SportsWrath

Pre FA mock draft.

BlueInCanada

So with FA around the corner figured I'd drop my first mock.

I assume we are dropping players for cap space and hopefully adding one or two decent starters, I wouldnt expect any big splashes, not till the year after when the Giants have 100 plus million in cap. 

My basic assumptions 1) We sign someone to start at guard or RT in FA. 2) We sign an edge guy to pair with Ojulari. 

The mock;

5) S Kyle Hamilton. Wink gets the next Ed Reed. Kids a physical phenomenon and when paired with McKinney they become the best backfield safety combo in the NFL for years. Wink loves his safeties so I think this is a lock.

7) I've been banging the table for this kid since week 4, C Tyler Linderbaum. Sure some pundit will say something about positinal  value blah blah blah but when the kid goes into the HoF in 20 years no one will remember where he was picked. Probably the best center prospect to come into the draft in the last 30 years. 

37) LB Brian Asamouah. Another thing Wink loves is his heavy hitting LBs and look no further than this kid. Run stopper and can get out to the flats. With Martinez possibly gone we need to fix the gaping hole in the LB core and this guy does just that. 

69) QB Bailey Zappe. I have a feeling Daboll and Kafka get to pick a QB this draft and Zappe would be the guy in the third. Air raid QB who has a good football knowledge and a arm that can make any throw. Problem is his consistency and lack of playing an NFL scheme. He will sit on the bench for a year or two but could be a surprise pick who turns out to be a starter or quality backup. 

79) TE Cole Turner. Highly athletic TE who can block and pass catch, wasn't really featured till last year though.

109) G Dylan Parham. A RT convert to guard out of injuries on the team and did pretty well in his role. Would have the benefit of being able to possibly play RT in a pinch off the bench.  

146) RB Jerome Ford. Think Jacobs who is faster and smarter. If he does well at the combine I wouldn't expect him this far down, so insert another RB here..

171) CB Cordale Flott. An outside CB who played some decent competition. Also has ST experience returning punts and kicks. 

183) WR Tre Turner. Big body WR with some speed. Also a ST guy with experience returning. Problem with mental drops though i.e. thinking of the run after catch before making the catch. 

Not bad. I haven't watched tape on Hamilton yet but Linderbaum I think is gonna have a gold jacket when it's all said and done. I've never seen a center with that blend of strength and athleticism; I'll be pissed if we don't grab him. 

I love Asamoah but I think 37 is way too high for him. Id scoop him up in the third but the LB/safety tweeners always seem to be boom or bust and there's safer picks to be had there. 

Bailey Zappe is going to give you everything a veteran backup provides, plus potential... at a fraction of the price. He's a nice-looking player. He's mostly played from a clean pocket so it'll be uh... interesting... to see how he does here. 

Cole Turner is a nice, all-around player. 

I don't like Dylan Parham and I don't understand why so many pundits are high in him. Small school, undersized, was beaten regularly at the senior bowl, tape is just mediocre. Maybe he can stick at center but he's just too small to make it I think. 

Haven't watched film on the other guys yet. 

Nice draft. 

4 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Not bad. I haven't watched tape on Hamilton yet but Linderbaum I think is gonna have a gold jacket when it's all said and done. I've never seen a center with that blend of strength and athleticism; I'll be pissed if we don't grab him. 

I love Asamoah but I think 37 is way too high for him. Id scoop him up in the third but the LB/safety tweeners always seem to be boom or bust and there's safer picks to be had there. 

Bailey Zappe is going to give you everything a veteran backup provides, plus potential... at a fraction of the price. He's a nice-looking player. He's mostly played from a clean pocket so it'll be uh... interesting... to see how he does here. 

I don't like Dylan Parham and I don't understand why so many pundits are high in him. Small school, undersized, was beaten regularly at the senior bowl, tape is just mediocre. Maybe he can stick at center but he's just too small to make it I think. 

Nice draft. 

I’m just tired of not addressing the OL in. Serious way.   We need a right tackle… I wanna see us grab the center you guys are talking about and a right tackle in the first or 2nd round.

4 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Nice draft. 

Asamoah is a reach but I feel he's a day one thumper at LB in a weak LB core we have, I wouldn't be disappointed with another LB here, I just like his speed and athleticism, and he just seems to have a nose for getting to the ball carrier something we are sorely going to lack of Martinez is cut. 

See Parham in the 5th I think is a steal since he's falling.

He's played RT and Guard and did alright when he did, sure his senior bowl wasn't great but I think for a bench/depth guy who's going to be cheap for four years, we couldn't do much better.

But once again another guard here would be fine as well. 

These late round guys are gonna change come the combine and post free agency.

3 minutes ago, Nas said:

I’m just tired of not addressing the OL in. Serious way.   We need a right tackle… I wanna see us grab the center you guys are talking about and a right tackle in the first or 2nd round.

I think we go sign a guy in FA.

A rookie RT doesn't help Jones this year.

A veteran one does. 

That guy from the Chiefs I think is it if he doesn't get franchise tagged.

Regarding Linderbaum...if he makes it past us like he does in most mocks I've seen...the Eagles end up with him to replace Kelce on their line.

Drafting him also keeps him frim the Eagles.  Ekwonu and Linderbaum please.  If we can trade down to 10 or 11, puck up an extra 2nd rounder, and still get Ekwonu and Linderbaum, it'd be the shit.

54 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

Regarding Linderbaum...if he makes it past us like he does in most mocks I've seen...the Eagles end up with him to replace Kelce on their line.

Drafting him also keeps him frim the Eagles.  Ekwonu and Linderbaum please.  If we can trade down to 10 or 11, puck up an extra 2nd rounder, and still get Ekwonu and Linderbaum, it'd be the shit.

I want Linderbaum and Ekwonu... give me that Broke Back line magic.  Everything flows from that.

13 hours ago, gmenroc said:

I also want the the TE and Punter you had mentioned.    

14 minutes ago, Nas said:

I also want the the TE and Punter you had mentioned.    

I was thinking of mocking a punter, but 9/10 these guy don't get drafted and you just bring them in for camp tryouts. 

I wouldn't be opposed if we traded down a pick like the fourth for some extra picks in the later rounds to get a punter though.

There's that kid out of Georgia? Aussie kid with a booming leg and decent accuracy.

Luckily accuracy can be taught booming punts can't.

9 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

I was thinking of mocking a punter, but 9/10 these guy don't get drafted and you just bring them in for camp tryouts. 

I wouldn't be opposed if we traded down a pick like the fourth for some extra picks in the later rounds to get a punter though.

There's that kid out of Georgia? Aussie kid with a booming leg and decent accuracy.

Luckily accuracy can be taught booming punts can't.

There are two punters worth drafting in 7th this year...Araiza and Camarda.  I wouldn't hesitate with a 7th to ensure we get one.

And the TE I want is McBride.  He's the top TE...so he may not make out of the 1st...especially given he can block and catch.  I know GB is looking for a TE...we should see about getting Engram to them somehow so we can get McBride