SportsWrath

Closer...

Sephiroth

The pass rushers who actually hit the market this year was garbage, most of the guys who were going to hit FA got traded/signed, Barrett, Buckner, Jones, Armstead, Dupree, Fowler, etc.

The ones remaining are the ones with risk/reward to them.

Clowney is still sitting there waiting for someone to give him 15+ million a year like an idiot.

Golden had a resurgence last year but he's on the other side of his career and he isnt a primary pass rusher, he's not a guy who's going to win you the game or make the play when it matters, he needs someone across from him, however he's going to be the guy who shows up every week and goes 100% and will get to the QB occasionally.

Was last year a fluke? Maybe but we get him for a steal to see if it was.

I see what you mean, but I don't think Clowney "shows up every week." Dude missed his whole rookie season and (I think) has only ever played one full season. 

Pair that with some pretty unremarkable seasons stats-wise and you can see why it's caveat emptor with that guy. 

45 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Allegedly Golden had better offers, but wanted over $10mm per year which no-one was willing to offer...and now he has a much worse deal than those better offers. He needs to fire his agent.

Im thinking he was looking for a multi year deal, three years or so would take him to 32 and he could then retire or maybe find another team for one more year.

At his age if his play declines this year he won't be a starter much longer and will have an even harder time being picked up by an NFL teams as a 30 year old pass rusher with only one or two good years to his name.

I don't blame him thinking he would have more interest I'm sure if this Covid thing wasn't going he would of been signed somewhere on multi year deal. But as you said him and his agent took the gamble.

This pandemic really made the free agency period a strange one.

8 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Im thinking he was looking for a multi year deal, three years or so would take him to 32 and he could then retire or maybe find another team for one more year.

At his age if his play declines this year he won't be a starter much longer and will have an even harder time being picked up by an NFL teams as a 30 year old pass rusher with only one or two good years to his name.

I don't blame him thinking he would have more interest I'm sure if this Covid thing wasn't going he would of been signed somewhere on multi year deal. But as you said him and his agent took the gamble.

This pandemic really made the free agency period a strange one.

Yeah it really has. I'm hearing that teams don't wanna sign players at this point for a variety of COVID-related reasons... exposure to the virus, not knowing new players' temperaments in regards to safety, not knowing what will happen with guaranteed portions of their pay in a potentially shortened season, etc. 

He also had an injury history in the two years prior to the giants, missing 17 games in that span, and underperforming in the 15 games he did play (only 2.5 sacks), so injury history could have been a factor in making teams reluctant to offer a multi year or big deal.

8 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Closer... 

Honestly, getting our best pass rusher back for 4 mil next season would be a fucking steal. I really like Golden and slapping that tag on him was brilliant. 

It's a fucking shame no one interested in him... he plays hard... probably harder than anyone on that defense... Fuck is wrong with Getty... pay the man n stop being a dick, dick. 

21 minutes ago, Nas said:

It's a fucking shame no one interested in him... he plays hard... probably harder than anyone on that defense... Fuck is wrong with Getty... pay the man n stop being a dick, dick. 

You kind of answered your own question.

He plays hard but doesn't really have the results or impact to show it, he's not even that good of a pass rusher in all honesty.

Not everyone is a play maker in the NFL even if they think they are. 

Look at the guy we signed from Green Bay he's younger and has had a very similiar career up to Golden in this point, he only got 4.5 million.

If one of these other pass rushers can find a way to make a impact this year Golden should have hopefully his best year yet. While 29 is getting up there in age, he is still considered in his prime. Last year for that though. 

Im glad he will be returning this year. He is one of the only guys to get pressure on the QB at all. The Giants at this point are a better team with him. 

4 hours ago, JayD said:

If one of these other pass rushers can find a way to make a impact this year Golden should have hopefully his best year yet. While 29 is getting up there in age, he is still considered in his prime. Last year for that though. 

Im glad he will be returning this year. He is one of the only guys to get pressure on the QB at all. The Giants at this point are a better team with him. 

Don't get me wrong Golden is an alright player I see him as a poor man's Tuck, alright at getting to the QB and alright in the run game, he will help hold down one side of the Dline.

He just isn't worth a multi year high $$$ deal right now IMO.

Especially given that the Giants have invested in a lot of young players at the pass rusher a position, Carter, Ximines, Fackrell, Brown, Coughlin. Hell even McKinney is a demon coming off the edge, and they are hoping Williams steps up.

Golden is a good stop gap player, he is not the future.

18 hours ago, Nas said:

The giants offered him a multi year deal, but one that was under $10mm per year, that he apparently rejected. My guess is it was something like 2-3 years and $7-8mm per year.

Now he's getting half of that for just one season, so again, Golden's agent should be fired.

22 hours ago, mastershake said:

The giants offered him a multi year deal, but one that was under $10mm per year, that he apparently rejected. My guess is it was something like 2-3 years and $7-8mm per year.

Now he's getting half of that for just one season, so again, Golden's agent should be fired.

Well damn I didn't know that... I recant my earlier statement. 

1 hour ago, Nas said:

Well damn I didn't know that... I recant my earlier statement. 

I should have said the Giants were have rumored to offer him that, so take it with a grain of salt, but it sounds plausible since he didn't sign a deal with anyone.

Nobody is more surprised than I am about Markus Golden.  He will have to prove it again this year what he can do on the field.  I like that motivation over a player trying to prove he is worth what he got.

On 7/2/2020 at 11:17 AM, BlueInCanada said:

Don't get me wrong Golden is an alright player I see him as a poor man's Tuck, alright at getting to the QB and alright in the run game, he will help hold down one side of the Dline.

He just isn't worth a multi year high $$$ deal right now IMO.

Especially given that the Giants have invested in a lot of young players at the pass rusher a position, Carter, Ximines, Fackrell, Brown, Coughlin. Hell even McKinney is a demon coming off the edge, and they are hoping Williams steps up.

Golden is a good stop gap player, he is not the future.

Oh for sure. I wouldn’t want to give him a big contract either. I’m just saying this played out, so far anyway, as well as could be expected. 

We get him one more year, and he is still motivated to try and get that big contract next year, so he is gonna play hard.