SportsWrath

Phil Simms talks JPP

Mr. P

Giants great Phil Simms became the latest person to criticize defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul for how he handled things following his Fourth of July fireworks accident.

In an interview on SiriusXM on Thursday, Simms said that Pierre-Paul should have allowed Giants officials to visit him, if only because the organization was almost certainly thinking about more than football at the time.

“I know most of the organizations in the NFL, and I know I played for the New York Giants and everything, but I believe in them and trust them more than any organization maybe in sports,” Simms said. “They will bite the bullet sometimes and do the wrong thing for the franchise and the right thing for the person. And that’s why, it’s easy for me to say, but if I had been JPP and his adviser, I’d say, ‘Go ahead, they are going to do the right thing by you.’

“That’s why I would have been different (in that situation) because I believe that strongly in the people that run the organization.”

The Giants have a history of looking out for players instead of finances, most recently in the case of running back David Wilson, who was not cut until February despite having his career ended by a neck injury last August.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-insider-jpp-trusted-team-fireworks-article-1.2302821

That is easy for Phil to say from the comfort of retirement, but JPP has a career to think about, and even well intentioned visits can lead to someone noticing something and relaying it to ownership, hurting JPP's marketability.

I'm hoping this inspires JPP to become the best player he can be, hopefully for us, but I think he was correct in keeping team officials out of his room.

I think it was shortsighted to keep them in the dark. Eventually he will have to take a physical, the team will find out everything sooner or later. And he would have had the benefit of their insight.

I can kind of understand feeling cynical, but in this case the cynicism will prove to be self-fulfilling.

Guess it's a matter of trust and clearly, JPP didn't trust the Giants to put his best interests in front of the team's. Keep in mind too, this was only a day or two into what was obviously a traumatic time for him and people tend to trust less when they are scared. In time, I think he'll come to understand that was a mistake. The bigger question is whether the Giants will ever really forgive and forget.....because my guess is there are some folks in that front office who aren't real big JPP fans right now. They'll protect their assets, so they're not about to simply cut him but they're sure as shit not real happy with him.

That is easy for Phil to say from the comfort of retirement, but JPP has a career to think about, and even well intentioned visits can lead to someone noticing something and relaying it to ownership, hurting JPP's marketability.

I'm hoping this inspires JPP to become the best player he can be, hopefully for us, but I think he was correct in keeping team officials out of his room.

So... He should be allowed to hide his injury in hopes of landing a deal first? Wow.

Sure he does, he absolutely had a choice to not let giants employees in.

and technically he isn't employed by anybody right now, the giants hold his rights, but he isn't their employee until he signs.

Yeah if course he has to pass a physical, but you think in the hospital he doesn't have confidentiality? I'd be shocked.

His confidentiality is limited to his medical records. If his employer wants to confirm that he has all of his fucking digits before signing him to a multi-million dollar contract, no laws of confidentiality are compromised. It's just a sound business practice.

His confidentiality is limited to his medical records. If his employer wants to confirm that he has all of his fucking digits before signing him to a multi-million dollar contract, no laws of confidentiality are compromised. It's just a sound business practice.

Yes and no. It's more complicated because the player's rights are involved. Giants own the rights to JPP...but at the same time, JPP is not employed by the Giants. What we have, is a stalemate.

Giants - it makes business sense to want to know what you're investing big money into. It makes sense to want to know as much about JPP's injury as possible before offering a long term deal.

JPP - as much speculation as there has been and as much information as has been leaked, we don't know recovery times, we don't know about reduced ability on the field, we don't know about whether one poor decision will lead to others. But if you look at it from his perspective, he doesn't want to volunteer ANY information in hopes that past production speaks for itself. With the franchise tag, he has few options.

At the end of the day, he has two options...sign the tag or don't sign the tag. The teams hold all the cards in these circumstances. So JPP doesn't sign the tag...what do the Giants do? Hold his rights and don't pay him because there is no contract. So JPP does sign....what do the Giants do? Inspect the hand rigorously, potentially put him on some form of IR - making it optional to pay him, Giants allow him to play this year - likely offering him an easy-to-obtain incentive-laden deal, which he'll likely rebuff and sign with some other team NEXT year.

But for this year, JPP is a screwed into being a Giant, whether he wants it or not. He needs to realize that because the team holds all the cards, he needs to sign, show up, play well, and bolt next year.

I think the most prudent course of action would have been for the Giants to call JPP's agent to arrange the visit, instead of just jumping on a flight and heading there, which helped create an awkward situation.

I'm not excusing JPP - frankly, I think his talent has always exceeded his intelligence and commitment.

I agree with Simms on this, but I also think the Giants could have handled it differently, too.

I agree with Simms on this, but I also think the Giants could have handled it differently, too.

Yup. They could have, and should have, withdrawn the franchise tag and let the grand pooba of stupid try getting a job somewhere else.

Where have I disagreed with any of that?

^^^

Where have I disagreed with any of that?

^^^

JPP will have to pass a physical and allow team doctors to examine his hand before he signs a contract, everyone understands that. I said he was right to maintain his confidentiality while not under contract and while in his hospital room. I never implied he should rush to sign a contract that wasn't offered before team officials saw his hand, I said he should look after his best interest and maintain his confidentiality until the time comes he is advised to let team doctors examine his hand.

I didn't realize that would be a controversial idea.

JPP will have to pass a physical and allow team doctors to examine his hand before he signs a contract, everyone understands that. I said he was right to maintain his confidentiality while not under contract and while in his hospital room. I never implied he should rush to sign a contract that wasn't offered before team officials saw his hand, I said he should look after his best interest and maintain his confidentiality until the time comes he is advised to let team doctors examine his hand.

and welcome to Sportswrath

And now hes a no show at training camp. Brilliant.

I know the Giants maintain his rights this year no matter what unless they lift the tag. I know too, if the Giants pull the tag, he'd be an immediate free agent.

What happens if the Giants do not pull the tag AND JPP doesn't sign it? Does JPP get paid/count against the cap?

Would JPP really go a full season without getting paid? How much would that hurt his value for next offseason?