SportsWrath

Flowers gets paid.

BlueInCanada

Honestly, if Dummy Jerry Reese didn't insist that he was a tackle maybe those Giants teams wouldn't have been quite so bad.  

Every FA left tackle he told that they'd have to be a RT on the team... and get paid RT money... so they all went and signed elsewhere. 

Reese's hubris led him right to the door. 

2 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Honestly, if Dummy Jerry Reese didn't insist that he was a tackle maybe those Giants teams wouldn't have been quite so bad.  

Every FA left tackle he told that they'd have to be a RT on the team... and get paid RT money... so they all went and signed elsewhere. 

Reese's hubris led him right to the door. 

I think the only way he becomes a decent guard is with Callahan, keep in mind he was a tackle there before Callahan decided to switch his position.

It's why I'm happy we have that Colombo now, him and Callahan are some of the best OL coaches in the NFL.

1 minute ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

way to much money for Flowers .......he will always be garbage despite not sucking too badly last season for the 2nd worst team in the NFL 

It's not bad, his first two years are about 10 million a year for a guy rated in the top 20 guards in the NFL.

Just wait till you see what the Giants are going to have to pay for Zeitler, guy is going to command 16+ million.

28 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

It's not bad, his first two years are about 10 million a year for a guy rated in the top 20 guards in the NFL.

Just wait till you see what the Giants are going to have to pay for Zeitler, guy is going to command 16+ million.

Zeitler will be like 300 years old by the time he's a free agent, no? 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the Giants should have moved him to Guard before outright releasing him.  There were other issues besides his ability to play tackle that lead to him being cut.  I think he will enjoy a level of success at Guard in the NFL but he will never be the dominate player that was expected when he was drafted.

10 hours ago, Tempest said:

I thought the Giants should have moved him to Guard before outright releasing him.  There were other issues besides his ability to play tackle that lead to him being cut.  I think he will enjoy a level of success at Guard in the NFL but he will never be the dominate player that was expected when he was drafted.

He refused to move to guard. It took the wake up call of being cut to get him to accept that move.

Let's not forget, Flowers wasn't just a bad player for us. He was also an idiotic asshole. 

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

He refused to move to guard. It took the wake up call of being cut to get him to accept that move.

Let's not forget, Flowers wasn't just a bad player for us. He was also an idiotic asshole. 

I'm sure Eli Manning didn't want to play backup QB his last year but he did.  If the Giants had another tackle on the roster who could play at that time, they could have moved Flowers to Guard.   Not about player wants but the needs of the team.

3 hours ago, Tempest said:

I'm sure Eli Manning didn't want to play backup QB his last year but he did.  If the Giants had another tackle on the roster who could play at that time, they could have moved Flowers to Guard.   Not about player wants but the needs of the team.

they cut Flowers mid-season. They had other tackles.

Not good ones. But better than Flowers.

If Flowers doesn't refuse to try a position change, he doesn't get cut. At least, not so soon. 

9 hours ago, Tempest said:

I thought the whole reason he was cut was because he was getting benched and refused to move positions.

it was, lol

not like it wasn't flat out said publicly that was among the reasons. 

We're getting back near the days of Bobby Hart. Remember too that Flowers and Hart refused the play the last game of the prior season. Refusing to change positions is precisely in character with that. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://nypost.com/2020/04/10/giants-mailbag-top-offensive-challenge-facing-jason-garrett/

We all know that the Giants’ O-line has been a horror for many years now. … How much of the Giants’ O-line problems were due to poor coaching (including stubbornly keeping Ereck Flowers as a tackle)? And with [Jason] Garrett as the new OC in tandem with his trusted O-line coach [Marc Colombo] who have a track record of developing stout offensive lines, is it reasonable or wishful thinking that we will see improved performance from the unit? — Bob Donnelly

Two valid questions. I put the blame on the failures of Ereck Flowers mostly on Flowers. He did not work hard enough to fix his glaring technique issues despite getting excellent coaching early in his career. Have you considered the front office (i.e. former GM Jerry Reese) did not want Flowers moved inside to guard because it would make his selection with the No. 9-overall pick look bad? One of the real disappointments of the Pat Shurmur regime was that it became evident he did not put together a strong staff. I do not think offensive line coach Hal Hunter was a good fit with Flowers.

• 4 weeks later...