have not seen him before in these mocks.  Have to check to see where he fits on the family tree. ;)

Go figure not to long after my mock, BBV comes out with an article on him.

Well the dude is a DAWG so no doubt he comes from your loins TBCvP. He's everything you want in a free safety with his biggest knock being his size since he isn't the safety now a days who's a LB wearing a DB number.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2024/3/20/24106763/2024-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-javon-bullard-s-georgia-scouting-report-ny-giants

22 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Go figure not to long after my mock, BBV comes out with an article on him.

Well the dude is a DAWG so no doubt he comes from your loins TBCvP. He's everything you want in a free safety with his biggest knock being his size since he isn't the safety now a days who's a LB wearing a DB number.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2024/3/20/24106763/2024-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-javon-bullard-s-georgia-scouting-report-ny-giants

I love that position.  Thanks man.  I used to play free safety in high school.  It is the Everson Walls of positions.  You get to help out and intercept/knock down on WR's with the CBs having to slog it every play.  You do not have to do run support like a Strong Safety.  If the running back is getting to the free safety then you suck and are going to lose the game if you are lucky... get wrecked or hurt if you are not.