SportsWrath

Carter vs Ximines

Tempest

These are the two players that most are expecting to deliver our pass rush.  Carter has slightly more experience, Ximines started showing some excellent production towards the end of the season.  Ideally we'd want both of them to succeed.  Carter had a better first year than second, a combination of being put into coverage more than being sent after the QB.  Under a new defensive coordinator Giants will have to decide if Carter is better in coverage or going after the QB because I think at this point he needs to be doing just one instead of both.  This was the issue with his college play, team had him do both and the results were average at best.

Ximines is now looking at year two and the expectations to significantly improve are high, just as they were for Carter.

So who is your favorite going into the preseason Carter or Ximines?

I like Ximines as a project player better simply because they are using him how he was used in college as a pass rusher/run defender.

I'm sick of hearing about how Carter has had an amazing camp blah blah blah just show me some results it's year three.

Your right they have to either just make Carter an off ball LB or a pass rusher stop trying to make him do both.

Personally I think Carter would excell if they just put him at LB and worked on his pass coverage abilities and the odd blitz. We need LBs we have a roster full of pass rush projects.

I think if Carter falters like he has expect Brown to fill his spot.

Brown played the pass well in coverage and could get after the QB.

20 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I like Ximines as a project player better simply because they are using him how he was used in college as a pass rusher/run defender.

I'm sick of hearing about how Carter has had an amazing camp blah blah blah just show me some results it's year three.

Your right they have to either just make Carter an off ball LB or a pass rusher stop trying to make him do both.

Personally I think Carter would excell if they just put him at LB and worked on his pass coverage abilities and the odd blitz. We need LBs we have a roster full of pass rush projects.

I think if Carter falters like he has expect Brown to fill his spot.

Brown played the pass well in coverage and could get after the QB.

When they drafted Carter I fully expected the Giants to put him in coverage and help him excel at it.  Our pass coverage at the linebacker position is abysmal.   Not going to have a pass rush if receivers are going to continue to run uncovered inside of 3 seconds.  It would be great to have  one player who can do both but lets just get one guy who can do this great and have another player focus on pass rush.

they're pretty different players. Ximines plays downhill, end of story with him, he can't turn and run. He's an edge rusher or defensive end in the NFL (if he bulks up). Carter has the physical talent to do a lot more, he can be an edge rusher or drop into traditional LB roles, but doesn't seem to have the focus or intensity to make an impact consistently. Maybe he had unknown injuries last year though? Not that I'm aware of, but I've mistaken a wounded player for an undriven player before. 

8 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

they're pretty different players. Ximines plays downhill, end of story with him, he can't turn and run. He's an edge rusher or defensive end in the NFL (if he bulks up). Carter has the physical talent to do a lot more, he can be an edge rusher or drop into traditional LB roles, but doesn't seem to have the focus or intensity to make an impact consistently. Maybe he had unknown injuries last year though? Not that I'm aware of, but I've mistaken a wounded player for an undriven player before. 

Giants were using Carter in coverage about 30-40% of his snaps.

35 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Giants were using Carter in coverage about 30-40% of his snaps.

Definitely where I'd put it too. 

I see your original point, about having Carter focus on one role. I don't think it's that complicated though, you either have the processing speed out there or you don't.

On 5/29/2020 at 3:36 PM, CrazedDogs said:

Definitely where I'd put it too. 

I see your original point, about having Carter focus on one role. I don't think it's that complicated though, you either have the processing speed out there or you don't.

I'd be pretty happy to keep Carter just in coverage so we can address the middle of the field being the reliable place opponents can convert on third down.

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

I'd be pretty happy to keep Carter just in coverage so we can address the middle of the field being the reliable place opponents can convert on third down.

Not since the days of AP/Mitchell have we had LBs on this team capable of covering a TE or the middle of the field.