SportsWrath

So, offensive playcalling

Virginia Giant

This has been a dream season so far, considering expectations.  But I think more than a few of us have quietly questioned the offensive playcalling early in the game.  And I think the questions have been largely silent because of the winning, rightfully so.  But, it is absolutely a trend that the Giants rely on Saquon much less in the first half.  In fact his carries increase with each quarter.  And he is pretty close to having double the second half carries compared to first half (61 to 102 respectively).  While his receptions are evenly split between halves.  (13 to 15, with a slight edge in Yard per catch in the second).  

Is this a deliberate effort to get the passing game going or save saquon for the second half?  He is still finishing with and average of over 20 carries per game, which is what I guess you want to target considering his injury history.  Plus 3.5 receptions per game.  

I mean I understand if that is the plan, but it isn't like we're even really trying to establish the run much until the second half.  Jones 1st and 2nd half splits for attempts are 114-106, which is basically a split, but then Breida's splits are 7-16.  I don't think Breida has played poorly at all, the stats don't show it but I feel like I see some really solid running when he gets the ball.  

Sorry for the ramble, just seems week after week they use Saquon sparingly in the first half and the offense can't get into a rhythm until the 2nd half, of course DJ has more yards per attempt, TD's, etc in the 2nd half once Saquon is rolling.  

11 minutes ago, K3VIN said:

The OC doesn’t Trust Danny and knows they just can’t run Barkley in to the ground. I personally think the hope is to keep the game close and not let the Defense stack the box. 

Yeah. But they do give him the chance to show he can do it. Then he doesn’t, and they play old fashioned football in the second half.

doesn’t work quite as well down an offensive tackle and tight end 

I think it’s a product of what defenses of other teams play.   They don’t respect our passing game.  The Giants would naturally shy away from running when they’re loading the box to stop Barkley.   By the 2nd half, those DLs are tired and the run game kicks into gear.

I dont know if they have a system - lets try a bunch of shit, keep things close - and make the necessary adjustments and execute the REAL game plan in the 2nd half maybe...

I think we got a little too cute and did a little too much overthinking in the Seattle game. Their Run-D has sucked all season - there was no reason to go apeshit genius and try to throw the ball in the first half and not let Barkley even touch the ball the 1st 3 drives. It should have some smart designed runs to the edge, a combo of Barkley and Breida and DJ and just run the fucking ball down their throats right from the get-go. Look at what the Titans did - they were starting Willis who attemped like 10 passes and everyone knew they were gonna run. So they did just that - smartly designed run plays all game. Dont know what the Giants were trying to do throwing against a league bottom Run D - we have no one to fucking throw to.

Even then the game was close - those 2 Ritchie James fumbles that immediately put the D back on the field on a short field and literally in the Red Zone really killed us and we couldnt recover or execute what we wanted to I feel. We cant suddenly start chucking the ball downfield to guys who cant get even a yard separation on average.

5 hours ago, Nas said:

I think it’s a product of what defenses of other teams play.   They don’t respect our passing game.  The Giants would naturally shy away from running when they’re loading the box to stop Barkley.   By the 2nd half, those DLs are tired and the run game kicks into gear.

This