SportsWrath

: Could the Giants be featured on HBO's 'Hard Knocks'?

fringe

NFL Minute: Could the Giants be featured on HBO's 'Hard Knocks'?

By Justin Rocke | February 21, 2019 1:06 pm ET

Share on Facebook Tweet Share on Whatsapp Share by Email

Recently, NFL.com listed the New York Giants as the most likely team to be selected to appear on HBOs Hard Knocks this summer.

While teams hate to be a part of it, a team can avoid it only if it meets one of the following criteria: It has a first-year head coach; it made the playoffs in at least one of last two seasons; or it appeared on the show at some point in the last 10 years.

Unfortunately for Big Blues fan base, New York qualifies under all three parameters.

Not to mention the fact that the Giants call the biggest city in the country home and feature the likes of budding megastar Saquon Barkley, the always quotable Odell Beckham Jr., and of course, the drama surrounding the end of Eli Mannings career.

While Tim Benz believes Jon Gruden and the Oakland Raiders would make for a more laughable show, he certainly understands why the Giants may draw the assignment.

I'd watch it, but.... when has that ever been a good thing for the team on the show? Pretty much guarantees that the team will suck into perpetuity.

The Giants will suck regardless of the show or not.

Honestly though, would be a great watch, I don't know why people wouldn't want it.

I'm not saying they haven't earned it....

Wasn't part of the reason for Finding Giants as an exception from doing Hard Knocks for a while?

Finding Giants was an NFL thing, Hard Knocks is HBO.

And I wasnt a fan of finding Giants, it was basically "Scouts scout stuff, GMs make the decision"

OH REALLY?!?!?

lol

Finding Giants was an NFL thing, Hard Knocks is HBO.

And I wasnt a fan of finding Giants, it was basically "Scouts scout stuff, GMs make the decision"

OH REALLY?!?!?

lol

ha, yeah, and it turned out a portent of things to come. The Giants scouts came off as completely inept.

'der, I always scout this college because they have good candy'

no wonder that several years later we're looking back on losing seven of the last eight seasons.

As long as FO gets some linemen this offseason and has a plan to replace Eli..itcan be deemed a success.

Read an article this morning that made a lot of sense for us trading back from 6, acquiring picks, and still getting linemen. I am looking more and more at a bridge QB in free agency this year, roll with Eli next year on a pay cut, starting the bridge QB if needed.

If the consensus is that we're gonna suck, might as well dump salary of aging players and get as many picks as possible.

I dont think Manning would ever take a pay cut.

I understood gmenroc to mean season after next because this year is 2019 season. So he would not have a contract to cut in 2020. And I don’t know what any of this has to do with hard Knox

No...I meant this year. If we are resigned to suckage in 2019...might as well cut salary in doing so. I'm no longer in favor of letting vets finish out contracts as some sort of thank you for years of service. If you don't produce, we need to move on.

And as much as I love Eli, he hasn't earned his check in a long time.

As long as FO gets some linemen this offseason and has a plan to replace Eli..itcan be deemed a success.

Read an article this morning that made a lot of sense for us trading back from 6, acquiring picks, and still getting linemen. I am looking more and more at a bridge QB in free agency this year, roll with Eli next year on a pay cut, starting the bridge QB if needed.

If the consensus is that we're gonna suck, might as well dump salary of aging players and get as many picks as possible.

I don't think anyone trades up to six though.

I have never heard of a bridge quarterback and setting your sites on mediocrity is not something I would suggest.

I'm with fringe.

And I don't think Eli taking a pay cut is realistic unless you're also extending his contract. And in that case, he still makes same as he would have in 2019, you're just pushing the cap cost off to 2020 and beyond. If the Giants go QB in the draft, there's no point in extending Eli.