SportsWrath

Danny FUCKING "Silver Dollar"

Iceman_NYG

There was a lot of talk about when will Jones be able to put the team on his back and win with his arm. Few things that really stood out for me - one, he didnt just put the team on his back - it took his arm, legs AND his back (that hit on 4th and 1 conversion was scary actually) but he still just shook it off and soldiered on.

That stiff arm against Patrick fucking Peterson to get the 1st down....

Intentionally taking the sack so that Minny is forced to burn another time-out

Every 4th down conversion....

Taking off while constantly surveying the field and passing for a better play....

This kid is playing on a different level.

I think Daboll and DJ are probably the WORST - the absolute WORST in press conferences - havent seen anyone more boring than this. But ill take this boring duo over ANYBODY ANY DAY!

Said in another thread.  I was the hesitant, reluctant voice who needed to see that game where Jones did it with his arm.  Not so much a doubter because I thought he had it in him, he just needed to put it out there before the long term deal.

Yesterday, he erased all that hesitation and reluctancy.  And I too thought the situational awareness to take the sack instead of throwing it away was awfully impressive.  

He just went from 30m/35m per to 40m per.

I've always thought the guy has all the measurables including character, poise, and work ethic.   I was even mocked when I stated the obvious (that he's outplayed Eli so far in his career).    Even Rex Ryan this morning echoed my main point in that DJ doesn't have many weapons around him.     He's been my guy all along and I'm just happy for him and I hope his running is trimmed a great deal... I don't want to see him take hits as those will definitely shorten a man's NFL career.  

Honorable mention: Saquon's run for that TD where he carried that big ol Vikings DT into the end zone spelled BALLS.    

4 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Said in another thread.  I was the hesitant, reluctant voice who needed to see that game where Jones did it with his arm.  Not so much a doubter because I thought he had it in him, he just needed to put it out there before the long term deal.

Yesterday, he erased all that hesitation and reluctancy.  And I too thought the situational awareness to take the sack instead of throwing it away was awfully impressive.  

He just went from 30m/35m per to 40m per.

Yeah I went from previously wanting him back on a 3 year deal to now being good with a longer deal.  

I definitely don’t want him to stop running the ball.  That element in his game is a big part of why we’ve won and why he’s effective. 

1 hour ago, The P said:

Yeah I went from previously wanting him back on a 3 year deal to now being good with a longer deal.  

I definitely don’t want him to stop running the ball.  That element in his game is a big part of why we’ve won and why he’s effective. 

He needs to go through an offseason of slide drills tho if he's gonna keep running.

I think if he gets a legitimate WR in here he may not need to as much.  My concern becomes longevity when he is signed long term.  He has the mental side of the game...and I don't mind him using his athleticism while he has it...just want to be prepared for the 5 or so years late in his career where he can still play, but running won't be an option really.

1 hour ago, jranieli said:

A big difference than last year is that he seems on page with the wide receivers. He throws are tight and accurate and he can run. Much better coaching. 

His decision making beyond limiting turnovers is much improved.  Seems to get through his progressions and has developed a feel for the pressure while eyes are downfield.

5 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

He needs to go through an offseason of slide drills tho if he's gonna keep running.

I think if he gets a legitimate WR in here he may not need to as much.  My concern becomes longevity when he is signed long term.  He has the mental side of the game...and I don't mind him using his athleticism while he has it...just want to be prepared for the 5 or so years late in his career where he can still play, but running won't be an option really.

Exactly.  The point I made about not wanting him to run is another way of saying they need to get him some weapons.

19 hours ago, Nas said:

I've always thought the guy has all the measurables including character, poise, and work ethic.   I was even mocked when I stated the obvious (that he's outplayed Eli so far in his career).    Even Rex Ryan this morning echoed my main point in that DJ doesn't have many weapons around him.     He's been my guy all along and I'm just happy for him and I hope his running is trimmed a great deal... I don't want to see him take hits as those will definitely shorten a man's NFL career.  

Honorable mention: Saquon's run for that TD where he carried that big ol Vikings DT into the end zone spelled BALLS.    

That was the ex Giant - Dalvin Tomlinson :)

15 hours ago, gmenroc said:

His decision making beyond limiting turnovers is much improved.  Seems to get through his progressions and has developed a feel for the pressure while eyes are downfield.

There was a few instances when Evan Neal was being manhandled and he knew just when to get rid of the ball and still put in a tight throw. It took some time to blossom - due to inept coaching and constant change of OCs and plays and personnel - but I think he is finally getting into the groove of an NFL QB.

7 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

There was a few instances when Evan Neal was being manhandled and he knew just when to get rid of the ball and still put in a tight throw. It took some time to blossom - due to inept coaching and constant change of OCs and plays and personnel - but I think he is finally getting into the groove of an NFL QB.

Neal needs to improve. 

I wouldn't say great or terrible...less than average for sure.  His balance is still an issue that is exploited by faster DEs.  Just a very meh year.  

Year 2 should tell much more of the story...will he develop or flounder in mediocrity?  I think he has shown when he is locked on someone, the talent needed to succeed.  He has some stuff to work on certainly, but nothing this year says he is hopeless in any way.

I’d say he was about on par given realistically low rookie expectations. 

I think he’s been better than his PFF grade - they have him as something like worst in the league, which doesn’t seem right. I think that is because he’s so huge he can win ugly yet grade poorly. 

but he has a long way to go. Edges with good technique and just enough get off abuse him right now.

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

I think he’s been better than his PFF grade - they have him as something like worst in the league, which doesn’t seem right. I think that is because he’s so huge he can win ugly yet grade poorly. 

but he has a long way to go. Edges with good technique and just enough get off abuse him right now.

I thought he’d be better out the gate.  Never said I was worried yet though, just that he needs to improve.  

11 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

It’s up to the coaches to recognize that and get him some help.  I think when he wasn’t playing due to injury, the overall performance of the OL declined.

10 hours ago, The P said:

I thought he’d be better out the gate.  Never said I was worried yet though, just that he needs to improve.  

Yeah Neal got the baptism by fire this year much like Thomas his rookie campaign. 

You got assume to every DC worth his salt was looking at the Giants Oline pointing to the lone rookie and saying "we blitz there" lol 

There are very few positions rookies convert from college to the NFL their first year, generally it's a pretty straight forward role like pass rushers or RBs who have done the same thing since highschool.

It's why I find the rookie CB there the Jets took his season so fascinating, "Sauce" Gardner. He went from college to being THE best CB in the NFL, and to think the Texans took the other guy. 

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

Yeah Neal got the baptism by fire this year much like Thomas his rookie campaign. 

You got assume to every DC worth his salt was looking at the Giants Oline pointing to the lone rookie and saying "we blitz there" lol 

There are very few positions rookies convert from college to the NFL their first year, generally it's a pretty straight forward role like pass rushers or RBs who have done the same thing since highschool.

It's why I find the rookie CB there the Jets took his season so fascinating, "Sauce" Gardner. He went from college to being THE best CB in the NFL, and to think the Texans took the other guy. 

no clue what the Texans were thinking. Granted Sauce was local for me, I saw a lot of him that season, so I may have been a little biased, but on those rare occasions that he was challenged he routinely made good college receivers look worthless. His film was stupid good and his measurables are next level.