SportsWrath

Giants Nation

Sephiroth

To be fair no one has really said this since he was traded.

Was/Am I pissed off we traded at the time the most prolific WR in Giants history? Yes.

Am I glad we got rid of him before the self implosion? Yes.

But hindsight is 20/20 if he went to the Browns and had two probowl years we would still be saying how much of a fuck up Gettleman is.

Now I think he's just a fuck up because of the Williams trade.

3 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Darius Slayton - 100+ yards, 2TD, 1 game

Odell Beckham - <100 yards, 1TD, 2 games

Giants Nation: OMG WHY DID WE LIT ODELL GO GENTLEMAN GOTTA GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still upset over letting Odell go... Having him AND Slayton on the team would have been superb... 

On 9/18/2020 at 5:16 PM, Tempest said:

I think it is interesting how people are still talking about Darius Slayton as a guy who could be a number one receiver.

Darius Slayton proved that he is that receiver last year.

I think he proved he's a very solid #2 who can make you pay for not paying attention to him.

He hasnt taken over a game yet, by that I mean, no defense is sitting there wetting their pants they have to face Slayton.

I'd like to see what he does against a true lock down corner in the NFL, or when a defense starts to shade extra coverage his way (against the Steelers he faced a lot of lone coverage), then it will be up to Slayton to prove he can run as a true X in the NFL.

20 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I think he proved he's a very solid #2 who can make you pay for not paying attention to him.

He hasnt taken over a game yet, by that I mean, no defense is sitting there wetting their pants they have to face Slayton.

I'd like to see what he does against a true lock down corner in the NFL, or when a defense starts to shade extra coverage his way (against the Steelers he faced a lot of lone coverage), then it will be up to Slayton to prove he can run as a true X in the NFL.

I've been really impressed so far. I thought last year he could be a top-flight #3WR or a starting #2 in the league, but now I'm thinking he may end up as a top-flight #2. I guess we'll see this year. 

6 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I've been really impressed so far. I thought last year he could be a top-flight #3WR or a starting #2 in the league, but now I'm thinking he may end up as a top-flight #2. I guess we'll see this year. 

Oh don't get me wrong, he's far and away one of the biggest surprises from last year, a guy who was drafted in the fourth who was going to compete for a slot/#3WR spot, maybe even just a special teams guy.

Now he's established himself as a very solid outside WR with a pair of jets on him, who's jersey is probably going to be added to my collection sometime soon.

I just want to see what he does when the defense really starts paying attention to him.

The Bears should be a good test, I assume Fuller will be across from him most of the game.

Slayton is off to a pretty good start and not showing any signs so far of a slump, picking up right where he left off.  2TD, 100+ yards is the story of the Giants offense last week when we got nothing else going, I call that taking over the game.  Sounds like a number one receiver to me only difference is we lost the game.   

19 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Slayton is off to a pretty good start and not showing any signs so far of a slump, picking up right where he left off.  2TD, 100+ yards is the story of the Giants offense last week when we got nothing else going, I call that taking over the game.  Sounds like a number one receiver to me only difference is we lost the game.   

The way I see it, he had one big catch of 41 yards for the TD, to keep the game alive in the first quarter, then did nothing the rest of the first half, his next reception only came in the third quarter, his next TD came in garbage time of the game in the fourth.

Once again not saying he isnt a good WR, but he disappeared this game after his first TD, just like the rest of the offense.

#1 WRs don't just disappear for quarters of football, especally when the game is still close like it was in the second/third quarter. 

Slatyon;

1st - 2 receptions, 52 yards, TD

2nd - nothing

3rd - 2 receptions, 28 yards

4th - 2 receptions, 22 yards TD (final 2 minutes of the game)

11 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

The way I see it, he had one big catch of 41 yards for the TD, to keep the game alive in the first quarter, then did nothing the rest of the first half, his next reception only came in the third quarter, his next TD came in garbage time of the game in the fourth.

Once again not saying he isnt a good WR, but he disappeared this game after his first TD, just like the rest of the offense.

#1 WRs don't just disappear for quarters of football, especally when the game is still close like it was in the second/third quarter. 

Slatyon;

2nd - nothing

Juju Smith-Schuster is a number one receiver.  He had a similar performance last week.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

Slatyon;

2nd - nothing

6 receptions, 92 yards, 2 TDs.... is disappearing? That prorates out to 96 receptions, 1472 yards, and 32 TDs.

He can take every second quarter off all year if he keeps producing like that. 

57 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

6 receptions, 92 yards, 2 TDs.... is disappearing? That prorates out to 96 receptions, 1472 yards, and 32 TDs.

He can take every second quarter off all year if he keeps producing like that. 

Yes disappearing acts after the first quarter isn't something that typically your primary guy should do.

3 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Yes but he's a proven WR you can look back on games he's dominated in.

Slayton is on his way there but he still hasn't been the guy defenses tee off on.

I can look back on games Slayton has dominated in.  Opponents are working on limiting the effectiveness of Slayton, he is not being ignored on the field and therefore producing.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Fun fact:

Despite Odell's "OMG WE NEVR SHUD HAVE TRADED HIM GENTLEMAN GOTTA GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!" week, he and Darius Slayton have the exact same number of receiving yards this season. 

Fun fact OBJ has just as many touchdowns as our offence the last three weeks.

The Yankees also have more runs than Giants have points the last three weeks.

Fun fact this offence is awful and is going to tank Jones career before it even began.

On 9/27/2020 at 3:19 PM, BlueInCanada said:

So is Slayton still a #1 WR if he's been neutralized for two weeks by back up corners?

Food for thought

The Giants cannot run the ball because of ineffective blocking from the offensive line and primary TE,  all you have to do is stop the pass.  Stopping one WR is not that hard for any team in the NFL in this scenario.  I'm curious as to why Corey Coleman isn't back yet, he could definitely help Slayton out there.