SportsWrath

Jints Jazzed for Season to Start

Balloonknot

NY Post - Jints Jazzed for season to start

June 14, 2006 -- For their last segment of a three-month offseason workout program, the Giants today gather for the start of a three-day mandatory mini-camp that will include all veterans and rookies on the roster.

After this, the Giants (other than the rookies, who remain another week) take off until July 27, when all players report to training camp at the University at Albany. After another busy free-agent signing period, coupled with a few interesting - and somewhat eclectic - selections in the NFL Draft, the Giants believe they can improve on their 2005 record of 11-5 and erase the sting of a humiliating first-round ouster from the playoffs.

"We have a lot of talented guys on this team, and that's a good thing. It's better than not having talented guys," said linebacker LaVar Arrington, the most intriguing veteran addition, "but it's still how you work together and how hard you go after it."

There will be an array of talent on hand for three days at Giants Stadium, including tight end Jeremy Shockey, receiver Plaxico Burress and defensive tackle William Joseph, three players who eschewed the Giants program and instead worked out at the University of Miami. Of course, such non-compliance never sits well with Tom Coughlin, and all three had better be in top shape, or else risk the coach's wrath.

Not on the scene to participate in the passing-game workouts, Shockey and Burress have not worked with Eli Manning and the receiver-quarterback rapport on the field will likely take a while to return.

Still, this is merely one tuneup and the overwhelming feeling around the team is one of rampant optimism.

"Steve Tisch was at practice the other day," center Shaun O'Hara said of the team's co-owner, "and he said, 'Shaun, I'm so excited, I can't wait for the season to get started.' I said, 'You know what, I think a lot of players on the team are feeling the same way.' We don't want training camp to start yet, but we're ready for the season to start. I think we have the makings of something really special here right now."

"We have a lot of talented guys on this team, and that's a good thing. It's better than not having talented guys," said linebacker LaVar Arrington, the most intriguing veteran addition, "but it's still how you work together and how hard you go after it."

This is easily the least print-worthy quote I've ever seen. :clap:

I'm starting to get nervous about all the hype. Seems like it always brings out the worst in the gmen.

I agree but at the same time I think this year will be different and could turn that shit around. IMO the Giants are gonna be fucken monsters in the East and will rip some competition up.

I wouldn't worry so much about the players training at the U. If the results are there, then it's all irrelevant.

Our whole season depends on the further development of Eli: footwork, reads, arm strength, passing technique, etc.

If he continues to grow: we win. If he flounders, then we'll be 3nd in the NFC East and lucky to win a wild card over the Skins.

The good news is that the Beagles WR core is so shabby that I'm not worried about them at all. The skins are one hit away from a QB disaster and the Boys, well they're going to be hell this season.

OVerall, I'm pumped and we're going to be much better than many people expect. My fear isn't losing by talent, but by injury in the early stretch of the season.

Umm, I heard in a TV interview, Pierce stating, that he was waiting for his "Superbowl" tickets. So, he can have his family come and watch.

I don't like it when a member of our team makes such a bold prediction. But coming from him, a true leader, he must see something in this team. :rock:

I wouldn't worry so much about the players training at the U. If the results are there, then it's all irrelevant.

Our whole season depends on the further development of Eli: footwork, reads, arm strength, passing technique, etc.

If he continues to grow: we win. If he flounders, then we'll be 3nd in the NFC East and lucky to win a wild card over the Skins.

The good news is that the Beagles WR core is so shabby that I'm not worried about them at all. The skins are one hit away from a QB disaster and the Boys, well they're going to be hell this season.

OVerall, I'm pumped and we're going to be much better than many people expect. My fear isn't losing by talent, but by injury in the early stretch of the season.

they can lift weights and run in the sand all they want but the fact remains that Eli hasn't had one offseason in which all of his receivers actually run routes and timing is worked on.

irrelevant? somehow i don't think it's quite irrelevant.

Not on the scene to participate in the passing-game workouts, Shockey and Burress have not worked with Eli Manning and the receiver-quarterback rapport on the field will likely take a while to return

wonderful :doh:

• 1 year later...