SportsWrath

Shepard: "Judge is what we needed"

BlueInCanada

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/news/sterling-shepard-joe-judge-was-what-giants-needed

"He's a tough coach, man," Shepard said of Judge. "He's tough coach, but that's what we needed. For the previous two coaches, we didn't do any conditioning or anything like that. But I will say last year was my first year of really having a conditioning--it kind of felt like Oklahoma all over again."

This makes so much sense, Shurmur and MacAttacks' teams had the worst conditioning I've seen on the Giants.

• BlueInCanada changed the title to Shepard: "Judge is what we needed"

I don't remember any players looking tired in the 4th last year.

I fucking love coach Judge and the culture he's created. Daniel Jones had all the WRs, linemen, and RBs down to Arizona for practice, and Logan Ryan got all the DBs together in Florida for drills and comraderie.

For the first time since Coughlin, it really feels like the team is BUILDING something instead of just showing up for work.

It felt that way in 2016 too, until about the second quarter of the playoff game, so I'm trying to temper my expectations.

I noticed at the Bengals game, having a good view of the Giants sideline, that everyone seemed fresh. And the only guy who was consistently on his ass was Will Hernandez, who only played special teams snaps that week. Generally it seemed a collegiate team atmosphere, really fun to see and to root for.

In a couple of years we'll be talking about how Judge is too hard on the players running them through conditioning programs from the 1950s and causing injuries, and free agents refuse to come to NY because of it.

51 minutes ago, Tempest said:

In a couple of years we'll be talking about how Judge is too hard on the players running them through conditioning programs from the 1950s and causing injuries, and free agents refuse to come to NY because of it.

Wasn't that the narrative last offseason?

"He's making his guys run in minicamp!?!????!! He's obviously already lost this team and no one will ever come to play for him"

Meanwhile we landed the too WR free agent and a bunch of others. 

Sports media is just complete trash. 

22 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Wasn't that the narrative last offseason?

"He's making his guys run in minicamp!?!????!! He's obviously already lost this team and no one will ever come to play for him"

Meanwhile we landed the too WR free agent and a bunch of others. 

Sports media is just complete trash. 

That was the sport pundits, soon it will be us.  We didn't say it last year because after a few years of losing we simply see a hard training camp as righteous punishment for the years of losing.

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

That was the sport pundits, soon it will be us.  We didn't say it last year because after a few years of losing we simply see a hard training camp as righteous punishment for the years of losing.

I thought everyone here was in agreement that a hard camp usually equals a winning team. 

You need to instill the culture of hardwork to get any team to respond to the adversity and wear that a season brings.

It's why the Pats put together one of the greatest dynasties the NFL will ever see, Billycheeks ran his camps like it was do or die every practice. 

13 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

I thought everyone here was in agreement that a hard camp usually equals a winning team. 

You need to instill the culture of hardwork to get any team to respond to the adversity and wear that a season brings.

It's why the Pats put together one of the greatest dynasties the NFL will ever see, Billycheeks ran his camps like it was do or die every practice. 

Remember Coughlin, I swear half the board blames him for injuries still happening to this team.  

I don't blame Coughlin necessarily.  He was old school and went with what he knew.  Old school strength and conditioning coupled with losing the locker room. Not that guys hated him at the end...just seemed like the course was run, message got stale.

That said, the youth, the energy, the openness that Judge brings is awfully refreshing and motivational.  I am stoked he was the choice and haven't heard anything from him yet that I disagree with.  He demands hard work and doesn't accept half-assing anything.

That is exceptionally important given the focus on keeping guys healthy has taken so many snaps away.  You only get 50 reps and you hit half of them half heartedly?  What kind of effort is that?

I think that's the Patriots way...maximize effort.  Find a guy who has 75% of the ability of the top guys, but gives twice the effort.  That's what Judge seems to have instilled.  That want-to attitude...the uys who want more practice to get better...not the guys who are simply naturally gifted looking to collect a check for as long as possible.

On 5/19/2021 at 9:26 AM, Sephiroth said:

I don't remember any players looking tired in the 4th last year.

I fucking love coach Judge and the culture he's created. Daniel Jones had all the WRs, linemen, and RBs down to Arizona for practice, and Logan Ryan got all the DBs together in Florida for drills and comraderie.

For the first time since Coughlin, it really feels like the team is BUILDING something instead of just showing up for work.

One word: Yoga.   :rimshot: