SportsWrath

Schoen’s intro presser

Mr. P

Makes sense really. Gives him a year to evaluate Jones considering there's no homerun QB in this year's draft. Initially I was hoping they'd trade away 5 and 7 for more picks, but if you're keeping Jones, better to put as much talent around him as you can. If he's still no good, Shoen can get a QB next year. But he has to get a better vet QB though considering Jones injury history.

"It's really just about progress," Schoen said. "We need to see progress, we need to see the team getting better, we need to see competition, we need to see the offense get better, we need to see the defense get better. We want to see progress throughout the entire football operation is what we're looking for. We're not going to make any playoff statements or anything like that. We just want to see progress and see that we're building to something in the future and we're going to build the foundation as soon as we can."

Well...I definitely don't foresee trading for Watson...that you can trust I think (and hope).

Further, I think having Jones as well as competition at the position is fairly accurate.  He did not say where he intends that competition to come from.  It ain't Mike..we know that much

22 hours ago, BronxRik said:

Makes sense really. Gives him a year to evaluate Jones considering there's no homerun QB in this year's draft. Initially I was hoping they'd trade away 5 and 7 for more picks, but if you're keeping Jones, better to put as much talent around him as you can. If he's still no good, Shoen can get a QB next year. But he has to get a better vet QB though considering Jones injury history.

This...

See now this is the right attitude, not some whiny hand rubbing "You need to fire this guy for me to consider taking the job or your cap situation makes this job impossible for me to consider, etc.

https://www.audacy.com/wfan/sports/giants/john-mara-booked-joe-schoen-middle-seat-on-flight-to-ny

W F A N
WFAN Sports Radio 101.9 FM/66AM New York

The Giants conducted their second round of general manager interviews in person after using videoconferencing for the first round.

When it was time to bring in Joe Schoen for his second interview, Big Blue and co-owner John Mara experienced a slight hurdle.

The team could only get the Bills assistant GM a middle seat on a flight to New York, in the last row of the plane next to the restroom.

When Schoen arrived at Newark Airport and didn’t express any complaints about his trip from Buffalo, Mara knew he might have found his man to lead the Giants out of their current five-year darkness.

“He never complained about it a bit,” Mara said. “So I like him already.”

As for Schoen, there was no reason to complain. He was taking a short flight to a potential promotion that would give him the opportunity to restore a once-proud franchise within the biggest sports market in the country.

“I’m going to interview for the Giants general manager,” Schoen said. “I’ll ride on the wing if you need me to.

“That’s not me. I roll up my sleeves, put me wherever you want to put me, I’m going to interview for the New York Giants, I’ll ride on the wing if you need me to. I didn’t care where they put me, that’s not me. I’ll sit wherever.”

Schoen was used to a private jet during his time with the Bills thanks to team owners Terry and Kim Pegula, and while Giants ownership has a private jet of his own, it was not available on short notice to bring out Schoen to East Rutherford. So, Mara kept it blunt with Schoen, and one potentially uncomfortable flight later, the Giants had their next general manager.

“John told me, ‘Our private jet around here is called JetBlue,’” Schoen laughed.

11 hours ago, Tempest said:

See now this is the right attitude, not some whiny hand rubbing "You need to fire this guy for me to consider taking the job or your cap situation makes this job impossible for me to consider, etc.

https://www.audacy.com/wfan/sports/giants/john-mara-booked-joe-schoen-middle-seat-on-flight-to-ny

W F A N
WFAN Sports Radio 101.9 FM/66AM New York

The Giants conducted their second round of general manager interviews in person after using videoconferencing for the first round.

When it was time to bring in Joe Schoen for his second interview, Big Blue and co-owner John Mara experienced a slight hurdle.

The team could only get the Bills assistant GM a middle seat on a flight to New York, in the last row of the plane next to the restroom.

When Schoen arrived at Newark Airport and didn’t express any complaints about his trip from Buffalo, Mara knew he might have found his man to lead the Giants out of their current five-year darkness.

“He never complained about it a bit,” Mara said. “So I like him already.”

As for Schoen, there was no reason to complain. He was taking a short flight to a potential promotion that would give him the opportunity to restore a once-proud franchise within the biggest sports market in the country.

“I’m going to interview for the Giants general manager,” Schoen said. “I’ll ride on the wing if you need me to.

“That’s not me. I roll up my sleeves, put me wherever you want to put me, I’m going to interview for the New York Giants, I’ll ride on the wing if you need me to. I didn’t care where they put me, that’s not me. I’ll sit wherever.”

Schoen was used to a private jet during his time with the Bills thanks to team owners Terry and Kim Pegula, and while Giants ownership has a private jet of his own, it was not available on short notice to bring out Schoen to East Rutherford. So, Mara kept it blunt with Schoen, and one potentially uncomfortable flight later, the Giants had their next general manager.

“John told me, ‘Our private jet around here is called JetBlue,’” Schoen laughed.

Not surprising.   I was once promised a job after showing up to the interview on crutches in blizzard conditions (was recovering from a torn Achilles surgery).    It didn’t happen though 😂